•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

15MM eyepieces; opinions on AT vs TV vs ES 50-60 degree FOV and cost

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota North Suburbs of Minneapolis

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:56 PM

All,

I do enjoy and unfortunately at times like this (potentially working from home until Septemeber!) research & purchase eyepieces. I need to update my signature to better reflect what I have. I own a 14" ES 82 degree and a 17.5 inch Nagler Type 4. While I do not "need" a 15mm eyepiece, I would like to consider one at say 15MM. This would be for a AT72 72mm 430mm FL and a *8" Celestron SCT. I think for fathers day I will get a 102MM 650 MM FL telescope mostly for ease of use with others at my house and friends so an interesting fathers day gift but at least it is a telescope item!

So we have AT Paradigm ED $60 60 FOV 

TV Plossl $115 ($96) 50 FOV

ES $75 ($58) 52 FOV

What are your thoughts? As usual hope Don the Starman weighs in I know he provides  a couple of these as do our CN sponsor. Tempted to buy all 3 and see, then sell the rest as they are not cost prohibitive. I can observe with or without glasses. All things equal more eye relief is better. Reasonable eye relief though is almost a necessaty as I observe as a hobby.

Members could expand this topic too, I guess,looking at  other ranges of FOV vs cost close to the 60 degree, but the object is keeping cost lower and in the same ballpark. I also find these 3 choice to be very solid eyepieces using quality verses cost and, better than other cheaper or similar options. Maybe other find the Orior or Celestron ones superior to these 3. I have found these three brands (Other than the Olivon 70 degree which I really, really like especially in 2" size and is 70 not the 50-60 I am looking at) to be superior quality.

VO

Shawn

#2 Rock22

Rock22

Messenger

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:40 PM

I had the ES 52-deg 15mm out last night with my 80mm f/7 apo.  I had the scope on my Vixen Porta II looking at Jupiter, Saturn, and the moon.  The optics on the apo are good with all of my eyepieces, but the 15mm on the moon's edge was excellent last night.  I see no chromatic aberration in my scope, so bright objects are a joy to look at.

In fact, I had a good time with all 3 of my ES 52-deg eyepieces last night - 4.5mm, 6.5mm, and 15mm.  The 4.5mm was a surprise because I noticed one of Jupiter's moons at the edge of the field stop suffered no distortion.  The views do dim quite a bit with the 4.5mm and 6.5mm so okay for planets.  The 15mm was very good on the moon.  Planets were small in the 15mm, but the moon's details were a joy to look at.

In my other scopes with longer f-ratios, the 6.5mm 52-deg eyepiece stands out more than the 15mm or 4.5mm, especially in my 7" f/15 mak.

Hope this helps you in choosing a 15mm eyepiece for your scope.

• Volvonium likes this

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:01 PM

I feel like you have it bracketed by nice UWAs that will outclass these eyepieces, particularly in terms of FOV. Would you even use a 15mm narrow AFOV eyepiece? Is this the low cost “outreach” eyepiece so people don’t get fingerprints or eyelash oil on the Nagler?

Scott

#4 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota North Suburbs of Minneapolis

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

It may be an academic question in some respects. The 17 MM Nagler is quite large. The eye relief seems a little tight on the ES. I agree I probably am good that is why I did choose inexpensive items so not to invest too much for redundant eyepieces. I some put my refractor and mt SCT out at the same time so it is nice to have similar eyepieces as they usually look at different target and select an appropriate magnification for what I am viewing.

Spending 250-300 $$ on a redundant eyepiece seems a bit of  waste I agree.

VO

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 naramsin

naramsin

Vostok 1

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

I like this focal length a lot, and have (or had) many examples. It works really well with my 6" F8 Newt. I would not easily part with my ES 16mm 68°. Or my TV plössls (mine are older 17mm). Both are very small compared to others. These I use in a binoviewer on the Newt and a 4" Mak.

I even found that the cheap Orion Expanse (and their clones) work really well this way (BTW, they are not, in my experience, very good when used as single EPs). As a singleton, the 15mm Luminos 82° is not bad.

But the real beauty is not the eyepieces, but the binoviewer experience. Views of the moon are astonishing, and very comfortable.

I'm wondering if going this direction instead would be worthwhile for you?

And I can't tell from the scopes you mentioned, but the other reason the 15mm is so good with my Newt is that it gives me a ~2mm exit pupil, which provides best photopic acuity. As I learned here on the forum, you just double the F number of your scope to get the focal length that yields a 2mm exit pupil.

Edited by naramsin, 04 June 2020 - 05:53 PM.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

I feel like you have it bracketed by nice UWAs that will outclass these eyepieces, particularly in terms of FOV. Would you even use a 15mm narrow AFOV eyepiece? Is this the low cost “outreach” eyepiece so people don’t get fingerprints or eyelash oil on the Nagler?

Scott

I have the 16 mm type 5 Nagler, the 13 mm Ethos and 13mm and 11 mm Type 6 Naglers and I use the 12 mm Paradigm on a frequent basis. 

60° is not narrow.. the eye relief is comfortable and it's sharp across the field in my fast scopes.. it's plenty good enough..

I don't have the 15 mm Paradigm but both the 12mm and 15 mm are 6 elements in 4 groups and if the 15 mm is comparable to the 12 mm, I can recommend it.

Jon

• mrsjeff likes this

#7 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:01 AM

15mm Delite 62°.  Great performance, 20mm eye relief, well-behaved exit pupil. Expensive and addictive.

Edited by 25585, 05 June 2020 - 07:04 AM.

• russell23 and jeffmac like this

#8 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:58 AM

If you are willing to spend $256 for a 15mm DeLite it will provide you with excellent edge performance in that 72mm f/6 refractor.  My 18.2mm DeLite was my primary eyepiece with a 60mm f/6 refractor.  Very few eyepieces at that FL or longer could handle the field curvature.  I had a 15mm Paradigm once.  Very nice eyepiece but had outer field astigmatism in a 130mm f/7.5 APO.  The 72mm f/6 will severely challenge it and the others on your list.

Edited by russell23, 05 June 2020 - 09:00 AM.

• jeffmac likes this

#9 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

I can vouch for the 15mm DeLite. It is excellent, although it doesn't quite fit your implied expenditure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics