•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NEW ETX125 Alignment issues!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Auburn, MI

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:14 PM

Hello everyone,

I searched for my issue here but couldn’t really find it so here I go.

Ok I’m pretty versed at using Autostar and the original Classic controllers but I’m testing out a brand new ETX125 Audiostar for a friend of mine. I just got it yesterday and went thru and setup the location, date, time, GMT, Daylight savings time. Did all the leveling and true north alignment and easy alignment option.  The 1st alignment star is Capella and slews close to Vega.

At first I thought maybe I went minus on the GMT time but its not I’m set correctly at +5. Time is within a second, and my location is input to the minute and not just the closest city.

This thing is a mile off here and I’m trying to figure out if I’m missing something here. Is there something that I didn’t do (Like miss a new setting I’m not aware of???) or is this something that others have had issues with too or maybe a glitch in the software that made it thru to the consumer???

Honestly I don’t think I’m missing anything here (However I’ve been wrong before!) this should be just as easy as my Autostar on my lx200gps scopes but maybe I’m wrong???

Any insight before contacting the retailer would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dale

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Gemini

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:32 PM

Gday Dale

What firmware???

Are you sure the selected model is correct??

Have you tried a manual 2 star align??

If all the above is OK, the first test is always a crude spin test.

ie hold the mode key down for several seconds and release to get to the alternate menus.

Scroll to the AltAz screen and note the "reported" positions

Using the setting circles as a reference, manually slew by 90deg in each axis.

Does the Hbx report moving 90deg or something else??

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• Dale Penkala likes this

#3 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:35 PM

Not knowing your location, it is hard to tell if the offset is correct, but -5 would be for CST. There has been multiple cases of time issues, I have also experienced it with my LX200 and I have left DST off. My suggestion would be to change the offset until the scope points correctly, and then try to figure out why that offset works. I know that is a strange approach, but it works!

#4 Dale Penkala

Dale Penkala

Vendor - Astro Pens

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Auburn, MI

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:10 PM

Not knowing your location, it is hard to tell if the offset is correct, but -5 would be for CST. There has been multiple cases of time issues, I have also experienced it with my LX200 and I have left DST off. My suggestion would be to change the offset until the scope points correctly, and then try to figure out why that offset works. I know that is a strange approach, but it works!

Got it guys!

thanks for the replies!

#5 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:15 PM

Andrew, just realized you posted while I was typing. You are such a great source of info, it is great having you chime in!!

I will add a little more about a time issue I have experienced. I was finally able to take the time, pun intended, to update my scope for the GPS patch. I am still under cloud cover so have not been able to check for star alignment, but do have an interesting issue related to time.

My GPS now functions again, but if I put the proper GMT offset in, my local time is only correct if I turn DST off. If I have DST on and I want local time correct, I have to put in the wrong GMT offset. I am not sure which combination will point correctly to stars since I do have clouds. Just wondering if this makes any sense or could provide any info that relates this issue to the OP.

#6 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Gemini

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:41 PM

Gday Chuck

The answer is maybe :-)

The ETX clocks run in local time and convert to UTC to do calcs.

The LX200 clocks run in native UTC and convert to local for the Hbx.

The site timezone should be set to the non DST setting and then never touched.

The DST menu setting should then be toggled as required

What i always suggest users do is set the date time however they do it

and then go to the Hbx and pressnhold mode to get to the alternate menus.

Scroll to the local time screen and see if it is correct.

Then scroll to the LST screen and use a web based app to confirm your current LST.

If that is correct, then all is well.

If not, the normal problems are the sites timezone has been changed to suit DST

then the DST setting has been toggled, or the longitude is wrong, or the time has been "tweaked".

ie, if you use an ASCOM driver, many times it will tweak your time to match the PC on connecting

and if this is wrong, it can really screw up the internal clocks.

#7 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:20 AM

I have used ASCOM in the past for imaging sessions, and hopefully will be again this summer. If that is the problem, I guess I will just have to live with it.

Now that I have the GPS operational again, I have it come on at power-up rather than waiting for alignment. I was worried about sequencing, so I have set DST and GMT offset and then cycle power. I have thought about timezones boundaries as I am on the very western side of my timezone, but it seems to want me in the timezone to the east.

Soooo, I guess the question is do I really care about local time. Since I get time and location from the GPS, does everything work correctly if I have the GMT offset or DST wrong. I guess the question is, does any code depend on local time other than to just display it??

On a different note, my OTA had one side come loose and I lost orthogonality a few years ago. I had tried fixing it several different ways, but could never get it just right. While uploading the patch, I was looking at a pine tree due north of my pier. I cranked my wedge nearly to it's limit when I was able to get to the crown of that tree. It didn't take very long and I got to the point that I could rotate the scope 360* with the very top of the crown staying in the center of a 12mm ep. Considering I started with it going out of view with a 32mm ep, I think this will be a big improvement. Now I get to look forward to spending time getting good PA again. This hobby never gets boring!!!

#8 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Gemini

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:30 AM

Gday Chuck

If that is the problem, I guess I will just have to live with it.

Nahh, its a setting option in the driver. Just disable it, if it is set to synch the mount to the PC ;-)

I have thought about timezones boundaries as I am on the very western side of my timezone, but it seems to want me in the timezone to the east.

The time zone is only used to calc the local time, which applies to yr whole state.

The LST is the gold standard data, as it is based on UTC and longitude, not just local time.

If ever in doubt re the settings, confirm your reported LST is correct.

On a different note, my OTA had one side come loose and I lost orthogonality a few years ago.

Another easy way ( as long as you dont get shot as a terrorist along the way ), is to set up under a nearby hi voltage power transmission tower ( or high bridge if available ). Just focus on the upper arms and you can spin and tweak quite easily in AltAz, and nothing is under extreme load.

#9 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:51 AM

I had thought of something straight up, but nothing was convenient. Our local power is underground and the high voltage transmission lines are on steep hills with rough terrain that I didn't want to take the scope to. As for bridges, I didn't want to set up in the water either. I could have driven into town, but didn't want to deal with the questions I would get!

Q: What are you doing?

A: Well officer, I am just going around doing an insulator inspection to see if any have cracks!! :-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics