•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie who needs help with repairing a broken lunar meteorite slice

moon DIY
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aohan03

Aohan03

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:40 PM

Hi everybody! Long time visitor and first time poster. I suppose the title says it all. How do I do it? If it can't be done are there any professionals that can repair my meteorite slice? Its a slice of NWA 5000 approx 2.4grams I believe. Quite frankly I don't know how it broke. If possible I would like to do it myself but I am definitely not averse to paying someone professional and qualified to repair it (if such a person exists). I read a previous post or two on here about repairing meteorites but honestly I'm pretty hesitant to do so as a) I've never done it before and don't wanna mess it up and b) I spent a good chunk of change on this.

I have included some pictures of both sides of the aforementioned meteorite, along with some close ups as well. I would really appreciate your thoughts, insights and responses. Thank you so very much everyone and have yourselves a wonderful weekend!

EDIT: Please click the following dropbox link to view the photos (I couldn't upload them all due to file size limits)

https://www.dropbox....igJAWZoMZa?dl=0

Thank you!!

Artie

Edited by Aohan03, 06 June 2020 - 04:40 PM.

• Thorkill likes this

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

You might consider superglue.

#3 peter scherff

peter scherff

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

Hi Artie,

Welcome to Space Rocks! You have inadvertently stumbled upon one of the paradoxes of the meteorite market. Meteorites are priced per gram. The price per gram for almost all meteorites goes down when the size of the piece goes up. So your broken piece is arguably worth more now than when it was whole. What I have done in a situation like this is to sell the pieces and purchase a new large sample. That being said I have seen meteorites stabilized and glued together. However I think your slice might be so thin as to make that very difficult.

Thanks,

Peter 

#4 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:21 PM

Hi Artie,

Welcome to Space Rocks! You have inadvertently stumbled upon one of the paradoxes of the meteorite market. Meteorites are priced per gram. The price per gram for almost all meteorites goes down when the size of the piece goes up. So your broken piece is arguably worth more now than when it was whole. What I have done in a situation like this is to sell the pieces and purchase a new large sample. That being said I have seen meteorites stabilized and glued together. However I think your slice might be so thin as to make that very difficult.

Thanks,

Peter 

The advice you gave here was excellent, I followed it and it worked.  However yeah there is a significant difference in size.

https://www.cloudyni...eteorite-slice/

Edited by mark8888, 06 June 2020 - 08:23 PM.

#5 RussD

RussD

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:56 PM

Hey, you just doubled the number of lunar meteorites you own for free.   Cool.

Russ

#6 Aohan03

Aohan03

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:37 AM

Thank you so much for everyones advice. I guess I'm not going to repair it. I guess Im just going to keep both pieces the way they are. Maybe I MIGHT sell them and eventually buy a larger piece with the profits but that's a ways in the future. Thank you everyone!

#7 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:14 PM

Hi Aohan and welcome to CN.

I think you made the right decision. Your meteorite would loose value if you introduce a foreign substance to the sample. Now you can say you have 2 moon rocks.

Cheers.

CM

#8 Aohan03

Aohan03

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2020 - 12:11 AM

Hi Aohan and welcome to CN.

I think you made the right decision. Your meteorite would loose value if you introduce a foreign substance to the sample. Now you can say you have 2 moon rocks.

Cheers.

CM

Yes Im kind of worried about that. I must admit Im decently new to this but my understanding is that NWA 5000 is decently valuable, and since I've confirmed my sample is actually genuine, I don't want to do anything that might diminish it's value and/or for the lack of a better phrase have it not be in "mint condition". I need to get some sort of display case for it. Thank you again for the responses and the warm welcome! I am very appreciative!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moon, DIY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics