•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue 85 Solar Setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mwwk

mwwk

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, California USA

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:42 PM

Hello All

This is my Tele Vue 85 solar setup, which is now complete.

I use a Coronado 90mm etalon with the 2” straight-through BF30 blocking filter.  The etalon and BF30 came with a cheap 1.25” diagonal which had a red film inside that apparently is a “hot filter”.  I found the setup somewhat unstable with my Binotron 27 Super System and decided to purchase the Denkmeier R1 Power Switch diagonal which can be inserted directly into the BF30 giving me more stability than the 1.25” diagonal provided by Coronado/Meade.  The Denkmeier “OCS 37”, which is used for most refractors with the Binotron, would not allow me to come to focus because of the added optical path length when using the BF30 so Russ at Denkmeier recommended another “Multipurpose” OCS which works perfectly for both mono and bino solar viewing with the R1 Power Switch diagonal.  For nighttime use the standard “OCS 37” is used for both mono and bino viewing when I use the R1 Power Switch diagonal with the TV-85.

An adapter was purchased from precise parts to mount the etalon on the TV-85.  My TV-85 is more than 15 years old so I needed to upgrade the focuser with a Feather Touch which functions very well.  The system is mounted on a DiscMounts DM-4 and although I own both a Berlebach Report and Uni tripod,  I have found the Uni to be more stable.  I use the Tele Vue Sol-Searcher.   To avoid the blocking filter rust problem I place a 2” Baader UV/IR cut/L filter in the OTA before the BF30.

My system is now very stable and seems to work well.  The Power Switch allows for 3 different magnifications without having to change eyepieces.  I am still working on my skills of tuning and notice improved viewing with time.

-Mark

IMG_2438.jpeg

• CarlDD and eros312 like this

#2 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:25 PM

Nice setup, the power switch is a great feature, I wouldn’t be without one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics