•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I did it again.... another Delite. I'm DONE AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

I thought I'd share a bit about my history with eyepieces so far....

I've observed for a few decades with ATM scopes of improving quality and increasing aperture. My first big step up was in 2014 when I built a 10" f 4.7 dob, shown in my avatar when it was unfinished and unflocked.

Until 2014 I was happy with Sirius Plossl eyepieces, though increasingly aware of the short eye relief of the focal lengths below 12 mm. At least I had no measurable astigmatism in my preferred observing eye, so my gradually increasing presbyopia could be focused out with a tweak of the focuser, and I could always get my eye close enough.   

That year and in 2015 when a couple of sales popped up on Celestron LX eyepieces I upgraded to those. Now, THESE will be my FINAL eyepieces, I said. With a 3x barlow it took only four of these to have me covered from 3.3 mm to 25 mm focal length. 

These had nice comfortable 20 mm or so eye relief, weighed a consistent 8 ounces or so, and were reasonably parfocal. The views at about 60 degrees wide were even a few degrees apparent field of view wider than the Plossls.  That 20 mm eye relief made it possible for me to turn down the heights of the nifty rigid eyecups to share views at higher powers with eyeglasses wearers. 

In 2015 I went to the Cherry Springs Star Party in Pennsylvania for my first time.  Great event!  There I met Dave Mitsky (a moderator and major contributor on the Celestial Events forum on CN) at the swap tables near the vendor tent and couldn't resist buying the only item he offered-- an 8.8 mm Meade 5000 series 82 degree eyepiece.  I believe Dave had upgraded to an eyepiece with green lettering on it and had found that 8.8 mm Meade redundant.

I didn't need 82 degrees until I had it.  The difference was profound and I could see about as much sky with this eyepiece as with my 12 mm LX, and at higher power and contrast.  I have to blame Dave for turning me to the dark side...

I also realized that my 10" f/4.7 might benefit from a Paracorr after all, and since I already had an f/4.3 mirror I'd need one anyway at some point... 

By September of that year I had the privilege of watching Al Nagler feigning outrage and a heart attack at seeing my 8.8 Meade in a Paracorr 2 at Stellafane.  He didn't offer to rectify the injustice of that himself, though.  2015 is the only year I've managed to go to Stellafane so far.  I had fun and the Tardiscope was well received. 

Repeated trips to Cherry Springs had me appreciating the advantages of kicking things up a notch.  I couldn't afford Televue's offerings, but discovered that the Explore Scientific 82 degree series were optically virtually IDENTICAL to the Meade 5000 series. Additionally, these were available used in the CN classifieds if I was alert and patient in accumulating a decent kit. When the ES 100 series came out, and occasionally when Televue had a sale, the CN classifieds seemed to have even more of the 82 degree series available.

By 2017 I had a decent kit of ES 82s, except for the 14 mm, which I didn't feel I needed and which I've heard may be least among them. I had 4.4 mm through 30 mm, and that last required some rebalancing of my scope. I didn't get them ALL used, however; I picked up two of them new from our sponsor Astronomics. I felt good about giving business to the provider of this wonderful venue.  Metered over enough time, the costs didn't hurt TOO much. At least with ATM scopes, my only big expenses were in the eyepieces.

A couple other eyepieces came and went during these years, including a Nagler 12 mm T1 that was part of a lot that came with a used mirror. This was just too similar to the 11 mm 82 ES to justify keeping. That Mitsky Meade 8.8 mm became a graduation gift from a couple of us to a club member. The ES 82 8.8 mm, which was parfocal with my new series had made it redundant. 

Having decided I was DONE buying eyepiece, I sold off most of my Plossls and built myself a nice eyepiece case using a Harbor Freight aluminum case. I carved the firm foam to nest my LXs, ES 82s, and even my RACI, Telrad, and Paracorr2.  An upper removable tray to set next to the case kept all these at hand, though I wasn't using the LXs much except when observing with multiple scopes.

It was nice to be DONE getting the eyepieces I wanted: 

Screenshot_20200606-144537_Gallery_compress20.jpg

Well.....

I'm now building a couple of more scopes including an experimental unobstructed 8" f/10.6. The optical design of this one comes from the genius of Ed Jones, who I've now visited and worked with in person.  He realized that with a couple of of tilted lenses near the focuser, the astigmatism can be adequately corrected on reasonably fast parabolic mirrors tilted a full 3 degrees. Check out his "Chiefspiegler" on his web page. 

Now, this "Chief" will hopefully be a planet killer.  Of course, I need to see how good the images really CAN be. I don't need wide angle eyepieces for that slow (84" focal length) scope for what I'll use it for.  The Televue Delites may fit the bill for that.  Since they aren't THAT much more expensive than the ES 82s, and a LOT less than Delos eyepieces, why not buy JUST ONE? 

The problem I had was that I couldn't decide on 7 mm or 11 mm.  I want to use use 7 mm, which would yield just over 300 power,  but know my skies won't always support that. I finally resolved the dilemma by getting BOTH: 

20191231_130942_compress89_compress35.jpg

It was after getting these just before the last new year that I made an interesting discovery....

These were the same diameter as the LXs, though a bit longer in the shorter focal lengths. THEY WILL FIT IN THE TOP TRAY OF MY "FINAL" EYEPIECE KIT!

When a 4 mm Delite appeared in the CN classifieds a couple of months later, it just HAD to join its brothers. On those nights when the magic happens how high can I push magnification in a Chief with a good primary anyway? Besides, I just HAVE to have a Delite that will yield similar powers in my Dobs for comparison with the Chief, for the RESEARCH, you know.....

And, of course, there is that fourth pocket in the eyepiece tray that just HAS to hold a lower power Delite that will show more than  a half degree of sky in the Chief.  I just have to get an 18.2 mm. The Chief will necessarily hold only 1 1/4" eyepieces because of the lens and diagonal sizes. My ES 82s only go to 11 mm in that diameter, anyway. 

SO....I put out a CN "wanted" classified for an 18.2 Delite after JUST missing out on one this week. Astronomics showed inventory of these as "more on the way" yesterday when I placed that ad. 

I inquired when Astronomics would have them in stock again and learned that they had an inventory discrepancy yesterday and in fact already had more on the shelf!

Okay.  I just HAVE to finish building up this FINAL eyepiece kit!

(I ordered it).

Screenshot_20200606-134333_Chrome_compress20.jpg

Edited by jtsenghas, 06 June 2020 - 08:35 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, payner, BravoFoxtrot and 15 others like this

#2 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:05 PM

You won't regret the DLs.  I love 'em, and I am just 4 more short of having a full inventory.  grin.gif

GG

#3 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the fun write up.

I foolishly bought an 18.2 Delite myself the other day.

• DSOGabe likes this

#4 TNmike

TNmike

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:21 PM

Medical science has no cure yet...

• Dave Mitsky, lionel, CrazyPanda and 4 others like this

#5 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

I foolishly just sold two. 

• rgm40, areyoukiddingme and Himal Bhandari like this

#6 terrypaula

terrypaula

Mariner 2

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

I'm happy for you. I remember starting with  pair of 7x50 binoculars, a reclining lawn chair and starchart I borrowed from the local library. 

I had to give up on ep's long ago because of the cost and my eyesight, I couldn't see much color and it was getting hard to get focus right.  I've recently sold all ep's, except for the centering ep's an the Powermates and I've converted to observing completely by EAA.  Much better for me.  I could read the writing on the wall, my eyes were starting to age.  I can't see the definition as I used too.  Truthfully, I'm very happy with viewing electronically and I feel I saved a bunch of money crossing over to EAA because of the sale of the eyepieces.  But the astronomy hobby, thankfully, has many facets and interests.  Honestly, if it weren't for my eyes I be right along side you.

I've never had the pleasure of viewing through a Delite, I have to ask are they that much better for the money?  They seem to be a very expensive item for a person like me, a retired man with a nasty case of arthritis on a fixed income. Not that I'm looking for sympathy.  I started in this hobby long ago and have been witness to many changes with the introduction of electronics.  We now have telescope Messier would have sold his dog for.  They talk about how clear the skies have become.  Just think about how much better the skies were in those days.  Messier had to see the objects to be able to draw and document them.  Some of the Messier objects are nearly impossible to view with an eyepiece these days.  At least for me.

To me this is a great hobby, just not a cheap one...

#7 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:26 PM

Are YOU the one who beat me to the one in the CN classifieds this week? 

#8 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

med_gallery_249298_10131_248145.jpg

Only five to go ...

• Allan Wade, Tyson M, 25585 and 1 other like this

#9 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:28 PM

I've never had the pleasure of viewing through a Delite, I have to ask are they that much better for the money? 

Yes.

• Doug Culbertson likes this

#10 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

You should maybe be honest with yourself and admit that you'll never truly be done. 

• eros312 and Thomas_M44 like this

#11 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:48 PM

I'm cautiously getting essentially about every OTHER ONE from 4 mm to 18.2. 

Don't need to fill in the gaps. 

My"final" eyepiece case is full. 

Nope.  Done.

(Hope I don't get an eyepiece case for Father's Day).

#12 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

"Hi.  My name is J.T. and I'm an astroholic."

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#13 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

I find that with my 18” I prefer the Delite over the Ethos and Delos most of the time.

#14 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:12 PM

I have an 18 & 15. Maybe a 9 next sale time.  

#15 carver2011

carver2011

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:16 PM

I have a 9mm and 18.2mm Delite, and love them. I will be ordering 2 more in the next few months. TeleVue has a winner with the Delite eyepieces.
Ed

#16 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

med_gallery_249298_5348_30101.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, eros312, Kutno and 4 others like this

#17 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:29 PM

there is a cure for this disease, yes yes really, buy another lol.
you will love this eyepiece.

#18 John F

John F

Apollo

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:07 AM

The problem I had was that I couldn't decide on 7 mm or 11 mm.  I want to use use 7 mm, which would yield just over 300 power,  but know my skies won't always support that. I finally resolved the dilemma by getting BOTH: 

Over the past 30 years since I became a star gazer I've resolved many similar dilemmas that way.

• Heywood likes this

#19 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:29 AM

*Itch to buy more TeleVue DeLites intensifies*

• DSOGabe likes this

#20 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Ranger 4

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

My DeLites get quite a bit of use....excellent EPs!

Clear skies,

Mark

#21 SteveC

SteveC

Cosmos

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

Congrats,

I'm waiting for the EthoDelites, then I'm all in.

#22 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:31 AM

Congrats,

I'm waiting for the EthoDelites, then I'm all in.

I think Paul would market those as the "Elites"! wink.gif

(Al gets too much credit for Paul Delechiaie's work. We have Paul to thank for the improved Paracorr 2 that works well on even fast mirrors reportedly down to about f/3, AND the Delites.  Taking the Delos series from 72 to 62 degrees with the size reduction really did reduce cost and weight.  Brilliant! )

Edited by jtsenghas, 07 June 2020 - 09:32 PM.

• SteveC and CrazyPanda like this

#23 howardcano

howardcano

Viking 1

• Loc: Olathe, KS

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

"THEY WILL FIT IN THE TOP TRAY OF MY "FINAL" EYEPIECE KIT!" = Reason to spend many hundreds of dollars.

I like the way you think!  smile.gif

• jtsenghas likes this

#24 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

My"final" eyepiece case is full. 

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I thought getting a zoom would stop my buying. It did, but only in the middle range.

I thought buying a NV eyepiece would stop my buying since it gets 90% of my usage. No, 10% is still a lot of astronomy.

If you buy new scopes ... you are not done.

If you are still breathing ... you are not done.

• eros312, SkyRanger, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#25 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:39 PM

I find that with my 18” I prefer the Delite over the Ethos and Delos most of the time.

Interesting observation.

A new f/2.8 mirror may force some additions to my line-up. Mike Lockwood only recommends Ethos, Delos, and DeLite. I was thinking Delos if needed.

SkyRanger loaned me his 4 mm and 5mm for a couple of weeks, and they were very impressive.

• SkyRanger likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics