•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bluetooth 4k camera, mobile App controlled, budget-friendly setup?

Celestron dslr imaging SCT optics imaging/sketching contest equipment DIY
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 R@nger

R@nger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

Hi everyone, rookie here. ;)

Does anybody know if a Bluetooth (untethered) 4k camera for astrophotography (battery-powered) w/ iPhone App interface exists, which will work with Fastar aperture setup?

My scope is a Celestron Celestar C8 (circa 2000) which is Fastar capable.

I crudely Photoshopped this to help some understand what I’m trying to do and if it's realistically feasible/budget-friendly.

I’m trying to figure out how to leverage the Fastar capabilities “without breaking the bank” e.g. I’d like to avoid buying a CCD-sensor camera/laptop/software, DSLR camera, Starizona HyperStar 8, etc. Is this possible without software on a Laptop?

Finally, does anyone have some experience on this FunStar (Revolution Imager) aperture adapter to make this happen with a 4k camera? https://www.revoluti...tar-sct-adapter

Fastar tech: https://www.celestro...star-technology

Thanks everyone, clear skies! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Fastar_v1.jpg

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:44 PM

No, they don't exist.

#3 R@nger

R@nger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

You mean they don't exist, yet? ;)

So no suggested alternative solutions, ideas, options, exploratory proposals... this is totally absolute?

Really...?

#4 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:00 PM

You mean they don't exist, yet? wink.gif

So no suggested alternative solutions, ideas, options, exploratory proposals... this is totally absolute?

Really...?

Astrophotographers are a small market and usually want more performance for the money, not necessarily maximum convenience.

Honestly if you can't be bothered to make the effort to plug in some cables and a laptop astrophotography probably isn't for you. Image processing and the time investment it takes to do right makes the hardware seem trivial by comparison. Ignoring that you are gonna need a better mount than your Celestar's fork, a focal reducer, guiding, etc. which will drive your total investment to at least around a thousand dollars before you even get the camera.

Edited by Augustus, 10 June 2020 - 08:02 PM.

#5 R@nger

R@nger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:28 PM

I guess I'm a "next-gen" astrophotographer who likes convenience. lol wink.gif

I'm trying to keep it simple e.g. avoid wiring in front of the aperture, buying a laptop, identify a small camera (there must be one that exists) that can do a good job...

I've worked as a designer/developer for 2 decades, so for me image processing is part of my trade i.e. I'd rather use Photoshop on a large screen in the comfort of home to edit my photos once they are captured.

Just looking for constructive input, not a "buzz kill" ... I'll wait for some more folks to chime in, I am sure others in our amazing community may have some suggestions, recommendations or new exploratory approaches. smile.gif

Edited by R@nger, 10 June 2020 - 09:43 PM.

#6 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:54 PM

Don't forget the guy with the turtle neck sweater fuzzing in that garage......

• R@nger likes this

#7 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 10 June 2020 - 09:55 PM

Why 4k????? It's a highly downsampled video format. You would also need to find a camera with a frame rate of 1 frame every 30" at bare minimum to use it for DSO AP.......one frame every 60-120" would be better......

What mount is the C8 on.....would be the next question....

Edited by 17.5Dob, 10 June 2020 - 10:01 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#8 R@nger

R@nger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:11 PM

I didn't mean to make the "4k" become some form of clickbait. ;)

I guess I'm trying to identify a small camera (like the Nikon one shown) that would work... not a traditional DSLR per se e.g. Canon seems to be the preferred brand from what I could tell.

My Celestron C8 mount is an equatorial wedge mount, some online scope specs are here: http://www.company7....ducts/sch6.html

#9 TxStars

TxStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:40 PM

Some of the new DSLR's and mirrorless cameras have bluetooth and wifi control and image transfer..

They are not "Small" but will do what you need them to do..

So you just need to have the battery charged up and you can go till its time to swap out the battery.

Edited by TxStars, 10 June 2020 - 10:42 PM.

#10 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:03 PM

Since we are discussing solutions other than DSLR and more EAA solutions, I'll move it.

• R@nger likes this

#11 Rickster

Rickster

Apollo

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:56 PM

If my memory serves me correctly, I saw just such a camera on AliExpress a month or two ago.  It had an antenna sticking out the back.  Never heard of anyone using it though.

#12 R@nger

R@nger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:30 PM

Hey Rickster. :) Someone else had posted this one on another post, but nobody wanted to risk trying it if I remember correctly... ;) https://www.aliexpre...2962849850.html

#13 TxStars

TxStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:22 PM

Well at that price point I would not expect much..

• Augustus likes this

#14 Rickster

Rickster

Apollo

• Loc: NC Kansas Bortle 3 SQM 21.8+

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:46 PM

Hey Rickster. smile.gif Someone else had posted this one on another post, but nobody wanted to risk trying it if I remember correctly... wink.gifhttps://www.aliexpre...2962849850.html

Well, someone has to be first.  The entry fee is only 50 bucks.   wink.gif

#15 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

Don't waste time and money.

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, dslr, imaging, SCT, optics, imaging/sketching contest, equipment, DIY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics