•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie Needs Help with RedCat and Canon EOS M6 Mark II

astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 derickson

derickson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm just starting out in AP. My new RedCat 51 arrived and I mounted it to my Canon EOS M6 Mark II with a T ring adapter *and* the EF-EOS M adapter. 

Long story short, live view mode gives me the "F00" error--no lens attached (or no aperture information). I've tried attaching/reattaching the adapters, cleaning the contacts, all the usual stuff, but to no avail. My other lenses (all Canon) work fine. Called Canon support who told me that non-Canon lenses can't be used with this camera. Seems odd to me and I hope he's wrong.

Hopefully this is a simple fix--an obvious one that will make me feel an idiot--and one of you can help me out.

Thanks again,

Daniel

#2 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Ranger 4

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:11 AM

Daniel, on my Canon R, in order to use a manual lens, I had to select "release shutter w/o Lens" option as "on", under the c.Fn menu. I am not sure which menu it is on for the M6II, but you may want to try that option. It is preset to be "off". 

#3 derickson

derickson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

Bill,

Thanks so much. That worked perfectly. On the M6II it is in the C.Fn.III menu, Option 4. Buried quite deeply. I called Canon support back and educated them (nicely), as you did for me.

Eternally Grateful,

Daniel

• Bill Jensen likes this

#4 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Ranger 4

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

at dpreview.com they have a canon M forum, and a few folks there post some astro photos. If you have not looked at that forum, it may be interesting to you. 

I used to own a M3, (and a 7D, an 80D etc.) yet the M6II looks like a very nice crop sensor mirrorless, given the comments from owners. 

#5 derickson

derickson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the pointer, I'll head over there! I actually gave up photography back in the 1990s and only recently (November) picked it up again--going digital for the first time. It is quite a different world, to be sure. Chose the M6II because of the reviews. It is a very nice camera; I've been very happy with it overall (but am still on a learning curve, obviously--and threw the AP back into the mix as well!). You need the extra adapter to use other Canon glass, but I've actually been very successful with the mirrorless lens offerings. Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics