•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One of the finest purpose-built scopes ever made!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:07 PM

This scope was epic!  It was designed and built in the Halley era to show the the great comet.

The Halleyscope!

Lest you think it not up to the  task, witness this image of the moon!

Now, the image quality...leaves something to be desired, admittedly.  smile.gif

But stripped of its eyepiece which is needed for infinity camera focus (one reason I dislike digiscoping) it's not bad.   The lamp harp imaged at 20ft shows reasonable detail.

Meanwhile, the sheer insanity of digiscoping means the scope operates (at its top power) at an f-ratio of about 68 causing diffraction to OBLITERATE detail in the image. Now, if I only had a camera coupler that was about 1 inch shorter, it could work at prime-focus.

Attached Thumbnails

• Halleyscope itself.jpg
  • Halleyscope Moon.jpg
  • halley scope lamp harp.jpg

Edited by RichA, 04 June 2020 - 04:25 PM.

• jim kuhns likes this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:17 PM

interesting

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:11 PM

...clearly one of the finest optical instruments to ever grace the consumer market..! tongue2.gif

#4 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Sputnik

• Vendors
  • Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:48 PM

When i worked in the photo industry i was lucky enough to attend the photo marketing association (PMA) convention every year. It started in chicago but by the eighties it was in vegas every year around february. Either 86 or 87 when i attended i saw the halleyscope at their booth at the convention. To me it just looked like a rebranded and packaged spotting scope. They hyped it as the best way to view the comet and even though i expressed my doubts to their reps, i dont think they paid any attention, they probably sold thousands to camera stores. Edmund scientific was their also giving away free jumping discs which were cool and i do remember purchasing  a portable digital PH meter at the PMA that year (70-100 bucks) which i used in my work for a couple of years till it broke. 

It got me thinking that i dont remember ever seeing meade or celestron or any other big scope manufacturers at those shows. I wasnt into the hobby at that time in my life but i was as a kid and certainly would have stopped and looked if unitron for instance had a booth. I know camera stores carried telescopes in the 70's and 80's. those were big shows, i guess i could have missed them. So good for halley scope for sticking in my brain all these years, they are good memories.

#5 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:53 AM

Never buy anything optical with "Halley" imprinted on it.  ;)

• gnabgib and Terra Nova like this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:51 PM

I only have one thing to say about this scope. No, I'd better not! :lol:

#7 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:06 PM

Is it mounted wrong?

. . . and the lamp photo does indeed show detail

Edited by Garyth64, 05 June 2020 - 02:09 PM.

#8 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:19 PM

Never buy anything optical with "Halley" imprinted on it.  wink.gif

Generally true, but I quite like my Televue 101 Renaissance Halley's Comet Edition. 

TV-01.jpg

• tim53, Astrojensen, steve t and 4 others like this

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:18 PM

Never buy anything optical with "Halley" imprinted on it.  wink.gif

Well, not quite everything... rofl2.gif

EdmundHalleysScope.png

• tim53, steve t, PawPaw and 1 other like this

#10 icomet

icomet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:39 PM

Was the moon photo taken through a window while the lawn sprinklers were on, hitting the window?  belushi.gif

Edited by icomet, 06 June 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#11 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

That's just cold

#12 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami Fl.

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:12 PM

I have one of these Halleyscopes and I don't remember the images being so bad on the moon. I haven't used it in a while but I will take it out again when I get a chance. Last time I used it I was pretty impressed lol.

#13 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

Posted 10 June 2020 - 11:13 PM

Hey KoKathaman, if I didn't know any better I would swear that is very, very similar to the scope that was shown in the first Indiana Jones movie in the scene where they go see the "old man" who tells them about the inscriptions on the "head-piece".  

"..they're digging in the wrong place......bad dates!..."

I Like the scope, is it refractor or gregorian?

Clear skies, yeah, don't I wish!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#14 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 11 June 2020 - 11:09 PM

Hey KoKathaman, if I didn't know any better I would swear that is very, very similar to the scope that was shown in the first Indiana Jones movie in the scene where they go see the "old man" who tells them about the inscriptions on the "head-piece".  

"..they're digging in the wrong place......bad dates!..."

I Like the scope, is it refractor or gregorian?

Clear skies, yeah, don't I wish!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

...you've had me go back through all those links to try & dig up anything about the scopes Halley used & this one that I posted in particular..no luck - but I wouldn't bet too much on Indie or his Dad having owned it - but you never know..! lol.gif

Halley probably used a few & his resume is pretty impressive btw: played a significant role encouraging, proof-reading & editing as well as funding Isaac Newton's Principia, among many other things including the designing of a diving bell that took him & others to the bottom of the Thames River 60 feet under...but if I was taking a punt I'd suggest it was a Gregorian as these were the most-used types at that time...

Glad you asked because although I had a fleeting awareness of Halley's significance, his achievements are far more comprehensive in many fields than I ever previously realised..! waytogo.gif

#15 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 June 2020 - 12:47 AM

I have one of these Halleyscopes and I don't remember the images being so bad on the moon. I haven't used it in a while but I will take it out again when I get a chance. Last time I used it I was pretty impressed lol.

Sometimes optics don't play well with cameras that work ok for eyes.  Microscopes are worse than telescopes, on average.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics