•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CGX mount on tripod from AVX?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:13 PM

Hi folks,

I'm considering my options on upgrading my AVX mount.  Compatibility with my current setup would be nice, including the mechanical side of things.

Just curious, will the CGX mount fit on top of the tripod from the AVX?  I see by the specs that the two tripods aren't identical, but am wondering if the top mating surface and assorted pegs and bolts are compatible.

Thanks,

Greg

#2 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Vostok 1

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:40 PM

They aren't.

The CGX is attached with 3 bolts in the side of the mount.

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:18 AM

Ok, thanks.  It was worth the try.

My presumed next mount was going to be the CEM60  If I could simply swap heads, the CGX would have been an easier upgrade, saving me from rebuilding literally everything from the ground on up.

Do you happen to know if the tips of the feet of the CGX tripod have the same spacing as the AVX?  Perhaps I can save the custom trolley that I built for the AVX, if the CGX tips can fit into the holes where the AVX sits.

#4 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:01 PM

They do not.

#5 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:07 PM

{sigh}

Thanks. 

#6 johnoelliott

johnoelliott

Vostok 1

• Loc: Toronto Ontario

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:41 PM

When the legs are completely collapsed, the AVX are 33" apart, the CGX are 36" apart

#7 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:47 PM

When the legs are completely collapsed, the AVX are 33" apart, the CGX are 36" apart

Thanks for the measurement!

Yeah, that's going to be a really tight fit...  If I split the difference, it almost fits between the bolts holding up the axle; it's exactly 36" from washer to washer.  Another inch and I'd be all set.  Might try a smaller washer or shaving it down on one side. 

The square block with the bolt going through it is the leveling jack, and that would be hard to move.  The tail leg has more space at the end, so that should be ok.

Might be worth the risk...  Then at least I'd have a mount with the same software interface to the rest of the system as the current mount.  (Same NexStar hand controller, I presume.  I have the one with the USB port at the base.)

Attached Thumbnails

• trolley width from other leg.jpg

#8 speedster

speedster

Ranger 4

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:51 PM

A CGX adapter to most any tripod is a pretty easy thing to fabricate.  In the image, the bolts to a tripod fit inside the CGX base ring.  Simply nuts welded to clip angles welded to a plate with tripod holes in it.  This particular plate is 11" to cover a 10" concrete pier but you get the idea.  Mock it up by connecting angles and nuts with just a bit of JB Weld then weld it up after JB is set.

Attached Thumbnails

• vsm IMG_2407.jpg

#9 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 03:12 PM

Thanks, Speedster.  That clarifies what the mount's attachment to the tripod would require.

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:54 AM

If you were going onto an AVX tripod using a pier adapter like that shown above then a small round adapter (a puck) would be required. The diameter would allow it to snugly fit into the top of the AVX tripod (with the azimuth/polar post removed) and be deep enough to either just touch the bottom or sit just above that round receiver area. It needs to be deep enough so that the spreader bar rod will thread into it (requiring a tapped center bolt hole) ... if however you used a different length spreader rod/bolt then you could also get away with a thinner "puck"(or no puck at all if the pier adapter plate was thick enough). Adding a few bolts down through the adapter plate to attach it to the puck would finish it off.

#11 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:09 PM

Thanks, guys.  I think, based on other feedback (https://www.cloudyni...m60-for-dso-ap/), that I should stick with my original plan and get the CEM60.  My two worries are that the extra weight of the CGX would make the whole thing too top-heavy for safely rolling the assembled telescope across the street, and that the mount's reputation makes the risk of fighting a software problem less than fighting the mount itself.  Given the difference in price isn't that much, the risks outweigh the savings.  Otherwise, the Frankenstein mounting would probably work...

#12 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

Greg,  Regardless of which mount you choose, a couple of comments regarding the wheels ...

When going across streets and such larger and softer wheels tend to work better than smaller diameter harder ones. The hard ones are great on really smooth concrete and such (garage or in and out of the house on smooth floors) but become an issue as soon as the "terrain" turns rough (even though it's still hard) and when there are any sort of transitions (over any lawn or road to side walk to driveway for example).

Any wheeled setup also needs to be well attached to the tripod. Bungie cords are sometimes ok but it's much better to use solid tie down straps. It's astonishing how fast a scope can start to tip when mounted on wheels so you also have to watch it like a hawk when you are moving it ... don't take your eyes off of it when rolling down the driveway and across the road.

Here again larger softer wheels make a real difference (they seem to absorb some of the shock and don't tend to cause a tip quite as quickly). Yes they don't look as nice but they really do work better (and help to keep your stress levels in check).

Edited by mclewis1, 10 June 2020 - 10:01 AM.

#13 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:16 PM

Hi Mark,

Yep, all excellent points.  I'm already using such wheels, at least on two legs.  The 3rd didn't work out, but with it in the back as it's being moved, that doesn't seem to be a problem.  Besides vibration, you don't want a front wheel to hit a pebble and stop suddenly.  The soft pneumatic tires prevent that.  The tripod is secured tightly to the trolley with non-stretch cord (shoe laces, actually).  TWO hands always on the tripod when in motion.  Period.

For entertainment, the trolley build was detailed here:  https://www.cloudyni...ruction-plans/ 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics