•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moravian G3-16200 for photometry work

equipment ccd
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diezalaonce

diezalaonce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Dear all,

I have the chance to acquire a second-hand G3-16200 with an external filter wheel with 7 positions. I think it is the Mark I class 2 version. Although I like astrophotography I would like to use it for photometric work mostly.

So, my questions are: how is the camera behaviour in photometric work? It is linear enough to make good work for supernovae, comets, asteroids, exoplanets, etc photometry, of course being aware of its linear range?

I would like to find someone with this camera using it for this kind of things and get his/her impressions on the matter. I've done some research on the web with no results.

Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards,

felipe gómez from Spain

#2 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

Felipe,

If you have not yet tried photometry, I think you will like it. Your gateway would be the AAVSO Website where you will find things like our Photometry Guide (in Spanish!)

https://www.aavso.or...hotometry-guide

There is no reason to think that this camera cannot do good photometry. I suspect it is an ABG camera, so it might not have the sensitivity and well-depth of a NABG camera, but that is not a barrier. Many of us use ABG cameras. So long as you keep it within its linear range you can do good photometry. So you need to perform a linearity test and respect the limits.

Saludos,

Ed

ps. I teach CCD photometry for the AAVSO

• Miguelo, Crusty99 and diezalaonce like this

#3 diezalaonce

diezalaonce

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:45 AM

Thank you so much, Ed, for your advice.

Yes, I like photometry, I own a ST7XME and I've been doing photometry for years (comets and supernovae). Now I was looking for a bigger chip camera and, as you pointed, this camera has ABG so I was a bit scared. Even more when I haven't been able to find anyone doing photometry with this camera. That's the reason to ask.

And, of course, the first thing I'll do is that linearity test!

Saludos!

#4 gavinm

gavinm

Vanguard

• Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

It depends what you plan to do photometry of, but the ST7 is a much more sensitive chip which is important for weak targets like exoplanets (I used one).

Small size isn't an issue - I never found I lacked comparison stars with my ST7

#5 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

Gavin:

Much depends on what variables you are interested in and the characteristics of your optical train. For example, with my F4 SN the ST7/Me402 chip (awsome QE K0402) the FOV is good, but not so for my C11 edge/focal reducer. For the C11 I need a larger FOV for many variables, so  use a Moravian G2 1600. Felipe feels the need for more FOV.

But your point is well taken, the NABG configuration and high QE of the Kodak 0402 chip versus the price point (of a new 402me) makes for a very attractive photometry rig given you can obtain the FOV you need. Obviously it meets your exoplanet needs.

Ed

#6 gavinm

gavinm

Vanguard

• Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 14 June 2020 - 10:06 PM

Good point, Thanks Ed - I wasn't taking into consideration his optics

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, ccd

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics