•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher ESPRIT 120ED Super APO

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:55 PM

Apologizes.  I realized later that I was thinking of the flattener that comes with the scope.  Shouldn't be commenting while watching football!!!  :-)

#77 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Florida Panhandle / South Georgia US

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:50 PM

Got the 'Anti-Launch' blocks drilled, semi-cleaned up, mounted and I am very pleased with them. That 1/2" Mild Steel Square Tubing is the Bomb. Versatile, fairly lightweight, easy to work and STRONG. Using two (Front & Rear) prevents you from sliding the Scope into the saddle for mounting but I prefer having the saddle horizontal and 'hooking' it in anyway and the new handle makes that VERY easy to do. I need to finish them (and the handle) with paint (Neon Lime Green?) and perhaps attach a thin self-adhesive rubber strip to the blocks interior faces so if they ever come in contact with the saddle no marring will occur.

On another front, I ordered a Sky-Watcher Evoguide 50 ED APO to use as a guide scope OTA. I will probably cut a mounting plate for that (aluminum this time) that spans the top of the rings. That little Scope seems more than adequate for guiding needs and some folks are even doing AP with it alone!?!? It sounds strange to me (but I'm new at this) BUT I have seen some images and they ARE impressive. Sky-Watcher is even coming out with a Field Flattener for it so there must be a demand. Go figure... :-)

Barry      

Attached Thumbnails

• Sky-Watcher_120mm_Esprit_ED_APO 052_01.JPG
  • Sky-Watcher_120mm_Esprit_ED_APO 056_01.JPG

#78 njrusty

njrusty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

Fantastic job Barry.  You should sell those!

#79 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

Some recent work with mine:

California Nebula NGC 1499

get.jpg?insecure

PacMan NGC 281

get.jpg?insecure

WOW - Those are freaking Outstanding! Looking like I made the RIGHT choice on an OTA! :-)

Barry

#80 Barry A. Waters

Barry A. Waters

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:44 PM

Fantastic job Barry.  You should sell those!

Ha Ha - Thanks for the compliment but I'll leave THAT up to someone else! Hard to believe that basic stuff like this (a decent handle & some 'stop blocks') don't come stock with many high-price scopes but that indeed seems to be the case. I would think the need for items such as these is always there but I guess there are too many possible configurations for anyone other that a 'custom manufacturer' to make a go of it and that is good as there are some fine ones out there. Here's to them! :-)

Barry   

Edited by Barry A. Waters, 14 October 2020 - 08:47 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics