•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using a wedge with a CPC8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: New York City

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:33 PM

Hi all, I guess let me preface this with my acknowledgment that using a wedge won’t yield the same results as an equatorial Mount. I’m more interested in finding out if a wedge would  be  a working solution for imaging ? does the go to functionality of the scope still work while mounted on a wedge ?

I’m curious to  hear the experience of anyone that has tried this. Specially with a CPC8. 

#2 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:52 PM

With my LX200, there is a setting that tells the mount whether it is in AltAz Mode or Polar Mode. I am not familiar with the CPC, but I would expect it to be similar.

Also, with my LX200, it is built strong enough to handle being on a wedge. When I am imaging, the main difference between it and a conventional EQ is that I don't have to deal with a meridian flip, I can just image right through it.

I know this does not directly answer your question regarding a CPC, but I would encourage you to at least try it.
  • Diomedes likes this

#3 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 06 June 2020 - 03:40 AM

Hi,

I use a CPC925 on a wedge. Much prefer it to any german eq mount. I have owned HEQ5's, EQ6's AZEQ6's, a Losmandy G11 Gemini and a Mesu 200. There has been no noticeable difference between inages taken at equal focal lengths. That's why I got rid of everything else I owned and kept the wedge mounted CPC. Piece of cake to polar align using Sharpcap, no meridian flip to worry about, and guides at .6 arc secs RMS...... My Mesu guided at .3 arc secs RMS, but couldn't see any difference in the images.

FWIW

Gary

• Diomedes likes this

#4 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:55 PM

With my LX200, there is a setting that tells the mount whether it is in AltAz Mode or Polar Mode. I am not familiar with the CPC, but I would expect it to be similar.

Also, with my LX200, it is built strong enough to handle being on a wedge. When I am imaging, the main difference between it and a conventional EQ is that I don't have to deal with a meridian flip, I can just image right through it.

I know this does not directly answer your question regarding a CPC, but I would encourage you to at least try it.

Hi,

I use a CPC925 on a wedge. Much prefer it to any german eq mount. I have owned HEQ5's, EQ6's AZEQ6's, a Losmandy G11 Gemini and a Mesu 200. There has been no noticeable difference between inages taken at equal focal lengths. That's why I got rid of everything else I owned and kept the wedge mounted CPC. Piece of cake to polar align using Sharpcap, no meridian flip to worry about, and guides at .6 arc secs RMS...... My Mesu guided at .3 arc secs RMS, but couldn't see any difference in the images.

FWIW

Gary

It's great to hear this. While I was doing research I noticed most conversations turn into "wedge vs EQ mount" so I did not find a lot of feedback on the experience of using a wedge. I'm really excited to try this out myself. 

#5 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

Hi,

I should also mention that to get good tracking the scope needs to be balanced in both axis. I use an ADM weight system on the bottom of the scope and a 1kg rubber coated dumbell cable tied to the handle on the dec arm. This makes the scope very slightly east heavy. Balance the scope as here https://starizona.co...ng-for-imaging/ Note that this doesn't mention making the scope balanced around the ra axis (using the weight I mentioned)

FWIW

Gary

• Diomedes likes this

#6 Diomedes

Diomedes

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

I should also mention that to get good tracking the scope needs to be balanced in both axis. I use an ADM weight system on the bottom of the scope and a 1kg rubber coated dumbell cable tied to the handle on the dec arm. This makes the scope very slightly east heavy. Balance the scope as here https://starizona.co...ng-for-imaging/ Note that this doesn't mention making the scope balanced around the ra axis (using the weight I mentioned)

FWIW

Gary

Thanks Gary my scope came with the the ADM counterweights for balancing. Right now I just slide the weight all the way back to balance the scope for visual. It also came with a second bigger weight. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics