•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I just purchased an APM LZOS 152mm refractor; what should I expect?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:38 AM

I’ve just purchased this refractor which will be ready in 2 weeks. I opted for a feather touch focuser. The objective is being shipped from Russia and testing indicates a 0.987 Strehl. My understanding however is that this is only part of the story. I’ll be predominantly imaging but I’m sure I’ll have a peep through it as well smile.gif

I looked at a Tec 140mm but I wasn’t keen on what appeared to be a 9 month wait. Plus this was the last example of this scope available for 6 months so I jumped.

To those that know about this scope, what should I expect?

Simon

Edited by SimonIRE, 19 June 2020 - 03:38 AM.

• RogerLaureys, John Huntley and Reid W like this

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:53 AM

What should you expect?

Something close to and indistinguishable from perfection.

If you take to where other people are then take a box of tissue, and make sure that people understand that drooling over it, or even close to it is considered justifiable homocide.

Last one I saw of LZOS the lens had its own interferogram test report. It was absolutely perfect. The person that got the lens/scope/report didn't know what it meant and asked if they should return it. People offered to buy it from him immediatly for the full price he had paid.

• RogerLaureys, Jeff B, Kunama and 2 others like this

#3 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:58 AM

Congratulations Simon,

I think it is safe to say that you can expect to have one of the finest refractors with simply superb optics in a beautiful optical tube assembly fitted with a glorious focuser.......  Enjoy 😊 

It is a big scope and really benefits from being installed on a sturdy mount/tripod combination....

Here is mine, yours will have a different logo on the dew shield...

Attached Thumbnails

• C04E29B8-AB72-433B-A0A8-A5525BCB3A49.jpeg
  • EB9258C9-BEEE-4F38-A890-1AACFC02648B.jpeg

• RogerLaureys, doctordub, ATM57 and 2 others like this

#4 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:03 AM

Getting excited. I did a lot of research but one can only read so much; I had no access to other owners to test one out so there was a leap of faith element to it. I was looking for a scope I’d keep forever. Hopefully it will live up to its reputation!

It’s going in my observatory on my 10 Micron. Fun awaits!

Edited by SimonIRE, 19 June 2020 - 04:05 AM.

• RogerLaureys, doctordub and Kunama like this

#5 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:09 AM

Getting excited. I did a lot of research but one can only read so much; I had no access to other owners to test one out so there was a leap of faith element to it. I was looking for a scope I’d keep forever. Hopefully it will live up to its reputation!

I’m sure you will be happy with it..... but just in case you don’t like it, feel free to ship it to Canberra, Australia, I’ll gladly use it to make another binoscope.....

• RogerLaureys, fate187 and SimonIRE like this

#6 RogerLaureys

RogerLaureys

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hasselt,Belgium

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:22 AM

Hello Simon,

Almost two weeks ago I also bought a APM LZOS 152 from Markus Ludes with 99,4 % Strehl. However, as I am not an imager,  I took the 3,7" APM focusser. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine. I think we both are in for an amazing observing experience ! I hesitated between the APM and a TOA 150. But the lower weight, price difference and the reputation and customer service of Markus Ludes made the difference. Can't wait to set it loose on Mars and the planets !

Waiting is hard !!!

• doctordub, Kunama, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#7 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:47 AM

"I just purchased an APM LZOS 152mm refractor; what should I expect?"......Seriously?????

You spent THAT kind of money on THAT scope, and DON'T know what to expect?????

You're kidding us, right?  You really didn't know if this would be any different than a 152 Celestron Achro?

#8 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:31 AM

I’ve just purchased this refractor which will be ready in 2 weeks. I opted for a feather touch focuser. The objective is being shipped from Russia and testing indicates a 0.987 Strehl. My understanding however is that this is only part of the story. I’ll be predominantly imaging but I’m sure I’ll have a peep through it as well smile.gif

I looked at a Tec 140mm but I wasn’t keen on what appeared to be a 9 month wait. Plus this was the last example of this scope available for 6 months so I jumped.

Simon

Congrats.  My scope buying days are slowing down, but if money and opportunity were to intersect, the TMB version of your scope would be an exception.  

Jmd

• SimonIRE likes this

#9 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:33 AM

Now that is an observatory!!   A worthy mount for that scope!

jmd 

• SimonIRE likes this

#10 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:56 AM

What should you expect?

Something close to and indistinguishable from perfection.

If you take to where other people are then take a box of tissue, and make sure that people understand that drooling over it, or even close to it is considered justifiable homocide.

Last one I saw of LZOS the lens had its own interferogram test report. It was absolutely perfect. The person that got the lens/scope/report didn't know what it meant and asked if they should return it. People offered to buy it from him immediatly for the full price he had paid.

Slightly over kill maybe on the homicide remarks 

#11 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:59 AM

I’ve heard please correct me if I’m wrong it’s impossible to get an 10.00 strehl Acuracy so a 9.87 most be exceptional 

#12 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

I have been eyeing a 6" LZOS in the recent weeks. Why? Because I have an LZOS123 f/6 objective, that I use exclusively for AP and it is really excellent. The other LZOS I have is the 130 f/9, which I use for visual only. Since I have two larger scopes I cannot justify (in any possible way - you hear that you devil on my shoulder...) another six inch

I have not looked through a 6" LZOS lens, but reading about it and considering the quality of my LZOS scopes, I think you made a very good choice and you will be pleased with its performance. Let that be AP or visually.

• RogerLaureys and Kunama like this

#13 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:35 AM

A hernia?
  • Tyson M, mikeDnight, Henricuda and 1 other like this

#14 John Turley

John Turley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sheffield, England

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:39 AM

I have been eyeing a 6" LZOS in the recent weeks. Why? Because I have an LZOS123 f/6 objective, that I use exclusively for AP and it is really excellent. The other LZOS I have is the 130 f/9, which I use for visual only. Since I have two larger scopes I cannot justify (in any possible way - you hear that you devil on my shoulder...) another six inch

I have not looked through a 6" LZOS lens, but reading about it and considering the quality of my LZOS scopes, I think you made a very good choice and you will be pleased with its performance. Let that be AP or visually.

Would be interesting to see how it compares with your TEC 140, and your CFF 185 scopes

John 

• SimonIRE likes this

#15 AdamJ

AdamJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

I would have asked that question before I purchased the scope?

#16 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:57 AM

Simon

I can certainly do a bunch of "+1's" to some of the postings above.  Mine was an excellent visual scope and the gent in the next town over that I sold it to, really likes it for imaging too.

The test certificate for my sample dated 2006, showed ~1/5 wave PTV, 1/36 wave RMS and .97 Strehl.  The DPAC images below, provides subjective proof to back those numbers up and the at focus image correlates very well to the contour plot provided on the LZOS certificate.  

Just a wonderful scope you will have.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• TMB 152 F8 DPAC Green Outside of Focus.jpg
  • TMB 152 F8 DPAC Blue Outside of Focus.jpg
  • TMB 152 F8 DPAC Red Outside of Focus.jpg
  • TMB 152 F8 DPAC Green At Focus.jpg

• ATM57, Bomber Bob and SimonIRE like this

#17 Max Lattanzi

Max Lattanzi

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

I’ve just purchased this refractor which will be ready in 2 weeks. (...) My understanding however is that this is only part of the story. I’ll be predominantly imaging but I’m sure I’ll haveu a peep through it as well smile.gif

(...) To those that know about this scope, what should I expect?

Simon

Simon, are you crazy...?!  Thanks God you asked this question to the Forum.

What should you expect...?! What should you expect...?!?!?!

I am telling you: by all means do not -- and I mean DO NOT -- get this scope close to you: that could provoke an endless series of unpleasant consequences on your entire life (too terrible to list them all here).

Please, please, stop the shipment.

Instead, do ask Markus to ship it directly to me, so that I can keep it at a safe distance from you and also do the need exorcisms to lessen its harmful power.

No need to pay me for this : it's indeed a gracious service I am glad to offer to a fellow astronomer.
I am so glad I can be of help that I am even ready to pay shipping and insurance.

Keep safe, man!

-- Max angel2.gif

• RogerLaureys, Jeff B, salico and 2 others like this

#18 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

Simon, are you crazy...?! Thanks God you asked this question to the Forum.
What should you expect...?! What should you expect...?!?!?!
I am telling you: by all means do not -- and I mean DO NOT -- get this scope close to you: that could provoke an endless series of unpleasant consequences on your entire life (too terrible to list them all here).

Please, please, stop the shipment.

Instead, do ask Markus to ship it directly to me, so that I can keep it at a safe distance from you and also do the need exorcisms to lessen its harmful power.

No need to pay me for this : it's indeed a gracious service I am glad to offer to a fellow astronomer.
I am so glad I can be of help that I am even ready to pay shipping and insurance.

Keep safe, man!
-- Max angel2.gif

Baaaaawhaaaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaa!

Ok- thanks; pass me your shipping details...

#19 Max Lattanzi

Max Lattanzi

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

Markus has them already  grin.gif

• SimonIRE likes this

#20 John Huntley

John Huntley

Mercury-Atlas

• ***--
  • Loc: SW England

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:56 AM

My TMB/LZOS 130mm F/9.2 is of 2006 vintage. It's probably the best scope that I have ever observed with. Your 152mm F/8 will be really superb, I'm sure laugh.gif 

If anything the tests that come with the scopes are a touch on the pessimistic side from independent tests of the optics that I have seen.

Congratulations !

• SimonIRE likes this

#21 BravoFoxtrot

BravoFoxtrot

Mariner 2

• Loc: Palmer Divide, Colorado

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

Congrats, Simon!  I hope the two weeks go by very quickly!  

• SimonIRE likes this

#22 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Apollo

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

Someone above said "perfection".

If your new scope is anything like the APM/TMB 152/1200 I had in the late oughts - then 'perfection' might be an understatement.

Make sure you have a mount that justifies your new purchase. Here is my kit from 2009 [ed: I just noticed you have a 10Micron - you are ahead of the curve and good for you!] 

APM-TMB 152 400px-2.JPG

Edited by MikiSJ, 19 June 2020 - 01:47 PM.

• SimonIRE likes this

#23 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:52 PM

Thanks All...this is most encouraging!

#24 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:53 PM

Someone above said "perfection".

If your new scope is anything like the APM/TMB 152/1200 I had in the late oughts - then 'perfection' might be an understatement.

Make sure you have a mount that justifies your new purchase. Here is my kit from 2009 [ed: I just noticed you have a 10Micron - you are ahead of the curve and good for you!]

APM-TMB 152 400px-2.JPG

Awesome looking set up!

#25 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

Simon

Surely, you jest.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics