•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice for an Optica b/c reflector

beginner classic equipment tripod
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 strandoo

strandoo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2020 - 07:40 AM

Hi. New to the forum. I picked up this telescope from a garage sale sometime in the 90s when I lived in San Francisco. I had some fun with it but it’s been neglected for some time, so thought I’d learn more about it. As you can see from the photos, it’s an Optica b/c. I can’t find much about this brand/type except for what I’ve seen on this site (old, good quality optics, collectable).

I know it’s missing the counterweight and rod (it didn’t come with one) and I suspect there would have been an accessory tray; the way the legs bolt together looks dodgy.

Can anyone tell me anything else about it and where I might get those missing parts? I now live in the UK; I don’t know if that will make things more difficult or not. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• optica_plate.jpg
  • optica_bc.jpg
  • optica_mount-2.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#2 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:15 AM

You have a fine little scope.  Optica b/c imported these scopes in the mid-to-late 1970s.  I have the tabletop version of that scope.  Your scope has the clamshell that holds the tube, so you can rotate the scope for a comfortable viewing position.  Mine is bolted to the tube, so it cannot rotate.  

Finding those parts may be difficult, as it's a pretty rare scope.  Most any small counterweight could be adapted, but the shaft for the counterweight that screws into the mount must have matching threads.

Attached Thumbnails

• ln3-e (2).jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#3 GreyDay

GreyDay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

where I might get those missing parts? I now live in the UK; I don’t know if that will make things more difficult or not. Thanks.

Try Astroboot.co.uk they have loads of spares. just took a quick look and they do have a eyepiece tray £3.30 plus P&P

they probably have the required bolts and wingnuts too, search the site and you may find what you need :)

• Bomber Bob likes this

#4 strandoo

strandoo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:16 AM

Thanks CharlieB and GreyDay. Thanks esp for that Astroboot link; I'll check it out. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for this forum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, classic, equipment, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics