•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Agema SD 150

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 20 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

Just Curious, has anyone received Agema SD 150? If the answer is YES is there any review on it?

Vahe

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

Few yrs old now.

#3 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:43 AM

Just Curious, has anyone received Agema SD 150? If the answer is YES is there any review on it?

Vahe

The  last update on my 150 from Lana was May 1st. Eduard was finishing the focusers on the 120's, all of them (120 and 150) go to the anodizer together. Undoubtedly the WuFlu shutdown impacted the anodizer too.

After the focusers are done, all that remains is assembly and shipping. 

"Any day now".

Eduard has done everything on the focusers short of mining the bauxite. Very time-consuming for an optician. I'm a bit surprised he did not opt for a third party solution on that, it must be a rather exceptional focuser ...

• Daniel Mounsey, eros312 and Tyson M like this

#4 balu01

balu01

Messenger

• Loc: Las Vegas NV

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:08 AM

I would really like to see these scopes happen , but I’d be surprised if they actually do. Also surprised that people are this patient with deposits laid out. 

• 3 i Guy likes this

#5 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

...they are availible from stock here in Germany... 130 and 150... 

#6 fmasa

fmasa

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

I contacted Lana in early June for a delivery date for SD 150 and he said that the current run would be able to deliver in September.

I’m interested in this telescope and would like to order it for next run if possible.

#7 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:10 PM

...they are availible from stock here in Germany... 130 and 150... 

Uh, from whom?  How about a link?

#8 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:07 PM

https://www.astrosho.../m,Agema-Optics

There was a review of the 130 in a German astronomy magazine too - proofed well - but they´re expensive! 

#9 ullomat

ullomat

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bavaria - Germany

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:35 AM

All infos are available in english, too:

• Bomber Bob likes this

#10 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:24 AM

There was a review of the 130 in a German astronomy magazine too - proofed well - but they´re expensive! 

Yes, very.  In the States here, it is $9200 USD for the 150mm and $13,000 from Astroshop , a considerable difference.

Jeff

#11 marcus_z

marcus_z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Germany

Posted 24 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

Yes, very.  In the States here, it is $9200 USD for the 150mm and $13,000 from Astroshop , a considerable difference.

Jeff

Prices in Germany typically include 19% VAT (16% in July - December 2020), which do not apply for buyers outside the EU.

• ullomat and leviathan like this

#12 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:46 AM

I was in for a 130 from Agema and had communication with Lana but decided it would turn into what it has here in the states anyways. Huge wait. Has anyone in the US received one of these? She told me April delivery on the 130 and I can see that didn’t happen. Glad I went with APM for my 130 LZOS. 

Edited by Blueox4, 25 June 2020 - 07:46 AM.

• ckwastro likes this

#13 Haydon

Haydon

Mariner 2

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

It does not seem that they have produced very many telescopes.  

#14 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

I was in for a 130 from Agema and had communication with Lana but decided it would turn into what it has here in the states anyways. Huge wait. Has anyone in the US received one of these? She told me April delivery on the 130 and I can see that didn’t happen. Glad I went with APM for my 130 LZOS. 

I was going to put a deposit down on a 130 as well last September, but when it came time I decided against it. A friend of mine was waiting for a 150, which was already six months past the original delivery date at the time, and I just had a bad feeling it would be a problem. Unfortunately he is still waiting for the scope so it’s now 15 months past the original delivery date. I think I dodged a bullet there, and am glad I went with my instincts.

No doubt they are beautiful scopes, and if they live up to the published specs, they will be one heck of a refractor. However that long a wait with money on the table is not something I’m willing to do. Hopefully they can get their production issues ironed out. 

Edited by ckwastro, 25 June 2020 - 03:45 PM.

• gnowellsct and leviathan like this

#15 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:22 PM

I was going to put a deposit down on a 130 as well last September, but when it came time I decided against it. A friend of mine was waiting for a 150, which was already six months past the original delivery date at the time, and I just had a bad feeling it would be a problem. Unfortunately he is still waiting for the scope so it’s now 15 months past the original delivery date. I think I dodged a bullet there, and am glad I went with my instincts.

No doubt they are beautiful scopes, and if they live up to the published specs, they will be one heck of a refractor. However that long a wait with money on the table is not something I’m willing to do. Hopefully they can get their production issues ironed out. 

After reading posts by the owner here on CN I would go with a CFF if I wanted a bespoke refractor.  Or TEC, or Tak.  

There was a guy in Ukraine who bought one and was in love with it and gave a glowing review and then last I heard he had sold it.  I don't know what that story was about.  Could be about the owner and not about the optic.  --GN

p.s. My CFF scope took about 6 months longer than originally stated.  It is very common for these bespoke refractor companies to run behind their actual orders--and it has happened with premier Newtonian mirror makers as well.  There is nothing unusual about delays from Agema, so far as the industry goes.   And if you're ordering an astro-physics a 6 month delay would qualify as light speed.  Six years is more usual.  GN 

Edited by gnowellsct, 25 June 2020 - 04:25 PM.

#16 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:38 AM

After reading posts by the owner here on CN I would go with a CFF if I wanted a bespoke refractor.  Or TEC, or Tak.  

There was a guy in Ukraine who bought one and was in love with it and gave a glowing review and then last I heard he had sold it.  I don't know what that story was about.  Could be about the owner and not about the optic.  --GN

p.s. My CFF scope took about 6 months longer than originally stated.  It is very common for these bespoke refractor companies to run behind their actual orders--and it has happened with premier Newtonian mirror makers as well.  There is nothing unusual about delays from Agema, so far as the industry goes.   And if you're ordering an astro-physics a 6 month delay would qualify as light speed.  Six years is more usual.  GN 

Yep, when I ordered my 14.5 Starmaster back in 2000 Rick said 6 months. It was seven months, and only due to the weather. He couldn’t get the scopes tested. I understand that, and it wasn’t an issue. The thing is I only had to put down enough to cover the mirror cost so Rick could buy it from Carl. Rick didn’t require the rest of the payment until he finished the scope and was getting ready to ship it. He did it right. 

I understand there are delays, but unfortunately it seems to be more the norm than the exception, which in and of itself should tell the manufacturers to be a little more conservative in their delivery estimates. Telling someone it will be nine months, and getting it to them in six or seven is much better than the reverse.

The differences with AP are 1) there is no money on the table while you wait, at least until that production run is underway, and 2) they seem to have their runs a lot more fine-tuned than most. A well-oiled machine if you will. 

A 50% deposit due at ordering, then still waiting for the scope almost two years later is unacceptable to me, and honestly a bad business practice. If I ran my business that way, I’d be out of business. Like I said I hope they get their production methods dialed in so it doesn’t happen to this extent in future runs. In the meantime, as you mentioned there are plenty of other high end options out there. 

#17 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:29 AM

Long wait times for premium optics in this industry are not uncommon, with Astro-Physics leading the pack.

The only custom optic I have ever purchased delivered on-schedule was the Lockwood 16" f/2.8 mirror. 

• ckwastro, Aleksandr Naumov and Tyson M like this

#18 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:34 PM

The new Stowaway was announced in April, 2018, and AP is into the third run now. Lots of reports from happy owners.

Clear skies, Alan

• peleuba and ckwastro like this

#19 Aleksandr Naumov

Aleksandr Naumov

Mariner 2

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:21 AM

Hey guys, it's me who bought Agema and I'm so happy with that.

Honestly, I don't post observation reports often.

• Jeff Morgan, R Botero and MGD like this

#20 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

The new Stowaway was announced in April, 2018, and AP is into the third run now. Lots of reports from happy owners.

Clear skies, Alan

I was thinking more of the time when people were on lists for ... ten or so years.

Glad to see that has improved after 35 years.

#21 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:27 AM

Update from Lana today. Good News and some implied Bad News.

The Good: Anodized parts for the 120's and 150's scheduled for pick-up Tuesday the 2nd. Assembly of finished product begins.

The Bad: Pretty soon the email will come asking me to cough up the balance on my SD-150 wink.gif

• 3 i Guy, plyscope, Jeff B and 3 others like this

#22 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

The Good: Anodized parts for the 120's and 150's scheduled for pick-up Tuesday the 2nd. Assembly of finished product begins.

The Bad: Pretty soon the email will come asking me to cough up the balance on my SD-150 wink.gif

Ah, not so bad really. 

You send out a piece of paper with a bunch of scribbling on it, or, a scant number of electrons, and, in return, you get a telescope (!)   What's not to like about that system !   

• Jeff Morgan, 3 i Guy and Astrojensen like this

#23 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

Sadly, there is a finite number of available electrons in my buried mayonnaise jar (er....bank account).

G

• ckwastro likes this

#24 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:26 AM

I think it is safe to speak on behalf of many here and say that I am excited to hear your thoughts and experiences with this scope Jeff!

We want details once available 4.gif

Cheers lol.gif

• SkyRanger likes this

#25 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:29 AM

But pictures first!

• Edrow10 and Paul Morow like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics