•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher Evostar 72 Refractor...help needed!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RJMAstronomy

RJMAstronomy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New England

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:23 AM

Hi everyone. I'm interested in purchasing the Sky-Watcher evostar 72 refractor, but I have a few questions that I hope everyone can help me with.

1. What is the recommended diagonal to use with this scope?
2. After I choose a diagonal, what lenses are recommended? I think lenses around 6mm and 35mm with wide angle capabilities would be good, but I'm open to any and all suggestions!
3. I was also looking to put a finder scope or guide scope on it. SW makes the 50mm evo guide scope, and im wondering if that would work well with this set up. I would probably start out using it with just 1.25 eye prices, then add a guide camera down the road. Would using 1.25 eye peices straight through work on this guide scope, or am I better off getting something different?

I'm open to recommendations and suggestions.

I will be mounting this on the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTI goto mount with the star adventurer eq wedge and counter weights.

I'll be using my DSLR with the mount separately from the telescope, but will eventually be looking to image through the scope too.

Thank you in advance for your help! It is much appreciated!

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:42 AM

A 2" diagonal is at the very very edge of being usable. The scope has little inward travel and I had 2.5mm skimmed off part of the diagonal to get a little more. In effect search out a low profile 2" - if there is such - or a 1.25".

Eyepiece's I use are the Paradigms and a 6mm. So 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 12mm, 25mm are the items I generally have.

The AZ GTi was not really intended for Eq operation, Skywatcher have started stating this. And you are thinking of 72ED, DSLR, Guide scope, counter weights. Lost on the reference to guide scope and eyepieces, a guide scope uses a camera.

I get concerned about the Az GTi. It came out as a nice small lightweight Alt/Az scope. The 72mm scopes was recommended, that went to 80mm and now I read peopel loading 100mm scopes on one. It is built as Alt/Az, but owing to SW adding an Eq operation people now expect it to be a full blown imaging mount - IT ISN'T.

You are thinking of guiding, which means long exposures and more weight.

Astronomers seem able to talk themselves into using something for a purpose that they are not really suited to. DSLR's are not AP cameras, the Az GTi is not an imaging mount, ED's are not apo's.

My suggestion: Save more $'s and get the WO ZS73.  I am somewhat unimpressed with the Skywatcher 72ED. For whatever reason it does not inspire confidence in use.

Also reduce your expectations of an Az GTi as an equitorial imaging mount.

#3 Topographic

Topographic

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:38 AM

I have managed some decent images with the 72ED but I also have a few build quality reservations but at the price it has served well. I use an OAG for guiding.

Excellent starter scope for imaging, but worth looking at something a little more expensive if you are thinking of keeping it long term.

#4 Saby

Saby

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:27 PM

My config seems working, had similar concerns though.

Lacerta 2’’ star diagonal

Baader Morpheus 4.5mm

Baader Hyperion 31mm and 17mm

It is a finder on its own with the 31mm Hyperion, do not really mount the finder even there is one.

Fits well with the AZ-4 on steel tripod, great set for my beginner needs.

Cheers

#5 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

The more recent ones are slightly shorter and more versatile for focusing

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics