•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for spectra of SAO 138885 & 138886

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:36 AM

I have been looking at Color Contrasting double stars and comparing their color differences to the differences in their spectral class (by subtype).  When I plot these differences there is a reasonable correlation as seen below.  One of my data points is the optical pair S639 in Virgo which is a clear outlier looking at my plot and I suspect the spectral class of the magnitude 10 secondary which is listed as K0 in Simbad is in error.  Looking at the color index of the secondary and my photo I suspect that it perhaps is at least a late F or early G star. Sky Safari lists the spectra of the primary as M0 III which does help a bit.  Any chance those of you here on this forum with spectrographs could take a look at these two stars?

Edited by ssmith, 06 June 2020 - 01:01 PM.

• tfield98 and Crusty99 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics