•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy G-11 or G11T?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tranathi

tranathi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:44 PM

I’m looking for a good mount for the (potential) Tak TOA 150 or TEC 160. I’ve been looking at the Losmandy products line and see that the G-11 may be a great option. Yup...until I read others saying that an EQ8 or G11T may be a better choice in other threads/forums. I’m really not looking for an overkill and want a mount & tripod that is somewhat feasible to bring it out to the field. So, my question: Is the G-11 good enough for TOA150/TEC160?For visual and AP? Is the G11T meant for permanent installing only? If not, is it extremely difficult to bring to the field (travel)? Some inputs would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:35 PM

I have owned both excellent mounts, and there is quite a difference between the two, since the RA of the G11T is the Losmandy Titan RA.

The G11 did hold my C14 but the G11T REALLY held it! Solid as a rock. But I had it on a permanent pier in my yard. Lugging that thing around would be quite the effort, given the 45 lbs or so of RA weight, but certainly not impossible.

Some people mount their TEC180s on a DM6 and are happy with it. I had my TEC180 on an AP1100, but due to the moment of arm that a 180 has, with it's 40 lbs of scope, diagonal and Ethos eyepiece, I never would have mounted it on a G11.

Now a TEC160 is quite a different beast from the 180, and I would think that a G11 would do fine in the field with it, though I can only speak for visual, since I do not image. Setting up the G11 would be tremendously easier for sure.

• Losmandy and tross like this

#3 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:37 PM

One thing about all Losmandy G11's and G11GTs is they can be broken down into 2 parts, the Dec axis and the RA axis. It requires the RA-EXT G11 kit to do this. This makes 1 25lb piece and another 20lb piece which is nice if you need to move the mount. Please watch the following video where Scott Losmandy demonstrates the feature:

https://www.youtube....h?v=enrQk_MT8KE

Edited by rkaufmann87, 06 June 2020 - 08:40 PM.

• Losmandy, tross and SonnyE like this

#4 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

I'm no where near your needs. But I do have to lug my GM811G HD out, and back in, every clear night.

So I modularized mine. I imagine the same could be done with the Titan.

Mine breaks down into 4 modules.

1. Tripod (HD),

2. 12" ext/RA,

2. Dec axis (as Roger states with the RA-EXT),

4. Telescope w/ everything from the bar up.

My 5th trip is my mount computer.

But the Losmandy line lends itself to being able to break it down into manageable pieces (modules). Another thing I found very attractive about it.

I'm only ~20 miles North of Burbank, so I drove down to pick mine up.

Scott Losmandy is the only hands-on owner I've ever known. He and I boxed my HD tripod, because it was a bit heavy for little Tanya.

If you take a module approach, it should be doable. Also there are options like truck cranes.

But I'm a hoofer. tongue2.gif

• Losmandy, tross and Wildetelescope like this

#5 tross

tross

Explorer 1

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:24 PM

Both mounts are very well built and for the price, offer a good investment.

Keep in mind, that none of the mounts come with any power supply, so you would need the one they show or a portable power supply.

• Losmandy likes this

#6 tranathi

tranathi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. Through further research, it appears that the G-11 and G11T share the same tripods, with the DEC & RA axis’s being much larger & heavier on the G11T. The good thing is that the whole assembly can be pieced out into three parts to carry separately like rkaufmann87 had mentioned. I kind of feel that the G-11 should be sufficient for any OTA weights 40 pounds or less, but Codbear’s idea of the TEC180 & G11T really got me interested. Plus, having the bigger mount will allow more room for future “expansion” as my interest in this hobby takes off ;)
  • Losmandy and Codbear like this

#7 Codbear

Codbear

Viking 1

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. Through further research, it appears that the G-11 and G11T share the same tripods, with the DEC & RA axis’s being much larger & heavier on the G11T. The good thing is that the whole assembly can be pieced out into three parts to carry separately like rkaufmann87 had mentioned. I kind of feel that the G-11 should be sufficient for any OTA weights 40 pounds or less, but Codbear’s idea of the TEC180 & G11T really got me interested. Plus, having the bigger mount will allow more room for future “expansion” as my interest in this hobby takes off wink.gif

Oh Boy...if you've got a significant other am I ever going to start getting hate mail!!! lol.gif

First the TEC160 sounded good, now the TEC180 sounds great! Next thing you know it will be a TEC200! 

Oh wait...I did that!grin.gif  100% worth it though!!! waytogo.gif

• Losmandy likes this

#8 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:09 PM

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. Through further research, it appears that the G-11 and G11T share the same tripods, with the DEC & RA axis’s being much larger & heavier on the G11T. The good thing is that the whole assembly can be pieced out into three parts to carry separately like rkaufmann87 had mentioned. I kind of feel that the G-11 should be sufficient for any OTA weights 40 pounds or less, but Codbear’s idea of the TEC180 & G11T really got me interested. Plus, having the bigger mount will allow more room for future “expansion” as my interest in this hobby takes off wink.gif

I have the G11 T on a parallax pier. I use it regularly with my F9 150 mm AP Starfire Triplet.  It is rock solid for visual.  I can sit and focus with no wiggle at all and I am really picky about that(that is why I spend the money on the mount, for visual use:-).  I have done some guiding with this configuration and have typically gotten results of 0.7" RMS using this scope, using a 50 mm guide scope that attaches via a finder scope shoe and the ST4 port.  That is about what my skies support on average and I am fine with it.   I would emphasize that I have NOT done any optimization of the PHD II model, or employed a PEC model with something like PEM PRO, which should result in tighter guiding.  Very happy with all my Losmandy gear.

The Dec axis is the same as the G11.  The RA is based on the Titan design and what makes this mount.  The Losmandy Tripod is basically a pier all by itself and will certainly not take away from the stability of the setup.  I have an older style tripod HD tripod that I use with my GM8 and Atlas mounts.  I will say that the mass of the Titan RA is substantial, even disassembled.   How portable it is really depends on the individual.   For my part, I would not have a problem taking to a multiple day star party, for example, but traveling with it for a single evening is probably more effort to me than I am willing to expend given that I am now at the half century mark.  When I was in the 30's it would likely be a different story.  However, if you are willing to haul around a 180 mm triplet, then the motivation for taking the heavier mount is a lot stronger.  Ultimately up to you.  Hope this helps!

JMD

Edited by Wildetelescope, 08 June 2020 - 02:17 PM.

• tross likes this

#9 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

Both mounts are very well built and for the price, offer a good investment.

Keep in mind, that none of the mounts come with any power supply, so you would need the one they show or a portable power supply.

Don't skimp on the power supply.   Something like one of the Kendrick supplies is what I would recommend as opposed to the Powertank variety of power supplies.  

JMD

#10 tross

tross

Explorer 1

Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

I know you mentioned the TAK TOA 150 or 160 in your original post.

Have you looked at the new Stellarevue SVX152T that is currently in production ?

#11 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

Guys, let's get back on topic. If you want to discuss different brands of similar sized OTAs, please do that in the Refractor Forum. Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics