•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post Surgery and Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jjbag

jjbag

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mid Atlantic

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:15 PM

Curious if anyone on here has ever had to have a bypass where they crack open your chest. How long before you felt safe and secure enough to drag out your Dob? I have a 10 inch one and i know it will be atleast another 6 weeks before i get the okay to even think about it, but wondering if anyone has an words of wisdom to impart?

thanks 

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

What does your doctor say? Can you send him or her an email? Do they understand how important observing is?

Are you getting physical therapy? Therapists know a lot about practical stuff.

Since CABG is probably in my future, and I love my 10 inch Dob, I am curious about replies you will get.
  • jjbag likes this

#3 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:35 PM

Use one of your smaller scopes. It's still better than nothing. Best wishes for a fast recovery.
  • izar187 and jjbag like this

#4 Andrekp

Andrekp

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

Are saying you will take medical advice from random strangers on the Internet?

ask your doctor.  He or she is the ONLY person you should be listening to on this.

[/THREAD]

• csa/montana, jim kuhns, AD14EM2 and 2 others like this

#5 jjbag

jjbag

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

What does your doctor say? Can you send him or her an email? Do they understand how important observing is?

Are you getting physical therapy? Therapists know a lot about practical stuff.

Since CABG is probably in my future, and I love my 10 inch Dob, I am curious about replies you will get.

currently on limit of 2 lbs till the 24th then i go to 5 lbs,  then over 20 lb at end of august (at least thats the current DR game plan) (no physical therapy currently due to covid-19), i'm thinking in August i will be able to use my meade 80 ext. Just was wanting to hear from those who have gone through this. 

• payner likes this

#6 jjbag

jjbag

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:44 PM

Are saying you will take medical advice from random strangers on the Internet?

ask your doctor.  He or she is the ONLY person you should be listening to on this.

[/THREAD]

LOL, understood.. i'm just trying to get a fix on approximations. Overall i'm a young old man 57.........  

#7 kathyastro

kathyastro

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:45 PM

Don't push it!  I am recovering from less major surgery, and I am finding it takes longer than you think.  Your surgeon should have given you guidance on what you can do when.  Follow that guidance, but also listen to your body.  If your surgeon says you can lift X pounds after Y weeks, and you try it and it hurts, wait some more time before trying again.

Use a smaller scope if you are itching to get out.  Or use binos.  Or go naked-eye.  You can enjoy the night sky without risking your health.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

• skybsd, BoldAxis1967, lsfinn and 3 others like this

#8 LasVegasMikey

LasVegasMikey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:50 PM

Best wishes to you. I hope everything goes well. 

• Jon Isaacs and jjbag like this

#9 jjbag

jjbag

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

thank you all for your responses its appreciated!

#10 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

Let me suggest some handheld binoculars, even better the image stabilized ones. At least you can sit out and view.
  • jim kuhns, areyoukiddingme, Michael Covington and 1 other like this

#11 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:59 PM

I like Ray’s advice about the binoculars.  Even though you’ve got an 80mm scope, you’d still have to deal with a tripod.  Glad to hear you’re recovering, but do take it easy!

• BoldAxis1967 and jjbag like this

#12 MOwen

MOwen

Vostok 1

• *----
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:35 PM

It's terribly dangerous to predict post-surgery progress.  Each case has its own personality.  I had a double by-pass just over 3 years ago at age 69 and was back at the gym 2 weeks (to the day) after the surgery.  Even so, I can't lift as much as I used to so I've come up with ways to manage the weight of my scope (roughly 200 lbs total) without having to actually lift it.  Any medical advice I could give you would be worthless but my personal advice is that you have to learn to listen to what your body is trying to tell you.  For example, my post-surgery Achilles Heel is getting overheated.  It's something I never felt before but it is patently obvious to me now.  When it occurs, I know I have to back off.  Please be patient (pun intended, I suppose) and work with your physician to help determine your benchmarks and how long it will take you to reach them.  If it's any consolation, I look back on my surgery as a slight blip on the overall radar.

• csa/montana and jjbag like this

#13 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Vanguard

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

Have someone help you set up your scope and observe away!

• jjbag likes this

#14 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:26 AM

I had a double bypass in July 2016 when I was 48 and had an 8" dob at the time.  If I remember correctly, I wasn't cleared to lift it's weight until October of that year.  I wasn't allowed to drive until Labor day, so any observing I did was with binoculars on my back deck.  Once I was cleared to drive, I went to a couple of my club's star parties and mooched views out of other members scopes!

• doctordub and cookjaiii like this

#15 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:18 PM

Wow, we have some tough members here!  Glad you all are doing well after your surgery.

jjbag; you've gotten some good advice, but the best advice was listen to your body, and don't push your recovery!

Best wishes for a complete recovery!  Please let us know how you're doing. flowerred.gif 

#16 justfred

justfred

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:40 PM

JJ - yep, got that t-shirt.

See my comments on the subject here: https://www.cloudyni...b-partner-r3137

And take it easy! Easy means SLOWLY getting back at it. :-)

Fred

#17 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:30 AM

Use the ETX 80, and get someone to help take it out as well.

And get a chair, a warm jacket and even a set of small binoculars, as well as the ETX.

I have the ETX 70, but if in your position it would be the Az GTi mount and the WO 61 scope. Taken out if by myself as 2 items. Nice, small, light, easy.

Take mount out set up about right, take scope out set up on mount, then you engage brain, take your time - if you need an excuse then the scope need to cool down (obvious isn't it grin.gif ). Collect your thoughts, and bits, amble back out to the scope.

Cool down is a good reason (excuse) for taking it easy.

And don't get annoyed at the clouds that will come to see what you are doing.

#18 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Apollo

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:58 AM

Curious if anyone on here has ever had to have a bypass where they crack open your chest. How long before you felt safe and secure enough to drag out your Dob? I have a 10 inch one and i know it will be atleast another 6 weeks before i get the okay to even think about it, but wondering if anyone has an words of wisdom to impart?

thanks

A few months, at least. It is not an easy thing to recover from. Trust someone else to help with setup. Cover the scope when done, and get help with de-setup (new word?) the next day.

#19 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:05 AM

Went out last night with my grabngo and didn't even use it.... watched a beautiful sunset all the way to when there was no longer any sunlight in the sky.  Checked out the stars naked eye for a few minutes then packed up and went home.  Enjoyed it immensely.

#20 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:50 PM

As a retired nurse who used to see patients before their planned surgery to teach them what to expect and how to recover best let me say, GO SLOW. I saw many people who had refractured their fractured sternum or broken the wires. Then their recovery period was greatly extended. Sometimes and this is why I was seeing these patient there is the need for more surgery. This is broken bone and bones take a long time to heal well. 

Get someone else to move the scope. Once it is in place “Have at er!”.

Bill

• GeneT likes this

#21 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:40 PM

First, follow exactly the doctor's recovery requirements. You might get feeling better, and rush into physical activity that would give you a set back--possibly a big set back. I would discuss with your doctor the specific motions loading, setting, and taking down your telescope and get his/her feedback on how the stresses will affect the areas around your surgery. How would heavy lifting affect the internal organs where the surgery was performed? I would ask how long before you are totally healed. In short, it would be smart to be safe and not sorry.

• csa/montana likes this

#22 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:17 AM

An interesting side-effect that I have post surgery - apparently one of my ribs isn't seated correctly, so whenever I bend over, or reach out it shifts a little and "pops".  There's no pain or even discomfort, just an odd feeling, like cracking a knuckle, but in my sternum.  I mentioned it to my pcp and he told me not to worry about it.

#23 woodbuck

woodbuck

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richwood, West Virginia

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

This is when you need a grandchild or borrow the neighbors kid, they can set up, place your chair, hand you eye pieces, etc. and all you have to do is bark orders, on second thought after bypass surgery maybe barking isn't a good idea.   Having a young'un helping you do something can be one of the best or worst expierences depending on the young'un.

#24 Shopaholic

Shopaholic

Vostok 1

• Loc: East Bay, California

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:25 PM

thanks 

no heavy lifting more than 5-6 pounds for at least 8 weeks! don't risk injury. Wish you a speedy recovery.

#25 justfred

justfred

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

Found the tshirt... grin.gif 

Please excuse the pandemic haircut.

Hang in there JJ.

Fred

tshirt.jpg

• csa/montana, jjbag, Chris K and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics