•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tak FS 102 mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 greenstars3

greenstars3

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:29 PM

I will be picking up a Tak FS 102 in a few days, it comes with a losmandy plate and rings. I have an AVX mount that I use for a 180 Mewlon. Would the AVX work well for visual with this FS 102 and could you make some suggestions for a mount for it, I want to keep using the Mewlon and will need another mount.

Robert  

#2 rustynpp

rustynpp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NYC

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:36 PM

Do you prefer alt-az or would you like to stick with EQ? Do you need go-to or DSCs? What's your budget?

I use a Stellarvue M2 on a steel column and heavy duty surveyor's tripod with great success with my 4" doublet. It comes with a dual Vixen/Losmandy shoe, which is nice.

Congrats on the new scope!

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by rustynpp, 03 June 2020 - 10:58 PM.

#3 greenstars3

greenstars3

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:00 PM

rustynpp

Thanks for your reply, the only thing that comes to mind as far as a requirement is tracking, every thing else is secondary. The only alt-az I have is a 15" dob and it works great but I have not hooked up the tracking.  

So I guess the only question is funding, would be looking for something less that $1400. How is the ioptron mount?

Robert

#4 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:39 AM

I use my vintage FC-100 (which AFAIK is fairly similar in size and weight to the FS-102) on an EQ5 mount with tracking motors added. Nice economical option.

Edited by db2005, 04 June 2020 - 12:40 AM.

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:10 AM

The AVX will be absolutely fine with that scope for visual other than having a Vixen saddle and you are getting a Losmandy plate with the Tak. Unless you upgraded the saddle. The beauty of an Eq Mount is it can carry different tubes, so you could use the AVX for the Apo or the Mewlon. Or even both at once. A buddy put a C8 and 100ED on his AVX with a side by side saddle. So I’m not sure what you need another mount for unless it would be to get something lighter and more portable. Unless you just always leave your scopes mounted and ready to pick up and run out the door for maximum convenience.

Scott

#6 greenstars3

greenstars3

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:31 AM

SeattleScott

I never thought about mounting them both on the AVX, that is an interesting idea, I upgraded the AVX with an ADM Losmandy saddle for the Mewlon so the FS 102 will go right on. I leave the scopes set up in a RoR.

I will look into that, thanks.(I may need to build a larger RoR lol.gif )

Robert

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics