•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mobile foldable trolly for Meade Sct cassagrain telescopes!?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:53 AM

hello to my fellow amateur astronomers!

im currently looking for some initial feed back for those who mainly own the Meade LX90,LX200 line of sct cassagrain telescopes.its just a idea at moment and there are no development ideas on paper at moment.however if there was a purpose made foldable up right trolley for the Meade 8-14” sct telescope would you buy one!?the 8”-10” LX90 ACF is  mostly manageable to most to the back yard amateur astronomers alike as doesn’t useally have to be moved to far!?however the 12” LX90 ACF slighty different story carried 100metres or so then need a 5-10min break before you plonk on the tripod and besides I do suffer from a weak back now.(the bigger the scope usually means more weight).

ive already tried useing an foldable aluminium upright trolley with just a small base on and couple of tensioning straps and does work to a certain degree and does serve its purpose in short distances.however the weight is not the issue but the curvature of the OTA on the forks can make it a little unstable and damage that nice paint job so maybe could just use some kind of foam.however what my brain wave is about(watch for the thunderstorms nere you now) is I would like to see something like in the Meade blue 

not important I know.something light weight in construction and foldable.and the scope would,nt be doing a balancing act as it would have interchangeable locking brackets for the the 8”-14” OTA and forks so the bracket physically sits in a concave pattern of the OTA so movement wouldn’t be an issue and either straps or quick release type mechanism.i just feel there is not enough easier transport type methods for your exspensive kit.not only this will allow the user for easier transportation just perhaps you could go up a notch on that larger scope especially for taking to dark sky sites 

kind regards to you all Sean.

#2 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:34 PM

A large part of your problem is that it’s all-in-one.

Either defork the OTA and put it on a separate GEM (two trips) or sell it and get a smaller SCT you can manage in 1 trip.

Dragging it around on a trolley isn’t kind on the optics either - I’d expect the collimation is wrecked every time and there’s a good chance you’ll lose a few screws along the way.

Edited by luxo II, 05 June 2020 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:09 AM

lol collomation is very forgiving on the sct cassagrains and it’s got nothing to do with deforking the OTA from the forks and changing the DNA of the scope itself.the wheels anyway would have some kind of dampening abilities.

#4 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Vostok 1

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:02 AM

Have you seen the scopebuggy ?

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

Have you seen the scopebuggy ?

Hi yes I’ve just had a look mind you the concept idea I have is different more compact and hopefully foldable and light weight who knows most probably could even have a power supply built in.like a little work station so to speak 

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:18 PM

hello to my fellow amateur astronomers!

im currently looking for some initial feed back for those who mainly own the Meade LX90,LX200 line of sct cassagrain telescopes.its just a idea at moment and there are no development ideas on paper at moment.however if there was a purpose made foldable up right trolley for the Meade 8-14” sct telescope would you buy one!?the 8”-10” LX90 ACF is  mostly manageable to most to the back yard amateur astronomers alike as doesn’t useally have to be moved to far!?however the 12” LX90 ACF slighty different story carried 100metres or so then need a 5-10min break before you plonk on the tripod and besides I do suffer from a weak back now.(the bigger the scope usually means more weight).

ive already tried useing an foldable aluminium upright trolley with just a small base on and couple of tensioning straps and does work to a certain degree and does serve its purpose in short distances.however the weight is not the issue but the curvature of the OTA on the forks can make it a little unstable and damage that nice paint job so maybe could just use some kind of foam.however what my brain wave is about(watch for the thunderstorms nere you now) is I would like to see something like in the Meade blue 

not important I know.something light weight in construction and foldable.and the scope would,nt be doing a balancing act as it would have interchangeable locking brackets for the the 8”-14” OTA and forks so the bracket physically sits in a concave pattern of the OTA so movement wouldn’t be an issue and either straps or quick release type mechanism.i just feel there is not enough easier transport type methods for your exspensive kit.not only this will allow the user for easier transportation just perhaps you could go up a notch on that larger scope especially for taking to dark sky sites 

kind regards to you all Sean.

I understand where you're coming from on this. 

It's actually quite a simple concept to build off a simple hand dolly.   

This video shows a stair climber dolly already with good handles and creating an upper OTA stabilizer bracket with tie-down would be simple.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=huZ2ZnO2630

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:37 PM

I understand where you're coming from on this. 

It's actually quite a simple concept to build off a simple hand dolly.   

This video shows a stair climber dolly already with good handles and creating an upper OTA stabilizer bracket with tie-down would be simple.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=huZ2ZnO2630

yes similer concept watched video I understand there are trolley,s mainly in the states which moves the whole tripod,mount and scope itself but the impression I get it’s mainly for just wheeling outside your garage or lock up if I’m not mistaken not so much for any reasonable distance.who knows it’s just an idea at moment.i was even thinking of having a power pack built in some how so can power up the scope but main feature is light weight foldable some how and doesn’t take to much room just saves physically carrying the sct cassagrain and forks.and the profile of the frame will mould around the scope etc.ps it’s hard sometimes to put an concept idea across when you just have the vision in your head if you get my drift.

Edited by Supernova74, 06 June 2020 - 05:40 PM.

#8 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

yes similer concept watched video I understand there are trolley,s mainly in the states which moves the whole tripod,mount and scope itself but the impression I get it’s mainly for just wheeling outside your garage or lock up if I’m not mistaken not so much for any reasonable distance.who knows it’s just an idea at moment.i was even thinking of having a power pack built in some how so can power up the scope but main feature is light weight foldable some how and doesn’t take to much room just saves physically carrying the sct cassagrain and forks.and the profile of the frame will mould around the scope etc.ps it’s hard sometimes to put an concept idea across when you just have the vision in your head if you get my drift.

JMI has different level of wheelie bars, from standard to a very deluxe model with big tires and such. 
They even have a motor drive option if you look down through their accessories page. 
http://www.jimsmobil...heeley_bars.htm

I personally have a 16" LX200 I mounted on an Electric Wheelchair and plans are in the works for a buck converter so I am powering everything off the 24v system. 

16 on base.jpg

#9 Supernova74

Supernova74

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:04 AM

JMI has different level of wheelie bars, from standard to a very deluxe model with big tires and such. 
They even have a motor drive option if you look down through their accessories page. 
http://www.jimsmobil...heeley_bars.htm

I personally have a 16" LX200 I mounted on an Electric Wheelchair and plans are in the works for a buck converter so I am powering everything off the 24v system. 

attachicon.gif16 on base.jpg

I like if it works it works at end of day maybe a tad overkill for what I had in mind tho (Lucky boy 16”er I’m moving in lol)

#10 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 11 June 2020 - 03:53 PM

I have a little foldable three leg dolly that was made for the Samson or Hercules television camera tripods from Moog. The Hercules folding dolly weights 19# and has a load capacity of 500#, while the Samson weighs 10# and can carry 150#.

https://www.scansour...rculesgibraltar

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics