•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New camera

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jack160219

Jack160219

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:32 PM

Hi, just got my first dedicated asi 1600 pro color and want to just experiment with its computer compatibility in different capture software. Is the any issue with not hooking up the cooling while using it? Thanks jk

#2 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:46 PM

No, no problem at all. Cooling is completely optional.

#3 Jack160219

Jack160219

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:08 PM

Thanks, I had seen a post about someone having an overheated camera and was wondering. Now if I can get APT to work with asi 1600.

Jk

#4 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:50 AM

JK,

I am not familiar with the implementation details of the 1600 cameras but you might need to connect the cooling power in order to fully play with the camera. You do not need to turn cooling on -- just have the 12v power cord for the cooler connected and powered.

The reason is that the USB-3 Port connection to the camera is only specified to supply up to 900 mA of current. If you are connecting to a USB-2 Port (perfectly acceptable), the port will only supply 500 mA of current to the camera. For some cameras, the 500 mA or 900mA of current supplied by the USB Port is not enough to properly run the device.

In some situations, sometimes the camera may need more power to actually run properly. It may connect just fine but then either refuse to download an image, return garbage-looking image data, or hang the USB bus and image capture application during a download. The camera manufacturers account for this by allowing the camera electronics to "steal" extra current from the TEC when it is powered.

If you have any issues at all while testing, don't rush to blame a bad camera. Simply connect up a 12 volt power source as if you would be cooling but don't turn it on. That way, there is a source for the camera to get the full power it may need.

John

Edited by jdupton, 07 June 2020 - 08:52 AM.

#5 Jack160219

Jack160219

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:22 PM

So even if I set the temp at ambient temperature, it would still draw power away if not connected? This is interesting. Jk

#6 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

JK,

You don't need to set the temperature to anything. Just don't turn on cooling at all.

One analogy that may help -- pretend you have a solar powered electrical system in your home but it is also connected to the power grid. When there is not enough power from the solar cells to power everything in your home, some power comes from the power grid to make up the difference. Your house may be running along fine and not need any extra power from the grid until the air conditioning turns on. At that point, if the solar cannot supply everything, it pulls in additional current from the power grid to make up the difference.

In a similar manner, you can connect up the cooling power connection but not turn it on. The cooler uses no power when turned off but that connection is shared with the camera's imaging electronics. When the camera is not doing anything or is taking an exposure, it uses little power and the USB can supply all it needs. Once it completes the exposure and starts the download, it may need extra power for all of the extra circuitry that has just been activated for the download of the image. If it needs more power than what the USB can supply, it simply draws the extra it needs from the TEC Cooler's power line. It can do this whether the TEC cooler is bring used or not.

Most capture software allows you to turn the cooler on or off via the software itself. If you turn it on, then you can also set a temperature to which you want the camera to cool. If you turn the cooler off, then no cooling takes place even if the TEC 12 volt power cable is attached and powered.

John

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:46 PM

Thanks, I had seen a post about someone having an overheated camera and was wondering. Now if I can get APT to work with asi 1600.

Jk

You will only get an overheated camera if your set point is close to 40C (72F) below ambient, and you operate the cooler for a long time.

Even if you have 100F temps, cooling the camera to +10C (50F) will present no problems. As long as you don't do something *really* dumb, there's no reason to worry about damaging the cooler. 

IMO, if you are testing the camera, the cooling part is the most important to test. 

#8 Jack160219

Jack160219

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:52 PM

Thanks, I think I’ve got it. !

#9 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:20 PM

BTW, just in case you're wondering, on the ASI1600 (other ASI cameras are different), the 12V connection is only for powering the TEC cooler, the fan, and the USB hub. It does not power the camera itself. So you do not need to plug in 12V if you don't plan on using the cooler, or plan on plugging things into the USB hub.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics