•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher ESPRIT 120ED Super APO

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#26 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

My 120 should be in sometime this week, looking forward to it!

The utility of 120mm native and reduced with the Apex-L is definitely what captured my eye on this scope.  By the time I looked at other scopes and added native flatteners and reducer/field flatteners the cost/value performance favored the Esprit.  APS-C is my sweet spot and it should be great with this scope.

• thesubwaypusher likes this

#27 paolop

paolop

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland, Oregon USA

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:13 PM

I am a newbie and have just few weeks ago gotten the 120ed! Really like it so far!

04be053f9943136f8469aacd93fdbfd5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Live_Steam_Mad, eros312, Jon_Doh and 5 others like this

#28 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

Is anyone using their Esprit 120 as a visual only scope. It weights more then my APM-152ED.

Are these scopes usable on an AVX mount for visual use?  Its not a very long scope, and weights like a C9.25" which rides nicely on my smaller AVX mount.

...Ralph

#29 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Florida Panhandle / South Georgia US

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:40 PM

As of today I am the happy owner of a Sky-Watcher Esprit 120mm ED APO Triplet OTA. It's going on a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount and I expect to have quite the introductory AP experience with it. Thanks to everyone that helped me make the decision to go with it. Today was unboxing/examination day and I can truthfully say I am incredibly impressed with it. :-)

Barry

• thesubwaypusher, telfish, Jon_Doh and 1 other like this

#30 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:49 PM

As of today I am the happy owner of a Sky-Watcher Esprit 120mm ED APO Triplet OTA. It's going on a Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount and I expect to have quite the introductory AP experience with it. Thanks to everyone that helped me make the decision to go with it. Today was unboxing/examination day and I can truthfully say I am incredibly impressed with it. :-)

Barry

Have fun with it, it's a great scope. I have mine on an Atlas/EQ6 and it works well.

• Barry A. Waters likes this

#31 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:58 PM

Barry, how long ago did you order the 120??  Still waiting on mine.  Got an email that they expect shipment in mid-Oct.  Not a happy camper here.

#32 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

Barry, how long ago did you order the 120??  Still waiting on mine.  Got an email that they expect shipment in mid-Oct.  Not a happy camper here.

Woodland Hills Camera & Telescope said they got 4 in on Friday the 28th of August, I noticed the "In Stock" indicator on Monday the 31st on the website, called to verify and immediately ordered. Got here in fine shape (from CA to FL) on Friday the 4th of September. Give them a call and ask for Curt as that's who got me setup. Best of luck!

Barry

Edited by Barry A. Waters, 06 September 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#33 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:47 AM

I got mine from Woodland hills as well. Only people with stock.

#34 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:49 AM

Super impressed with the scope. First light last night just aiming at stars between clouds to check everything was setup up. The focuser is amazing, little/no backlash, the build - it's a freaking tank and quality through everything is nice.  I went with the Apex-L reducer and ASI2600mc on this build and everything connected right up to an amazingly flat field with no aberrations to report.  Working out the balance/weight on my EQ6r to fix some trailing stars on some subs but otherwise super happy and impressed with this yard canon!

• telfish likes this

#35 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

Super impressed with the scope. First light last night just aiming at stars between clouds to check everything was setup up. The focuser is amazing, little/no backlash, the build - it's a freaking tank and quality through everything is nice.  I went with the Apex-L reducer and ASI2600mc on this build and everything connected right up to an amazingly flat field with no aberrations to report.  Working out the balance/weight on my EQ6r to fix some trailing stars on some subs but otherwise super happy and impressed with this yard canon!

I had an Apex L on order but it does not work with a FF sensor. Dean said they are working on one so hopefully that will happen.

• sn2006gy likes this

#36 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:10 PM

I had an Apex L on order but it does not work with a FF sensor. Dean said they are working on one so hopefully that will happen.

I feel that basic geometry will tell you that Apex never had a chance to cover full-frame.  When I looked at it, its output is M48, and full-frame sensor has a 43.3mm diagonal, giving it only 5mm, at most, for the light cone to shrink between the Apex output and the sensor.  With 58mm backfocus and f/4.55 (f/7 * 0.65), the 48mm (at best) cone shrinks to 35.2mm at the sensor.  This is even worse for an Esprit 100, as it is f/3.58, and therefore 48mm shrinks to 31.8mm at the sensor.  The Apex L should work fine at APS-C (28.3mm diagonal) and smaller sensors, but not full-frame.

For it to have a chance to cover full-frame sensors, the Apex L needs an exiting light cone of at least 56mm for an Esprit 120 and 60mm for an Esprit 100.  An M63 output would be good.

I have no idea why Starizona made the output so small, though larger output would probably need larger diameter (higher $$) lenses as well.

Edited by SilverLitz, 07 September 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#37 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

First light - just a couple of hours on Heart Nebula after tinkering around with backspacing.  Outer edge stars appear to need another .5 to 1mm i think but otherwise mostly great shape

Attached Thumbnails

• heart-basic-sm.jpg

• drprovi57, telfish, GooglyEyes and 4 others like this

#38 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

I feel that basic geometry will tell you that Apex never had a chance to cover full-frame.  When I looked at it, its output is M48, and full-frame sensor has a 43.3mm diagonal, giving it only 5mm, at most, for the light cone to shrink between the Apex output and the sensor.  With 58mm backfocus and f/4.55 (f/7 * 0.65), the 48mm (at best) cone shrinks to 35.2mm at the sensor.  This is even worse for an Esprit 100, as it is f/3.58, and therefore 48mm shrinks to 31.8mm at the sensor.  The Apex L should work fine at APS-C (28.3mm diagonal) and smaller sensors, but not full-frame.

For it to have a chance to cover full-frame sensors, the Apex L needs an exiting light cone of at least 56mm for an Esprit 120 and 60mm for an Esprit 100.  An M63 output would be good.

I have no idea why Starizona made the output so small, though larger output would probably need larger diameter (higher $$) lenses as well.

When I ordered it I only had a APSC camera. While waiting for them to be back in stock I bought the full frame camera  so cancelled the Apex.

#39 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:25 PM

First light - just a couple of hours on Heart Nebula after tinkering around with backspacing.  Outer edge stars appear to need another .5 to 1mm i think but otherwise mostly great shape

Took the same thing last night testing a 0.8 x reducer. will need more spacing.

#40 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:53 PM

I have very little ambition to do full frame after watching some friends go through adapter, focuser, tilt plate, filter wheel, spacing, tilt repair hell for weeks on end only to realize they still get clipped pixels on corners on most consumer gear and end up cropping edges anyway wink.gif  i'll just mosaic

Edited by sn2006gy, 07 September 2020 - 02:54 PM.

#41 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 07 September 2020 - 03:02 PM

I have very little ambition to do full frame after watching some friends go through adapter, focuser, tilt plate, filter wheel, spacing, tilt repair hell for weeks on end only to realize they still get clipped pixels on corners on most consumer gear and end up cropping edges anyway wink.gif  i'll just mosaic

Probably right. With the FF it's fine works great with no tilt or elongated stars in the corners. With a FR it needs some more spacing but it's equal all round each corner so I should be able to fix that. The 6200 can be used in APSC mode as well so if push comes to shove with the FR I can do that.

I am using M68 and M54 throughout so no vignetting.

Edited by telfish, 07 September 2020 - 03:05 PM.

#42 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

I'm getting acquainted with the 120 Esprit this week and have a few questions for owners of the scope more experienced with it than I. Here we go:

1) Does the included Field Flattener have any FL reduction properties (if so what?) or is it simply just a flattener?

2) What is the bolt size/thread data for the the tube ring's pre-drilled holes? I want to form a metal strap handle to help lift/hold the scope when mounting it to the tripod and would use a couple of the holes on the top of the rings to affix it to. They look like M6 Allen Head?

3) What is the bolt size/thread data for the two empty threaded holes either side of the center hole/line at each end of the anodized green mounting plate (4 holes total)? I want to add some 'anti-launch' blocks to both underside ends of the plate so the tube can't slide off the EQ6-R Pro it's on and would use these 4 holes to do so.

4) The nylon-tipped counterweight screws seem to allow for easy movement of the counterweights (especially in rotation) even when they seem super tight on the counterweight rod. What is up with that?

5) As I saw on several videos before buying the scope (and read about in a few older posts here on CN) my Esprit has a 'wonky' dew shield. It's stable when fully retracted but wonky in any other position. I would only be interested in the fully extended position anyway. It doesn't seem to droop enough to cause seeing problems but I have 'calibrated eyeballs' and am a Professional Picture Straightener. I cant believe Sky-Watcher didn't get this right. Has anyone come up with an easy/brilliant fix that doesn't include ignoring it or the use of duct tape? The two (just two?) nylon-tipped set screws it uses seem to contribute here as well.

Everything else I'm seeing looks absolutely fantastic (no first light yet though), especially with the EQ6-R mount. Very happy so far!

Thanks for any input anyone can provide!

Barry  

• Live_Steam_Mad likes this

#43 khursh

khursh

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:48 PM

1) The flattener is a flattener and not a reducer.

5) still operating in wonky-mode

• Live_Steam_Mad and Barry A. Waters like this

#44 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

Flattener only, e.g. ~1.0x.

I assume the ring holes are the normal 1/4"-20 (they are on my Esprit 100 rings).

#45 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

I cant believe Sky-Watcher didn't get this right. Has anyone come up with an easy/brilliant fix that doesn't include ignoring it or the use of duct tape? The two (just two?) nylon-tipped set screws it uses seem to contribute here as well.

Everything else I'm seeing looks absolutely fantastic (no first light yet though), especially with the EQ6-R mount. Very happy so far!

T

Barry  

They have the rep as the mainland scope exporter that gets most things right.  But I keep reading unusual (for them) reports about things not being so right.

Greg N

#46 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

Smart

• sn2006gy likes this

#47 John Turley

John Turley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sheffield, England

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:13 PM

I cant believe Sky-Watcher didn't get this right. Has anyone come up with an easy/brilliant fix that doesn't include ignoring it or the use of duct tape? The two (just two?) nylon-tipped set screws it uses seem to contribute here as well.

I have this problem with my Esprit 150.

I can't understand why there aren't three screws, if there were three then it would be possible to hold the extended dew shield in a straight position.

john 

Edited by John Turley, 09 September 2020 - 06:14 PM.

#48 Craig_

Craig_

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:02 PM

I have a Esprit 120 on order and expecting delivery next month :) A few questions...

1) The Losmandy plate that ships with it - are recent copies coming with the black or green plate? I have seen images on the web of both but not sure what the latest ones ship with (or if there's even a difference aside from colour?) I found the specs for the green one, but not the black one.

2) Is the stock plate that comes with it 'fit for purpose' or should it be replaced? 

3) I assume I would have no trouble mounting a Vixen-type bar to the top of the rings (onto which other accessories will be mounted, eg guide scope?) 

4) Can anyone confirm the appropriate size dew strap for this scope?

#49 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:36 AM

I have a Esprit 120 on order and expecting delivery next month smile.gif A few questions...

1) The Losmandy plate that ships with it - are recent copies coming with the black or green plate? I have seen images on the web of both but not sure what the latest ones ship with (or if there's even a difference aside from colour?) I found the specs for the green one, but not the black one.

2) Is the stock plate that comes with it 'fit for purpose' or should it be replaced? 

3) I assume I would have no trouble mounting a Vixen-type bar to the top of the rings (onto which other accessories will be mounted, eg guide scope?) 

4) Can anyone confirm the appropriate size dew strap for this scope?

1. I went with a beefier 14" losmandy

2. see #1 - its a chonky scope, i wanted beefy losmandy that was longer

3. I have a vixen bar on order to go on top of mine. Scope rings use 1/4-20 bolts (camera bolts)

4. I used an 8" dew strap. (dew-not)

Edited by sn2006gy, 10 September 2020 - 08:38 AM.

#50 Craig_

Craig_

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:52 PM

1. I went with a beefier 14" losmandy

2. see #1 - its a chonky scope, i wanted beefy losmandy that was longer

3. I have a vixen bar on order to go on top of mine. Scope rings use 1/4-20 bolts (camera bolts)

4. I used an 8" dew strap. (dew-not)

Thanks for the info. I guess with respect to the Losmandy it comes with, I am not so much concerned about the length (although I say that before receiving the scope) but just wanted to check the quality wasn't subpar or anything that would give rise to needing to replace it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics