•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zooms: Pentax XF vs Nikon MCII?

eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:16 AM

I’m looking for a pair of zooms to use in my Binoviewer. The XFs and the MCIIs look like very nice options the XFs are 19.5mm-6.5mm and the Nikons are 21mm-7mm. Both are light weight, which I like a lot and they’re both about the same price. The Pentax run about $290 while the Nikons are about $300. Has anyone done a direct comparison between between these two zooms? I’m interested in using them for lunar, planetary, and hunting double stars. 

#2 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:00 PM

I used to have both some years back and even though the mechanics of the XF were fine, the image quality was not. Don't let the Pentax name fool you because it shares nothing else with the legendary XWs. The Nikon MC II on the other hand was by far the better of the two in all respects. In short, the MC II performs  like a good ortho in sharpness and the Pentax XF has chromatic aberration to a degree that I just couldn't tolerate. Still kicking myself for selling the Nikon !

George

• eros312 likes this

#3 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

I used to have both some years back and even though the mechanics of the XF were fine, the image quality was not. Don't let the Pentax name fool you because it shares nothing else with the legendary XWs. The Nikon MC II on the other hand was by far the better of the two in all respects. In short, the MC II performs  like a good ortho in sharpness and the Pentax XF has chromatic aberration to a degree that I just couldn't tolerate. Still kicking myself for selling the Nikon !

George

Thanks for the insight. I was hoping for better news with the Pentax. The only two problems I’ve read about the Nikon is converting it to 1.25” and it’s not parfocal as you change the magnification. I guess I could live with that, though. 

#4 StarAlert

StarAlert

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

My two most used high-power EP pairs in the MaxBright2 are the 8.5mm Pentax XFs and the 7.5mm Tak LEs. With the 1.7x GPC, that’s giving me about 155x and 175x, respectively.  I would like something with a bit more magnification 200x, and also a bit less 100x. I could buy a couple more pairs, but a high-quality Zoom might be the answer. It seems the Nikon might be the better choice. 

Lower powers would be easy. The 7mm setting would get me to about 190x which should be plenty for most nights. Does anyone have knowledge as to whether the Nikons would be comparable to the Tak 7.5 LEs? 

Edited by StarAlert, 06 June 2020 - 05:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics