•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Something odd in M51 image

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mdavister

mdavister

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:04 AM

So I was getting some data on M51 for Goofi's monthly challenge and noticed an odd artifact on one of the stars. It is on the top of the image, it appears that there is a blue material being ejected from the star. I checked some other images people have taken, and it does not show up there at all. I thought it might be something to do with the micro lenses on the camera, but it is not symmetric. Is this an optical aberration, or something real?

Camera is a QHY294C, scope is a Meade 130mm APO.

Forgive the brevity of the message its 3am and I'm tired. smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• M51_G2400_N10_300S_1_300s_2_CFW0_RGB_VNG_SMALL.jpg
  • StarZoomed.jpg

• retroman2 likes this

#2 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:40 AM

Looks like a reflection to me..
  • retroman2 likes this

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 07 June 2020 - 03:18 AM

Agree, reflection.

Do you have a reducer or a filter in use ?

• retroman2 likes this

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:19 AM

Are you using Hyperstar by chance?  This looks like a Schmidt ghost, which is a specific kind of reflection artifact.  They are common when shooting at F/2 with an SCT and a bright star in or near the field.

If that's the case, then you should consider a strong dither between subs.  That will move the reflection around from sub to sub, and then you can use stacking to reject them.

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Aurora

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:01 AM

Looks almost like a drop of dew or something on one of the elements in the imaging train.

#6 mdavister

mdavister

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2020 - 08:38 PM

With regards to the oddity, I was leaning towards reflection, but I'm not sure what the source would be. Of course there is the optical window of the camera, but my filter was about 4" away from the sensor (long nose piece extension). I am running dew heaters on the main scope, and it was a dry for Pennsylvania night. Only saw some dew on the power cable running in the grass when I went to tear everything down for the night.

I'm still learning the ropes with the CMOS camera. The previous CCD camera behaved a bit different.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics