•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron CEM60 on the Tri-Pier 360 - Center Bolt Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dodde

Dodde

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:21 AM

Hi,

iOptron claims the CEM60 center bolt fits the top plate of the Tri-Pier 360. To me it looks like the center bolt hole is much shallower on the 360 top plate than on the original tri-pier top plate and that the center post/bolt is manufactured to fit a deeper recessed mounting hole than the Tri-Pier 360 top plate provides. Is this an oversight on iOptrons behalf or does it actually properly work?

Please see the included image for reference.

I have no frickin clue why I cant link a simple jpg from imagebin to here so here you go ... https://imagebin.ca/v/5PBNPp2oDxI8

#2 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:39 AM

Looks to me that the top plate is not the right one for the CEM60.
Maybe there is a different plate/adapter that you are missing.
Looks totally different to what is on the US Ioptron site:
https://www.ioptron....duct-p/8037.htm

Edited by Hilbily, 08 June 2020 - 01:41 AM.

#3 Dodde

Dodde

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

The mount wont rest properly on the top plate as the flange of the centerbolt keeps it wiggling around half a centimeter above it. I have not seen any other top plate or center shim sold by iOptron to allow accomodation of the CEM60 on the Tri-Pier 360.

Illustrated in the linked image below is the center post mounted to the round center shim of the Tri-Pier 360 top plate. As clearly seen, it wont recess properly.

https://imagebin.ca/v/5Pgu08OA5MkM

#4 Hilbily

Hilbily

Mariner 2

• Loc: VA

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

One of the two pieces is not made to specification or it is an engineering/drafting/QC mistake.
5-10 minutes in a lathe to open up and deepen the counter bore in the round plate and/or trim off the threaded side of the brass piviot.
Whoever you bought it from should send you the correct parts or pay for the lathe time to fix it.

#5 Dodde

Dodde

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2020 - 01:37 AM

Ben exchanging a few emails with iOptron support and all I can say it s total confusion on their behalf. Support isvaguely suggesting there is a second revision of the Tri-Pier 360 top plate that they not yet have access to so they cant confirm either way which center post/stud/bolt works on the mount togehter with the CEM60.

#6 Dodde

Dodde

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:47 AM

Still no proper resolution offerd by iOptron support. After telling me to put a drill to the top plate or purchase a non existing "center stud with screw" in their webstore, they have stopped responding.

Edited by Dodde, 21 June 2020 - 02:48 AM.

#7 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:27 AM

Time to move on....

How about returning the 360 pier and getting a Tri-Pier? Lower cost, holds 100kg, less grief and hassle.

Then write a letter to iOptron telling them their support needs a "refresh"...lol.gif

Edited by Xeroid, 21 June 2020 - 10:29 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics