•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Agema SD 150

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 ris242

ris242

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

Update from Lana today. Good News and some implied Bad News.

The Good: Anodized parts for the 120's and 150's scheduled for pick-up Tuesday the 2nd. Assembly of finished product begins.

The Bad: Pretty soon the email will come asking me to cough up the balance on my SD-150 wink.gif

Tuesday the 2nd..............what month?

#27 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:29 PM

I understand there are delays, but unfortunately it seems to be more the norm than the exception, which in and of itself should tell the manufacturers to be a little more conservative in their delivery estimates. Telling someone it will be nine months, and getting it to them in six or seven is much better than the reverse.

I think some of these guys are looking at mortgage and car payments and college tuition for the kid and they tend to pencil in their calendars a little optimistically.  And of course if they have a delivery queue it means they have work in front of them which is reassuring.  When I was in the consultant biz we used to call it our "going out of business curve" the idea being you have the bookings and the work stretching out that you know will bring in checks and then after that it gets a bit hazy, people you're courting for contracts, work you might bid on if the project gets approved for some state project, that kind of thing.  And each month new projects move into sight as old projects are completed.  Or so you hope.

Going out of business curve of six months to a year is probably a good thing, not too frustrating for the customers and giving OEM some reassurance.  The wait times for Astro-physics are of an altogether different nature.  Suffice it to say they seem to sell everything they care to make.

Greg N

#28 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:05 AM

Ah, not so bad really. 

You send out a piece of paper with a bunch of scribbling on it, or, a scant number of electrons, and, in return, you get a telescope (!)   What's not to like about that system !   

Just a question of "how many extra days at work to get this item".

That question separates the wheat from the chaff pretty quickly.

Fortunately I do love my job, which makes that an easier question.

• Jeff B and Tyson M like this

#29 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:06 AM

Tuesday the 2nd..............what month?

lol.gif

I knew I should have asked her one more question ...

#30 ckwastro

ckwastro

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:21 AM

lol.gif  The next Tuesday that falls on the 2nd is Feb. 2021. Hopefully it was Thursday the 2nd, which would be July 2020. grin.gif

Edited by ckwastro, 30 June 2020 - 10:22 AM.

• Astrojensen and SkyRanger like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics