•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First astro specific camera, having some trouble

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Alabama

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:30 AM

I bought an ASI 178mm. All I've used prior is a Canon DSLR. I've had my setup completely torn apart the last few days. My Dad and I finished the 3rd revision on all the printed parts and we reprinted everything with a PETG/Carbon Fiber material. Also built a wiring harness and can now run the entire setup off of a 12v Battery so I can get out of my backyard. Moving on

Used the new camera tonight and ran into some issues. I'm using APT for capture software. I am unable to plate solve with the new camera. I've really liked the plate solving with my canon and don't want to move forward without it. Part of the issue with the plate solving is everytime I let APT run a process on its own it gives me a message saying "gain 800 is out of range of the camera so it used gain 510" which is the max gain. So I just get white images. The only way I can shoot anything less than max gain is to use the shoot button after inputting a specific gain. If I try to run a sequence, it jumps right back up.

I can't find anywhere where the software has the gain set at 800 so I can change it. I almost always used iso 800 with my canon so I assume it's somehow coming from that. Any help would be appreciated.

Last issue, I see no way to enable dithering with the new camera like I did with the canon.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with all this?

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:44 AM

My guess would be that APT is using the settings in the ASCOM or other third party driver. I would look for the gain settings there as APT will only use what is set in the driver.

#3 BobE102330

BobE102330

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:03 AM

Does APT let you set up different equipment profiles? Perhaps it’s trying to use your DSLR settings and the camera driver is balking. If you can set up a profile for each setup it may help. I use NINA and had a similar issue when I selected the wrong profile. 

#4 OhmEye

OhmEye

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:12 AM

APT camera settings are on the Tools tab.  Platesolving uses the focal length, pixel and sensor size set on there. If those are incorrect then it would not be unusual for platesolving to fail.

Also the camera gain is not equivalent to DSLR ISO, you don't want to try setting it to 800, I suggest starting off using the value for unity gain for your camera model and going from there.  In APT the gain is set at the bottom of the Camera tab.

#5 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:09 PM

I looked at everything and couldn't find anything that kept making the software try to go to 800 gain. Since I'm not planning on using my Canon anymore (it's slowly dying anyways) I deleted APT and all the config files as well as any software I had installed for the Canon. I fixing to reinstall APT and start from scratch. 

I just figured it out. I had ISO 800 set in the filter wheel settings. Hopefully that solves that problem.

I googled unity gain for this camera and all I keep finding is this from ZWO: "there is no unity gain with 178 as 178 has 14bit ADC the EGAIN is always smaller than 1e/adu so you can use highest dynamic range"

I honestly don't know what that means and it doesn't help me at all.

Doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate tonight to do anymore testing but I would appreciate you all's help walking me through setting this camera up. I did download ASI's imaging software. I slewed to the Andromeda galaxy and was quite impressed with what it was doing using the live stacking feature using half second exposures. With that being said, what is the difference between me taking multiple photos and stacking them opposed to using that live stack option and setting the exposure length to my liking?

Edited by pbmazda32, 05 June 2020 - 03:40 PM.

#6 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

I just looked at the chart for that camera at the ZWO website (chart here: http://astronomy-ima...n1-742x1024.jpg)

For that camera, setting the gain to 0 is as close as it gets to unity gain. So start there. smile.gif

Edited by Kevin Ross, 05 June 2020 - 04:12 PM.

#7 pbmazda32

pbmazda32

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 03:29 AM

Thank you

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics