•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which Starlight adapter for the Leica Zoom EP?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 silicon

silicon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver-Aurora MSA, CO, USA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:15 AM

I would like to purchase one of the Leica zoom eyepieces I have heard so much about on this forum over the years. Starlight Instruments seems to have two Leica adapters - does anyone recall which they bought to fit their eyepiece?

Thanks!

#2 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:44 AM

Looking at my order history I have this one; http://starlightinst...&product_id=266

It was the only one that they offered when I bought it. 

#3 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:58 AM

I would like to purchase one of the Leica zoom eyepieces I have heard so much about on this forum over the years. Starlight Instruments seems to have two Leica adapters - does anyone recall which they bought to fit their eyepiece?

Thanks!

Which Leica Zoom eyepiece are you planning to buy?

What Doug showed is for the second generation of Leica Televid spotting scope.

Parts #: EA20-EP2-L-40---EYEPIECE ADAPTER FOR LEICA EYEPIECE

I see Starlight Instruments has one for the first generation Leica spotting scope, too.

Parts #: EA20-EP2-L-37---EYEPIECE ADAPTER FOR LEICA EYEPIECE)

http://starlightinst...&product_id=491

Tammy

#4 silicon

silicon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

Thanks to both of you, Doug and Tammy. As I will buy it at retail, I expect it will be the 2nd generation, so I should get the EA20-EP2-L-40. 

#5 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:35 PM

huh, different versions?

I had to take a dremel to mine to get it to fit the 1.8x extender (it was also tight on the main body of the eyepiece).

I wonder if I got a version that was not quite compatible.

I know the version I have doesn't have standard 2" threads on the bottom. It screws in the smaller threads from the A-P barlow.

#6 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

Thanks!

The second adapter is a new one - I asked Wayne to make it for an older Leica prime eyepiece from the original Televid. It fits the older primes (B20, B32, B40) and the original 7-22 Zoom.

The newer 25-50x zoom is dimensionally different than the older eyepieces and the adapters are not interchangeable! 

I believe the -40 product number is the one you want - but verify with Wayne at Starlight.

#7 silicon

silicon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

huh, different versions?

I had to take a dremel to mine to get it to fit the 1.8x extender (it was also tight on the main body of the eyepiece).

I wonder if I got a version that was not quite compatible.

I know the version I have doesn't have standard 2" threads on the bottom. It screws in the smaller threads from the A-P barlow.

I've ordered the EA20-EP2-L-40 and will pickup a "Leica Eyepiece 25-50x WW ASPH" locally once I receive it. If I have similar fitting problems, I will report back. (silence can be interpreted as success).

Wayne at Starlight Instruments told me that both adapters have M42 and M48 threading (which I read about from one of Tammy's other posts).

• areyoukiddingme likes this

#8 silicon

silicon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

The second adapter is a new one - I asked Wayne to make it for an older Leica prime eyepiece from the original Televid. It fits the older primes (B20, B32, B40) and the original 7-22 Zoom.

The newer 25-50x zoom is dimensionally different than the older eyepieces and the adapters are not interchangeable! 

I believe the -40 product number is the one you want - but verify with Wayne at Starlight.

Thanks Jeff, that gives me context for some of the information Wayne provided (I expect from you, though he did not disclose which customer asked for the -37 adapter). 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics