•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Choosing a mount.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TommyTachyon

TommyTachyon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:23 AM

Hello

I am waiting for a AT72EDII that I ordered and am looking for suggestions on a mount with AP in mind. My scenario and thought process are as follows.

I already own an Atlas Pro so do I just use that for AP and buy a cheap mount for visual/convenience purposes?  e.g  CG-4, Smart EQ Pro, Skyview Pro)

Or perhaps I can check off convenience/portability and AP with a higher cost option such as a CEM25, or other recommendation.

Since the AT72EDII is a small scope I imagine there may be an option for me to have a lighter mount without sacrificing AP performance. Maybe even better than the Atlas Pro being as though it is not exactly renowned as an AP's dream mount.

In terms of weight I do have a ZWO ASI178MC in route as well.

I am fairly new to AP and do live in a light polluted area which limits sessions in my yard, necessitating travel depending on my targets for the evening.

I appreciate any suggestions.

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

You use the Atlas Pro. It's way good enough to get great images. Downsizing to a lesser mount is almost always a terrible idea (unless you have a really heavy mount in the first place).

Rgrds-Ross

#3 gotak

gotak

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, CA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

Yeah don't keep spending money you have a decent mount.

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

If have not issues at handling the Atlas may for now keep using it for AP and, for visual, get a much smaller and lighter manual alt/az (or even a small but decent phototripod with a ball head. I use this solution with my smaller refractors when am out just for a quick session and am not in the mood for weight-lifting).

If, or when, come to the conclusion that are renouncing to imaging sessions due to the hassle of moving the mount, then IMHO would be the moment to start searching for a lighter imaging platform: but by then you will likely know what really suit your needs.

As for the Atlas, it may be not a "dream mount", but for sure it is a rugged, reliable and capable platform, and likely the "touchstone" on which new "mass-produced" imaging mounts are assessed

#5 Mark Strollo

Mark Strollo

Vostok 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:53 AM

For visual, look at the AZ GTi.  Some people, have had good wide-field AP results with the AZ GTi on its equatorial base, too.

#6 TommyTachyon

TommyTachyon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate it.

I am going to take everyone's advice and just use the Atlas for AP. The money I save could then be used toward other gear I need in the pursuit of AP.

It is always exciting to get new gear but not always necessary, so you all helped me avoid that trap.

I will check out the AZ GTi you mentioned.

• zjc26138 likes this

#7 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

I had a CEM25-P and wish I still had it for a grab and go mount to dark sites. It is the smallest of what I would consider a professional mount that performs as well as the big ones with a ota like the AT72EDII you just ordered. The only thing I would add to it is the PoleMaster. That mount with the PoleMaster is the quickest setup configuration I ever had.

This doesn't mean there are not other small mounts that would work ok like the AVX and the HEQ5. However, the CEM25-P is my preference because I owned one, I know what it can do and compared to the others I mentioned I felt it outperforms them.

Otherwise, I would also just use your current mount. but lugging that big mount around gets old after awhile plus they are power hungry in the field when compared to the small mounts. Something else to think about.

Edited by scadvice, 05 June 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#8 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

If you can carry the Atlas then do use that. 

Unwanted and possibly unwelcome advice: If you bought the ASI178MC for DSO imaging, it will *not* make you happy. You will have issues getting rid of amp glow (it's not cooled) and/or matching darks, and the sensor is very small, severely limiting your FOV. Strongly suggest you return it and spend part what you were intending to put towards the mount to get an ASI183MC-Pro (the cooled version) or--for a bit more--the ASI533MC-Pro. You'll thank me later. 

• TommyTachyon, ThatsMyCoffee and Jethro7 like this

#9 TommyTachyon

TommyTachyon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:06 PM

Unwanted and possibly unwelcome advice: If you bought the ASI178MC for DSO imaging, it will *not* make you happy. You will have issues getting rid of amp glow (it's not cooled) and/or matching darks, and the sensor is very small, severely limiting your FOV. Strongly suggest you return it and spend part what you were intending to put towards the mount to get an ASI183MC-Pro (the cooled version) or--for a bit more--the ASI533MC-Pro. You'll thank me later. 

Your advice is most certainly welcome and much appreciated. Thank you. 

My logic behind the 178MC was that when I graduate to a better camera I can utilize it for guiding. I'm going to look into the camera you recommended.

#10 TommyTachyon

TommyTachyon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:20 PM

I had a CEM25-P and wish I still had it for a grab and go mount to dark sites. It is the smallest of what I would consider a professional mount that performs as well as the big ones with a ota like the AT72EDII you just ordered. The only thing I would add to it is the PoleMaster. That mount with the PoleMaster is the quickest setup configuration I ever had.

This doesn't mean there are not other small mounts that would work ok like the AVX and the HEQ5. However, the CEM25-P is my preference because I owned one, I know what it can do and compared to the others I mentioned I felt it outperforms them.

Otherwise, I would also just use your current mount. but lugging that big mount around gets old after awhile plus they are power hungry in the field when compared to the small mounts. Something else to think about.

Yea even at the young age of 39 I dread lugging that Atlas around. I really like what I read about the CEM 25 and it's assuring to hear it served you well.

What made you get rid of it ?

#11 scadvice

scadvice

Vanguard

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

Yea even at the young age of 39 I dread lugging that Atlas around. I really like what I read about the CEM 25 and it's assuring to hear it served you well.

What made you get rid of it ?

At the time I was moving up to a bigger scope a 130mm. So when I bought the bigger scope and the goodies to go with it I had to sell the iOptron CEM25P So I could afford to buy the iOptron CEM60 mount for the heavier scope. 

If you do buy a CEM25 make sure it's the -P version. They are all that are being made now and suppose to be to be the latest and greatest version.

#12 TommyTachyon

TommyTachyon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:42 AM

I have been trying to decide on one of the two models you mentioned. In comparing the ASI533 vs ASI183 the Pixel Scale calculation yielded 1.8 and 1.14 respectively. However I am not sure I understand the significance of said numbers enough to make an educated decision.

ASI533 = 1.8     ASI183 = 1.14

#13 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:19 AM

The rule of thumb based on something called the Nyquist Theorem is that you need to sample your images at between 1/2 and 1/3 rd of the seeing where you are for best results. So, if you have 2-3 arc second skies you want to be sampling at around 1 arc second. If you have fabulous skies (don't know what part of Jersey you are in), then even finer sampling will give you more detail and better shaped stars.

So, if the two cameras had the same field of view then the 1.14 would be my choice. If they have different fields of view then it's harder because a wide field of view can be very nice with a small refractor. 

What you need, I'm thinking is a book! Get the Deep Sky Imaging Primer by Charles Bracken rather than a new mount or the Astrophotography Manual by Chris Woodhouse (or get both!)

You'll get great but reasonably simple explanations for a lot of things that you will wonder if you go forward.

Rgrds-ross

• TommyTachyon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics