•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question regarding Guiding with ZWO ASiAir V1 ...

astrophotography CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sealyons

Sealyons

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Springfield, MA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

I'm just getting started in AP and using the ZWO ASiAir V1 (app V1.4.3 / firmware 5.05). My scope is an Astro-Tech AT92 w/ FF2 flattener and I'm using the ZWO ASI1600MM Pro camera and ZWO ASI120MM-S guide camera w/ ZWO 60mm guide scope. I'm also using the ZWO EFW8 and my mount is the EQ6-R Pro. My mount connection is via a Shoestring direct USB to hand-controller cable (and I'm not using the ST4 connection on my guide camera). I'm controlling everything via my Samsung Galaxy S10+ phone and the Air Android app. I believe I've configured everything via the Air app and the main camera, EFW8 and mount all appear to be working OK. I am able to complete PA and select targets via Air Goto and SkySafari 6 Pro. I can define and run sequences. But I seem to be having trouble getting guiding working. It doesn't appear to be allowing me to select a guide star. When I have the histogram displayed, clicking on it doesn't display the guide star selection display (selecting it does nothing). What might be wrong and how can I get the guide camera working properly? Thanks for any guidance.

Edited by Sealyons, 04 June 2020 - 03:07 PM.

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

Look at about 23 minutes 30 seconds here.

It is also shown here.

• Gostock likes this

#3 Gostock

Gostock

Sputnik

• Loc: West Michigan, USA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:16 PM

You have a nice setup.  In the ASIAir guider display, are the stars fairly sharp?  I have ASIAir with ASI290MM and OAG - I do often fuss with the guide camera gain, exposure time, and focus in order to see an acceptable guide star.  Once I have done all that adjustment, I can press on a star and see its histogram.  Then click on the Start Guiding/cross hair button.  It does work, but usually takes few tries.

In my experience, the ASIAir does not allow you to pick every possible guide star - only the stars that it judges as acceptable for guiding.  I hope this helps.

Edited by Gostock, 04 June 2020 - 03:47 PM.

#4 Sealyons

Sealyons

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can't see whether the guide stars are sharp because I can't get to that display. When I click on the guide graph, I'm not taken to the guide star selection display, nothing is displayed.

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:28 PM

Try connecting your guide scope as the main camera and checking the focus (and exposure).

#6 Gostock

Gostock

Sputnik

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:20 PM

Please double-check the your guide camera has been configured properly in the inital ASIAir startup.

Then on the main screen, click the Guide button on left (just above Plate Solve button).  Then click onto the graph that is hovering there. 

You should then see the following screen.  Do you see this?

ASIAir Guide 1

Follow these steps on the screen:
1) Click the Image Refresh Button
2) Click the desired guide star
3) Click the Start Guiding button

Note: This is an old screen shot from the manual.

Edited by Gostock, 04 June 2020 - 08:26 PM.

#7 Sealyons

Sealyons

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:29 PM

No. That is my issue. When I click the graph, it doesn't show this screen, it shows nothing. I understand how it's supposed to work, I don't understand why my system isn't showing what it's supposed to.

#8 Gostock

Gostock

Sputnik

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

Ok - it sounds like you are doing everything right.  Are you able to install the ASIAir app on another device - perhaps a tablet?  I wonder if there is a device issue?

I am using iOS and running the ASIAir app on an iPad.  That screen will appear even with no devices attached to the ASIAir.  The Android app should act in the same manner, but I do not know for sure.

You might also consider posting your question on the Facebook ZWO ASIAIR group to see if others are having a similar problem.

Please let us know what you uncover.  Thanks!

Edited by Gostock, 04 June 2020 - 08:59 PM.

#9 Sealyons

Sealyons

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:02 PM

Unfortunately I don't have another phone/tablet to try this with. I have already posted this question earlier this afternoon on the ZWO Facebook page, no responses so far. Seems strange that I'm having guiding problems since everything else appears to have worked fine. It certainly was great not having to deal with lugging my laptop outside and having control of everything right from my phone. Just need to get this guiding issue resolved.

#10 Gostock

Gostock

Sputnik

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:25 PM

You are very close to having everything set up right but the Android app is not cooperating. I hope you get an answer soon. At this point, you can do some unguided work. It is still quite satisfying controlling your astrophotography with the ASIAir and a tablet/phone device.

You last resort might be to find a cheap iPad if one goes on sale. But let us see what the forums have to say.

#11 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Vostok 1

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:14 PM

Don't you need the ST4 connection plugged into the mount?

#12 Gostock

Gostock

Sputnik

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:36 PM

When using the ASIAir, the guide camera is connected via USB to the ASIAir which in turn sends the guiding adjustments to the mount. No ST4 connection is needed.

#13 Gostock

Gostock

Sputnik

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:54 PM

@Sealyons - Try this: Move the graph to the right side of the screen and tap.

Tip found on Facebook ASIAir group posting on May 30

#14 Sealyons

Sealyons

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:02 PM

I moved the graph all over the screen and tried tapping it from just about everywhere without any luck.  How far to the right do you recommend?  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics