•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Draco Trio with APP Entirely solo

astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:07 AM

I managed to process a picture entirely on my own without any help from YouTube. I used APP, so it was much easier than PI. I denoised a little in GIMP afterward. It's still a little noisy and of course my stars are blobs due to using a doublet and no UV/IR cut filter.

Comments are welcome.

Gear: 

Orion EON 120 FPL-53 Doublet with at f/6 with Orion .8x reducer

CEM60

ASI533MC-Pro at -5C

116 2-minute subs (3:52) Acquired in SGP

30 darks

25 flats

25 dark flats

100 bias

Stacked and processed in Astro Pixel Processor 1.079 (Thanks Mabula!)

Draco Trio

Draco Trio Sharp

• mikewayne3, elmiko, dan_hm and 7 others like this

#2 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:15 AM

Good image. I  wonder what it would look like using 1 minute subs (twice as many for integration time).  Adding in a uv/ir cut filter might tighten up the stars.  Just for fun you might want to try going without the reducer to bring up the size of the galaxies. The  533 chip size is fairly small so the  field might be flat enough naturally. And certainly flat in center area of the galaxies.   Its always good to try the same subject in different exposures and frame size just to see how the different methods compare in the final results.   I would look forward to your comparisons. 

#3 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:47 AM

That's a great image! The only thing that's missing, in my opinion, is some noise reduction. That's one of the few areas where I find APP to be inferior to other processing programs.

#4 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:51 AM

Wonderful capture - :waytogo: !!

#5 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:12 AM

Good image. I  wonder what it would look like using 1 minute subs (twice as many for integration time).  Adding in a uv/ir cut filter might tighten up the stars.  Just for fun you might want to try going without the reducer to bring up the size of the galaxies. The  533 chip size is fairly small so the  field might be flat enough naturally. And certainly flat in center area of the galaxies.   Its always good to try the same subject in different exposures and frame size just to see how the different methods compare in the final results.   I would look forward to your comparisons. 

Great suggestions drd. I was so worried about a flat field that I didn't even consider not using the reducer. In the back of my mind, I wonder if it is contributing any CA to the stars? I just got the Astronomik UV/IR cut filter, so I will test it out soon. 

Clear skies!

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Aurora

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

Nice job Kevin!

#7 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Mike, Mark and Julian

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics