•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi 6mm vs ES 6.5 52

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:56 AM

ES Explorer Scientific, enjoyed my other ones lower powers. 

Using my XT8i dob, image was always soft on few outings todate. Thought sky conditions. 

Ordered a Takahashi believe it's a new lower cost sort type version, $57- $59 price range intrigued me.

Received the Takahashi 6mm ortho, tho cloudy sky, had breaks and Jupiter view was sharp, more of what I expected to see tho 200X in my dob. Saw several festoons and the now big one there. Moons of Jupiter a beautiful Sphere! Wow Factor here!

Like the ES series, enjoy my other lower power eyepieces. 

Perhaps a faulty ES Here? Not sure, but looking forward to looks with the Takahashi!

Please note the exit pupil is tight on the Takahashi, but I've used my share of these types of small openings

in the past, zero concern for me, just be Aware! 

Glad I ran into the Takahashi, a keeper!

Actually it's only $56 thru Astronomics, the new low cost Starbase model. 

Edited by phillip, 06 June 2020 - 05:04 AM.

• Astrojensen, eros312 and havasman like this

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:14 AM

"Orthos" are great value if are willing to trade almost everything for sharpness and, on budget, I find them to be a real deal.

Said so, expensive modern eyepieces can match and outmatch orthos, but usually you can get a whole set of the latter with the price of a single one of the formerlol.gif

#3 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:36 AM

Yes quite the trade Off!

My Pentax 7.5mm is a pleaser with huge exit pupil, infact my most used todate, tho cost factor was high, still worth it for me.

This 6mm Takahashi pinhole look notice only get part of the full view, eyeglass wearer would be a challenge but possible with minimum area views. 

Fun challenge to see what eyepieces would match or better the view, as Takahashi sharp view is quite good, focus is easy to find, found the ES abit coarse, and ES much softer at best. Still not sure why this issue?

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:45 AM

There may be many reasons, one quite likely is that the higher surfaces count for the ES would need a greater level of care/craftmanship than the simpler design of the ortho, which is rather unlikely to have happened if both are sold at very similar prices.

Since this is related to the realm of chance, it should mostly translate into greater variability between samples.

Coatings may play a role too: I have a 40mm ES from their 68° line, which is a rather nice eyepiece but found that it "suffers" somewhat very bright targets

#5 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:24 AM

Thanks, your input makes sense. 

Perhaps a good basic ortho is quite often a good performer. Recall my old swift 60mm refractor easily made 60x per inch performance and then some. Believe had a basic ortho, tho some were huygens. 

The ES design is likely the culprit, as all has to be done correctly. 

Have a Baader 10mm ortho, performs flawlessly with very sharp image. Exit pupil more useable, as 10mm eyepiece.

Thanks for your Comments!

Clear Sky

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

Hmmmm. I have ES  68 degree and 82 degree eyepieces but also old Edmund RKEs, cheap current Meade super Plossls and had a set of Tele Vue Plossls, and a TV Nagler 3-6 zoom. I've compared all of these to each other over time and while I have found some are better than others but the difference always seems to be subtle. If you saw a huge difference between the 6mm Starbase ortho and the ES 6.5mm/52 I tend to believe the ES might have an issue. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics