•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Analyzing iEQ45 Pro RA performance

mount
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 freiform

freiform

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:20 AM

Hi,

maybe someone can help me analyzing the RA performance of my mount. I bought it used last weekend, and while I can get a (ASCOM-) guided RMS of around 0.8" to 0.9", I think (or wish) it could perform a little bit better.

ieq45pro-RAraw.png

Looking at the logs, I get a peak of 7.1" (~14" pp) with a period of 336.8s, which is spot on for the PE interval of 336.6s calculated from the 256 teeth of the RA worm wheel. Looking at the logs also shows that I probably could increase the settling time after dithering.

Anyway, I wonder if I could reduce the magnitude of the PE a bit. Browsing the Web, I found different vaules and claims for the iEQ45Pro ranging from 4" (propably not pp) to 32". Any Ideas? 

I read that PEC & Autoguiding do not work together with this mount?

Thanks for any hints

Sven

Attached Files

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:46 AM

What is your scope & camera ?

I wouldn't bother too much with pe curves and numbers. What you have now sounds good for mount of this class.

And as long stars look good in your images...

#3 freiform

freiform

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:27 AM

It carries an 72/432 ED with an ASI183MM Pro, so I am at 1.15" per pixel. I'd prefer a but more headroom with respect to RMS. Having said that, that PE should guide out anyway. sp maybe there's other knobs to tweak general guiding performance.

Sven

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:17 AM

If you like tweaking you might want to try Predictive PEC.

Mind you, if RA and DEC results differ too much then that can produce oblong stars too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics