•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Rover Bino - Anyone Used?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 philinbris

philinbris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:24 AM

Hi all,

Here in Auz there are a couple online stores selling "Sky Rover" Binos.

See here:

http://www.sirius-op...AyABEgJOUvD_BwE

and here:

https://www.ebay.com...396540&_sacat=0

$270 AU works out to be about $190 US. So these are probably regarded as cheepies I guess.

Has anyone used these - are they on par with Celestron and other brand names?

Cheers

Phil

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

Same as Celestron, Orion, Etc.  Hit/miss on the Collimation but IME they work fine for eyepieces with Field Stop under 20mm..

• Kunama likes this

#3 philinbris

philinbris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:12 AM

Same as Celestron, Orion, Etc.  Hit/miss on the Collimation but IME they work fine for eyepieces with Field Stop under 20mm..

Thanks Mike.

I guess at $270 and given binos are a bit questionable for dim DSO, more suited to planets & moon then the pair of 16mm are a good fit. I have a pair of 10mm as well.

I plan to by from the local guy rather than eBay, so I am hoping he will look after me re collimation.

Cheers

#4 philinbris

philinbris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 03:31 AM

Oh well, I have one on the way. More money - where does it stop? lol.gif

I will be sure to report in when I have given it a good try out.

Cheers

#5 philinbris

philinbris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2020 - 01:24 AM

Guess what - usual eBay dramas.

The supplier of the Sky Rover came back saying he just discovered the ones they have in stock are not the Sky Rover but more like this one (link is not to same supplier):

https://www.ebay.com...527540&_sacat=0

This one comes with a couple of Barlow's which the other did not.

Anyway the supplier is going to check it out before he sends it and if I am not happy with it I can return it.

I'll write back here when I have tried it out.

Cheers

#6 philinbris

philinbris

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

Well I received the Bino as per eBay link in post #5 above and was pleasantly surprised to see that it not only came with two Barlows, but it also cam equipped with two eyepieces. Not sure what focal length they are. The binos are good sturdy construction. The eyepiece grips are those full ring grip types (no screw), so cannot really use eyepieces with those slots in them, they need to be flat for the bino to grip them well.

Anyways I took out the 12" newt and found I had to use the 1.85 Barlow with the Bino to achieve focus. Trained in on Jupiter and Saturn and I was very happy with the view - the two planets looked great.

Comparing to my 7-21 zoom, the immediate noticeable thing was the bino had a much blacker background looking at Jupiter, the zoom had a fairly grayish background ( it is a cheap zoom after all).

I did not notice any ghosting. Looking at stars they were the single "dots" you would expect. You could clearly see bands on Jupiter and the moons were very clear.

So for $270 Australian, I am very happy.

Cheers

Edited by philinbris, 19 June 2020 - 10:06 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics