•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ADVICE: Eyepieces Purchase

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sreesha

Sreesha

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:45 AM

Hello

I am looking to buy eyepieces.  Price range - can spend upto 500$ if its worth the performance.

My need is both for Deepsky as well Planetary viewing.  Forget the FL , FoV etc I understand the technical specs.  I need help on choosing brands / models. 

If 2" is available for the suggestion made, I would prefer that over 1.25".

Please suggest best brands/models that I can look for in this price range.  PLEASE MENTION SPECIFIC MODEL of the brand, so it helps to narrow down.

Thanks.

#2 Napp

Napp

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:52 AM

I would watch the Cloudy Nights Classifieds for used Explore Scientific 82° eyepieces if wanting several ep’s for $500 total.

#3 stevenrjanssens

stevenrjanssens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:32 AM

What telescope?

• Jon Isaacs, areyoukiddingme and havasman like this

#4 stevenrjanssens

stevenrjanssens

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:51 AM

Also $500 in total or $500 per eyepiece? And it's tough to forget the specs when making suggestions as it would be helpful to know which specs you care about most, for example do you need eye relief?

• havasman likes this

#5 Sreesha

Sreesha

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:07 AM

What telescope?

I have two scopes.  ES ED 102 and Celestron 9.25. 

But to understand which model / brand is better under $500, why would your telescope matter?

Given a telescope, a good brand/model is always a good brand/model, unless I am missing something.

#6 stevenrjanssens

stevenrjanssens

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:30 AM

But to understand which model / brand is better under $500, why would your telescope matter?

Given a telescope, a good brand/model is always a good brand/model, unless I am missing something.

There are lines of eyepieces that do not have the long focal lengths needed for low powers in your SCT. There are others that don't have the short focal lengths needed for high power in your refractor. There are also eyepieces that work great at f/10 that would struggle at f/4. It would help to know what focal lengths you're missing, and what characteristics you prefer in eyepieces, otherwise all I can do is make blind suggestions based on my own preferences.

• Jon Isaacs, Kunama, Hesiod and 3 others like this

#7 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 07 June 2020 - 04:27 AM

There is no point just choosing a 'brand' blindly without considering what you want to look at and what your scopes are as well as you eyesight.  Some of the best eyepieces I have used are the Takahashi Orthos but their field of view is narrow and their short eye relief eventually made then less suitable for me.

Televue make fine eyepieces but a direct comparison of some TVs and same focal length Tak LEs showed that the LE was able to resolve fainter stars.  Pentax XWs are also fine eyepieces and perhaps the best in the 70 degree AFoV range, especially the 3.5mm to 10mm ones.

Perhaps the finest widefield eyepiece I have ever tried is the Nikon HW 17mm but unfortunately it doesn't suit my big scope, due to the field stop placement the inward focus is more than my setup caters for.

Personally I have several brands including Televue, Pentax, Takahashi, Lederman 3D, Nikon and a few miscellaneous oddities. I use the Televue Delos series for my outreach efforts, I use the Tak LE with my refractors especially if binoviewing....... 

As for 2" v 1.25", you'll find that most eyepieces of 20mm and shorter are 1.25", low power widefields will be 2".  I have converted all my Delos series to 2" using 1.25/2" adapters to make them more or less the same weight as my 2" eyepieces.

Edited by Kunama, 07 June 2020 - 04:39 AM.

• scrane, havasman, j.gardavsky and 1 other like this

#8 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:45 AM

APM 12.5mm flat wide and APM 30mm UFF are getting rave reviews and you could snag both for just a touch over your budget. Apparently the ER on the 12.5 is overstated and can be tight for eyeglass wearers.

ES 92 series are highly regarded if you want to spend it all in one place and need long ER.

I use a Tak 5LE and Vixen 3.4 HR with my 4” Apo for planetary. Both outstanding, and utterly useless for your SCT.

Scott
  • Kunama likes this

#9 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:19 AM

I have standardized on Explore Scientific 82 degree and Meade 5000 ultra wide angle, also 82 degree. I have two of the Meade, 2"/20mm and 1.25"/5.5 mm. In ES 82 I have the 1.25" 14, 8.8, 6.7, 4.7. I may add the 11 someday but really don't need it.

Very happy with all of them in my 8" Dob and 12"Dob as well as 5" Mak and 80 mm refractor.

My most used eyepiece is my Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. That gets more eyepiece time in my large scopes than all of my other 1.25" eyepieces combined.

I only have two 2" and that is all I plan to have. After about 20 mm, unless you are going for 100 degree or wider, there is no benefit to going 2".

Edited by aeajr, 07 June 2020 - 07:21 AM.

• SteveV, Kunama and Sreesha like this

#10 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:53 AM

Could you clarify why you would prefer 2”?  Is it for a larger TFOV or is it for convenience?  

Any 1.25” eyepiece can be 2” if you put a dedicated 2”-1.25” adapter on it.  

As for what I would recommend as good options: 

APM 30mm UFF $230

APM XWA eyepieces: 3.5mm, 4.7mm, 9mm, 13mm, and 20mm FL. $250

TeleVue DeLite: focal lengths from 3mm to 18.2mm. $256

Pentax XF 8.5mm. $129

All of these are excellent.

• Sreesha likes this

#11 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:13 AM

There are many fine eyepieces that would be useful in your scopes. As above, some are $500 each, some $500 for a well chosen complete kit.

And yes, you are.

No matter what, if you cannot answer for yourself the question you pose above then you're just throwing $ at a target somebody else is choosing for you. If you learn the relationships between scopes, eyepieces, observing conditions, object selection and observer preferences first then you will likely come away more satisfied and at less cost than with a scattershot approach.

Edited by havasman, 07 June 2020 - 08:13 AM.

• Kunama and Napp like this

#12 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

All the major brandings will work very well in either of your scopes since they have medium to longer focal ratios.  So really you need to compare the specs of various eyepiece brands to find the ones that will suit your preferences.  Eyepieces are a very personal thing.  So decided what you want for:

• Eye Relief         (<10mm tight, <15mm moderate, 20mm generous)
  • AFOV               (40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100 degrees)
  • Form Factor        (Ergonomics/Size/Weight - some huge bulky, others slim and diminutive)
  • Eye Guard Function (none, fixed, fixed fold-able, adjustable, adjustable with position lock)
  • Housing Style      (some are rubberized, others not, some have grip panels, etc.)
  • Price              (the sky is the limit but very important to know your total budget for say 5-6 eyepiece)

So all these brands are highly regarded:

• Baader
  • Explore Scientific
  • Fujiyama
  • Nikon
  • Pentax
  • Takahashi
  • Tele Vue
  • Vernonscope

Other brands, not as premium, but nevertheless have some quite good offerings (some even premium):

• Agena
  • APM
  • Astro-Tech
  • BST
  • Celestron
  • Edmund Scientific
  • Masuyama
  • Meade
  • Olivon
  • Orion
  • Sky-Watcher
  • TAL
  • Telescope Services
  • Vixen
  • William Optics
  • Zhumell

Edited by BillP, 07 June 2020 - 07:05 PM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#13 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:01 PM

I have two scopes. ES ED 102 and Celestron 9.25.

Yes. A lot of eyepieces work well at f/8 or longer, but very few work well at f/4 which is why to recommend eyepieces we need to note the scope they are for.

#14 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:09 PM

And Bill's list is far from complete.
Since there are well over a thousand different eyepieces, having some idea on your preferences for the parameters in Bill's post would help narrow it down.
Otherwise, the list would be huge.

#15 Sreesha

Sreesha

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:19 AM

Thank you all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics