•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autoguiding:FireCapture, ZWO ASIxxxx, Synscan/Mount ST4 port

astrophotography imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 banjo1000

banjo1000

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Plano, Texas and Fort Collins, CO

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:20 PM

I have yet to find the silver bullet for automatic planetary guiding.  As the title states, I'm using FireCapture, a ZWO camera with an ST4 port, and my equatorial mount happens to be either an Orion HDX110 with a Synscan 4 controller, or an Orion Sirius with a Synscan 3 controller.  Both mounts have their own ST3 port next to the port for the Synscan controller.  

Generally, I use the hand controller to find and center my objects.  Once I do so, I would like to use the FireCapture Autocapture feature.

Please assume that I have a USB to ST4 serial cable and had ST4 to ST4 cable.  

1) It would see that if I connect the ZWO camera directly to either the Synscan controller, the outcome would be undesirable as FireCapture would have no way to control the mount.  When, If ever, would I connect the ZWO ST4 port directly to the mount or the Synscan ST4 port?

2) Would I want to connect the USB port directly to the mount or to the Synscan hand controller?  I think the latter.

3) Are Synscan buttons enabled up to the time I engage auto guiding in Firecapture?

4)  What happens if I push a button accidentally on the hand controller?  How would I recover?

5) What happens if FIreCapture quits, or an RGB sequence gets hung and I have to shut it down?  How do I recover?  Do I lose my 2-star alignment?

6) When I am done photographing, do I uncheck auto guiding in FireCapture, and then I get my hand controller back?

Thanks,

Joe

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:41 PM

I tried only once to do this via FireCapture but it hung up immediately.  Next time I will try just regular autoguiding with PhD.  I was using pulse guide mode and the mount ASCOM driver.  I will be interested in responses you get.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics