•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bresser telescopes?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stars n planets

stars n planets

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:30 PM

Im looking at this telescope

https://www.rotherva...e-assembly.html

And comparing in with a 150pds from skywatcher. Why dont i see anyone with these bressers? Are they no good?

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

I have the ES version of Bresser 8" f/6 Dob. It's a solid scope with good optics and mechanics. The spider is tight, the focuser is solid, and the primary cell and springs are strong.

Edited by Asbytec, 07 June 2020 - 09:51 AM.

#3 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:30 AM

I have the ES version of Bresser 8" f/6 Dob. It's a solid scope with good optics and mechanics. The spider is tight, the focuser is solid, and the primary cell and springs are strong.

waytogo.gif I have both 8 and 10 inch ones. Excellent Dob mounts, best commercial models, great focuser & the OTA can be moved in its rings for balance or put on another mount. 

• Asbytec likes this

#4 Messierthanwhat

Messierthanwhat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:43 AM

Im looking at this telescope

https://www.rotherva...e-assembly.html

And comparing in with a 150pds from skywatcher. Why dont i see anyone with these bressers? Are they no good?

I would be surprised if that Newtonian is not the very same item sold by Celestron and perhaps some others. I own one of their smaller, 4.5" Newtonians. Some of its parts, particularly the mirror mount and the focuser, are slightly nicer than one usually finds on low-end telescopes.

I think the reason we don't see more of and about the brand is that their parent, Explore Scientific, has too many subsidiary product lines, tries not to compete with their own top-end products, and hasn't handled the Bresser brand in ways that target enthusiasts. Here in the US, for example, Bresser telescopes have been primarily sold in hobby/toy stores for several years. They also have avoided including any ED or APO refractors in the Bresser product line. To me, at least, that suggests they don't want the brand to be taken too seriously. Also, when they've brought out products that would appeal to enthusiasts, they've made some strange decisions. A few years ago, for example, ES brought out a go-to equatorial mount - Bresser EXOS2-GT - that was essentially a redux of the Meade LXD75. That suggested a turn toward seriousness, and got enough attention to produce several multi-page discussions here on cloudynights. Then they decided to "upgrade" the mount by changing the firmware so that the mount had to be operated with a Windows phone (!?!) And since then, they've been selling their mounts under the Explore Scientific brand, rather than Bresser. 

#5 sputniksteve

sputniksteve

Sputnik

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:11 AM

I would be surprised if that Newtonian is not the very same item sold by Celestron and perhaps some others. I own one of their smaller, 4.5" Newtonians. Some of its parts, particularly the mirror mount and the focuser, are slightly nicer than one usually finds on low-end telescopes.

I think the reason we don't see more of and about the brand is that their parent, Explore Scientific, has too many subsidiary product lines, tries not to compete with their own top-end products, and hasn't handled the Bresser brand in ways that target enthusiasts. Here in the US, for example, Bresser telescopes have been primarily sold in hobby/toy stores for several years. They also have avoided including any ED or APO refractors in the Bresser product line. To me, at least, that suggests they don't want the brand to be taken too seriously. Also, when they've brought out products that would appeal to enthusiasts, they've made some strange decisions. A few years ago, for example, ES brought out a go-to equatorial mount - Bresser EXOS2-GT - that was essentially a redux of the Meade LXD75. That suggested a turn toward seriousness, and got enough attention to produce several multi-page discussions here on cloudynights. Then they decided to "upgrade" the mount by changing the firmware so that the mount had to be operated with a Windows phone (!?!) And since then, they've been selling their mounts under the Explore Scientific brand, rather than Bresser. 

In the UK, perhaps, they seem to be having a better - more serious - looking range. For example: https://www.rotherva...or-series.html 

#6 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:25 PM

Bresser Newtonians are the same as ES Firstlight models.

• Asbytec likes this

#7 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:59 AM

"Then they decided to "upgrade" the mount by changing the firmware so that the mount had to be operated with a Windows phone (!?!) "

Where do people get this kind of stuff?

Explore Scientific upgraded the old EXOS2-GT to the PMC-8 version by adding belt driven stepper motors, an ASCOM compliant driver, and the ability to use the mount wirelessly with their own app called ExploreStars which runs on any 7 inch or larger tablet or computer.  The means Windows, Android, or iOS.  It currently does not work with cellphones because the screens are too small.  The rated weight capacity for astrophotography is 28 lbs and for observing is up in the range of 40 lbs or so..  Additionally, Explore Scientific has made the PMC-8 open source.

This PMC-8 version of the old EXOS2-GT is a significant upgrade and the software is constantly being upgraded.  Most importantly, it does not require a "Windows phone" nor is the upgrade only about a new interface.

Patrick

#8 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 18 June 2020 - 03:05 AM

And, to get back on topic, Explore Scientific is simply the US distributor of the German Bresser line.  Explore Scientific also has their own line of products that they sell alongside the Bresser line.  

Patrick

• Asbytec likes this

#9 Messierthanwhat

Messierthanwhat

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:15 AM

"Then they decided to "upgrade" the mount by changing the firmware so that the mount had to be operated with a Windows phone (!?!) "

Where do people get this kind of stuff?

Explore Scientific upgraded the old EXOS2-GT to the PMC-8 version by adding belt driven stepper motors, an ASCOM compliant driver, and the ability to use the mount wirelessly with their own app called ExploreStars which runs on any 7 inch or larger tablet or computer.  The means Windows, Android, or iOS.  It currently does not work with cellphones because the screens are too small.  The rated weight capacity for astrophotography is 28 lbs and for observing is up in the range of 40 lbs or so..  Additionally, Explore Scientific has made the PMC-8 open source.

This PMC-8 version of the old EXOS2-GT is a significant upgrade and the software is constantly being upgraded.  Most importantly, it does not require a "Windows phone" nor is the upgrade only about a new interface.

Patrick

I got that right here on cloudynights, first in this thread, and post #26 by Jerry Hubbell, the ES rep, on March 22, 2017. As a user of an aging LXD75, I was then reading every thread that showed up here about the Bresser version (before finally deciding on a different mount). As you'll see in Jerry's post and others, the initial introduction of the PMC-8 with a Bresser label was specifically designed for operation with a Windows tablet or phone. As Jerry put it:

[T]he PMC-Eight uses a windows based tablet as a hand controller. These tablets provide a lot of flexibility moving forward and can be had for around $80 to run the ExploreStars application. Again this is the ONLY hand controller option at this time for the PMC-Eight mount controller.

I stopped following those threads so closely after acquiring the different mount, but I believe the changes you describe came significantly later, roughly coinciding with changing to an Explore Scientific label. If they'd been made earlier, I might be using a PMC-8 mount today.

Edited by Messierthanwhat, 18 June 2020 - 02:51 PM.

#10 Devonshire

Devonshire

Mariner 2

• Loc: S/W Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:47 AM

Messierthanthat,

Well, that post of Jerry's is old, and as you say, there have been changes.  They didn't build it and freeze it.  That was the start of a new product line, so things have kept moving.  The little iEXOS-100 that pops up here occasionally is a new-design PMC8 mount, and I expect that more will follow at some point. 

No, it doesn't come with a hand controller.  For myself, I don't need or want one, as I do all AP and my laptop manages the mount.  I use ASCOM, but when I decide to move off Win7, I'll probably put a Pi-based device on the mount and go to linux/INDI.  That works, too. 

If you're a visual user, then yes, you'd want a tablet and ES's 'Explorestars' app.  The all-windows thing?  Gone.  They figured that out, and you can now have IOS, Android, OR Windows.  Most seem to run Android or IOS tablets, and they do say that they are working on scaling the GUI down to fit phones.

Things have come a long way, from three-and-a-bit years ago...

• PatrickVt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics