•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Centering objects in the eyepiece

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Monk80

Monk80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Helmond Netherlands

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:21 AM

Dear All,

As I am new to working with an AltAz Goto telescope of course along the way some questions arise.

I feel a bit stupid for asking this one, I tried to reason this one but cant get my head around it:

So when I'm all set up in AltAz alignment I feel comfortable now selecting objects and goto'ing to them. (Which is such an awesome sensation!) Certain objects however require (when in precision mode) to center a star and only then will it slew to the final destination say 'ring nebula'. Can one only use the NESW keys on the pad for centering? Even on slew speed two the scope moves so fast that precise centering is frustratingly difficult. (same goes for when aligning actually..)

The thought occurred to me: wouldn't one actually improve the alignment by rotating the physical positioning knobs to center an object in the eyepiece that the GOTO system slewed to and thinks it is centered on but is actually a bit off? 

I recognise the fact that when in the process of aligning it would make sense to just use NESW keys because the system needs a hard reference from the encoders at the motors? But tweaking along the way with the knobs would f* up alignment and tracking direction?

Sorry this may come across as ignorant I know..

Best,

Monk  

#2 TimK

TimK

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Avon, OH

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:31 AM

Once aligned ONLY use the keypad on the controller to move the scope.

Anything else will mess up the alignment.

You should be able to set the manual slew speed on the keypad and yes you will have to slow it down some.

Once you have the new object centered you can "Sync" the position for more accurate GOTOs.

Unfortunately these features are located differently on different controllers so you will have to consult your manual.

#3 JohnBear

JohnBear

Messenger

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

There are also some differences between go-to mount brands (Meade AutoStar, Celestron NexStar, iOptron, etc.). Some of those details can be important. So It would help to know which go-to system you use,  

#4 Monk80

Monk80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:02 PM

Omg, how unthoughtfull of me.
I have a 7" LX200 classic.

#5 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:05 PM

I am very surprised that speed 2 is too fast, what ep are you using?

Normally, I will use a 32mm ep during alignment at speed 3 to center a star.

#6 Monk80

Monk80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:37 PM

40mm, for sure not at higher mags. I went into the "telescope" menu part and pressed enter if I remember correctly untill the slew speed digit read 2. I'm 100% sure GOTO slewing went at its slowest, it's just that when pushing NESW I found it very hard to center. The minutest tiniest push of a button would slew a star 50% in the FOV in the 40mm EP. So, going into higher mags (I was having a go at ring nebula) took ages to get objects in view..

So that's where I really started doubting myself (noob brain at work) whether dialing knobs would be necessary.. my bad I understand, still this seems not normal right?

#7 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:05 PM

What version LX200 do you have? A picture might help.

On my LX200GPS with Autostar2, going down in the menu is how I can control max speed during a "go-to". To change the speed of manual moves, there is a SPEED button that allows quick change of the speed. I am sure you would have tried this button if you had it, so I have to believe you have an older controller. Before we speculate too much, a picture of the front panel and the hand controller would be helpful.

#8 JohnBear

JohnBear

Messenger

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:26 PM

If this were a NexStar or Autostar problem I could probably help you. Unfortunately I am new to the LX200, and I am still working on fixing a main board problem on my 10" LX200, so I have no practical experience yet.

The good news is that there are a LOT of LX200 owner/users out there that probably can help.  It also sounds like a rather simple menu setting or procedure problem rather than a mechanical or electrical issue.

You might want to send some messages to these meetup groups in the Netherlands to get help. You may also try a new CN topic asking for help with "LX200 Classic Goto and Slewing Problems". 

Be sure to specify the telescope and the software you are using with the telescope, and maybe a picture of your setup and controller (there are several different Goto configurations for the LX200)

I am pretty sure someone will be able to help. 

Good luck. You should really enjoy using your LX200 once you get this problem figured out. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics