•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Markarian's Chain

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Akron, OH, USA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:08 PM

Hi Folks,

I imaged Markarian's Chain on May 24th with my RASA 8, ASI183MC Pro, Atlas EQ-G mount, and ASIair Pro.  I stacked 203 30-second exposures (1.7 hours) and this result sure beats the heck out of my first attempt on this target 3 years ago when I was new to this hobby. lol.gif

Clear skies!

Damien

get.jpg?insecure

49964024507_3ce267c714_h.jpg

49972444272_2b558f61c0_h.jpg

• noodle, dswtan, tjay and 37 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:13 PM

superb photo 

love the black sky and the resolution .

thanks .

• Thundermoon1994 likes this

#3 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:15 PM

Gorgeous Chain!

#4 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:23 PM

Nicely done with good framing.

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Aurora

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

Wow! Damien! This is awesome! Your Star colors are really nice! How did you get such great color in the stars?

#6 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:43 PM

superb photo 

love the black sky and the resolution .

thanks .

Gorgeous Chain!

Nicely done with good framing.

Thank you! smile.gif

• sunnyday likes this

#7 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:49 PM

Wow! Damien! This is awesome! Your Star colors are really nice! How did you get such great color in the stars?

Thanks, Mike!  I'm using StarSpikes Pro 4 to enhance the star color.  Whether you want to actually add star spikes, say if you had a refractor and wanted spikes, or you just want to enhance color, it does a really nice job.  And they've got a fully functional, free trial to see if you like it.  I saw it on a youtube tutorial about a month ago and I've been using it since then.  I really love the boosted star colors and natural looking star glows it produces.

• arrowspace90 and elmiko like this

#8 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:00 AM

That’s a great image!

#9 michael_m

michael_m

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mount Vernon, Wa

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:26 AM

Yep, very nice! I like the added photo with the galaxies identified. Good Job Damien.

#10 elmiko

elmiko

Aurora

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:37 AM

Thanks, Mike!  I'm using StarSpikes Pro 4 to enhance the star color.  Whether you want to actually add star spikes, say if you had a refractor and wanted spikes, or you just want to enhance color, it does a really nice job.  And they've got a fully functional, free trial to see if you like it.  I saw it on a youtube tutorial about a month ago and I've been using it since then.  I really love the boosted star colors and natural looking star glows it produces.

Thanks Damien. Is Starspikes a PS add on?

Edited by elmiko, 05 June 2020 - 12:41 AM.

#11 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

That’s a great image!

Yep, very nice! I like the added photo with the galaxies identified. Good Job Damien.

Thanks guys! :)

#12 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Damien. Is Starspikes a PS add on?

Yep!

• elmiko likes this

#13 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:40 PM

Great image and coming in under 2 hours acquisition time - superb!

#14 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:04 AM

Such a wondrous image - superb :bow: !!

#15 pixlimit

pixlimit

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Hamburg, Red Zone

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

nice image, well done

clear skies

Peter

#16 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:09 AM

Very nice Damien!  Very nice processing.  It's funny how we as astroimagers are often more worried about the background than the target.  In this you've done a great job with both without the BG looking fake. 

#17 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

I would love to give The Chain a try with my RASA 8.  Most of the online photos I see show the galaxies so small as to barely be distinguishable from stars.

I don't get this resolution or color presently with RASA 8/ASI533/Star Tools approach.  Perhaps next year.

#18 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

Great image and coming in under 2 hours acquisition time - superb!

Such a wondrous image - superb bow.gif !!

nice image, well done

clear skies

Peter

Thanks everyone! :)

Very nice Damien!  Very nice processing.  It's funny how we as astroimagers are often more worried about the background than the target.  In this you've done a great job with both without the BG looking fake. 

Isn't that a funny thing?  The hardest challenge in processing, for me at least, is the areas where nebulosity transitions into background space.  That's where artistic discretion is needed...."I really want that faint nebulosity" vs "I want the cleanest background I can get"...it's a trade off.  I didn't do it right the first time, and this was attempt #2 or #3.  I wanted to bring out more detail/contrast in NGC 4438, but ran into the noise threshold.  I guess I'd need more data. smile.gif 

#19 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

I would love to give The Chain a try with my RASA 8.  Most of the online photos I see show the galaxies so small as to barely be distinguishable from stars.

I don't get this resolution or color presently with RASA 8/ASI533/Star Tools approach.  Perhaps next year.

I agree.  That's because those images aren't stretched enough to bring out the nebulosity.

At least half of this hobby is knowledge and experience with processing applications.  I've been at this for 4 years and feel like I still learn new processing techniques all the time.  Early on, I was using StarTools, and then made the transition to Photoshop when I wanted to process my images from the 2017 solar eclipse.  I've been able to push my skills much further along with Photoshop thanks to the abundance of online tutorials and help from folks on Cloudy Nights.  Recently, I've started using PixInsight for calibration and stacking (seems to preserve details better than Deep Sky Stacker), as well as some of the other processes in that application to supplement my Photoshop workflow.  While I'm not exactly proud of some of my early work, I leave it up on my Astrobin so I can see the progress I've made.

• arrowspace90 likes this

#20 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:10 AM

I agree.  That's because those images aren't stretched enough to bring out the nebulosity.

At least half of this hobby is knowledge and experience with processing applications.  I've been at this for 4 years and feel like I still learn new processing techniques all the time.  Early on, I was using StarTools, and then made the transition to Photoshop when I wanted to process my images from the 2017 solar eclipse.  I've been able to push my skills much further along with Photoshop thanks to the abundance of online tutorials and help from folks on Cloudy Nights.  Recently, I've started using PixInsight for calibration and stacking (seems to preserve details better than Deep Sky Stacker), as well as some of the other processes in that application to supplement my Photoshop workflow.  While I'm not exactly proud of some of my early work, I leave it up on my Astrobin so I can see the progress I've made.

Yes, the processing is definitely the steepest hill.  I can now handle the scope outside to a reasonable extent and get decent lights and flats.  My processing however, is barely acceptable when there are no big issues.  I am not ready to take on PI, which to me looks like a PhD thesis.

#21 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:13 PM

Damien,
Great image of one of my favorite objects. You are doing a great job,
and, as you said...the learning never stops! Keep up the good work.

Ron Abbott

#22 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Messenger

• -----

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:10 PM

What do you find to be the most limiting features of Star Tools?

I can process an image now, but find I can’t get colors I want, for one thing.  I’m not talking about exotic colors, just scientifically appropriate colors.  Not too red, too yellow, or green at all.  My black eye galaxy scarcely has a black eye.
I can’t stretch an image a great deal without an obvious and unacceptable loss of resolution.

Your image using the same scope suggests there is hope.

#23 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

Damien,
Great image of one of my favorite objects. You are doing a great job,
and, as you said...the learning never stops! Keep up the good work.

Ron Abbott

Thanks Ron!

#24 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:45 AM

What do you find to be the most limiting features of Star Tools?

I can process an image now, but find I can’t get colors I want, for one thing.  I’m not talking about exotic colors, just scientifically appropriate colors.  Not too red, too yellow, or green at all.  My black eye galaxy scarcely has a black eye.
I can’t stretch an image a great deal without an obvious and unacceptable loss of resolution.

Your image using the same scope suggests there is hope.

StarTools is in many ways something of a "black box", which is both good and bad.  It means you don't have to really understand what's going on to get an image.  It also means you don't have to really understand what's going on to get an image. wink.gif  If you don't really get what's happening underneath the hood, it can be hard to know what to change to improve things.  My advice would be to download Photoshop CC.  It costs about $11 a month for the license, and it's well worth that price for greatly enhanced functionality.  And there are thousands of helpful Youtube videos on how to process astrophotos using Photoshop.  I'd recommend your first stop be The Astro Imaging Channel's' videos on curve stretching and Trevor Jones' (Astrobackyard) processing tutorial that he did a few years back.  It's about 45 minutes long, as I recall, and he shows step by step how he processes a nebula.  Those videos really helped me move into photoshop and get comfortable processing in it.

Regards,

Damien

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics