•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 120 SD Binoscope Finder Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 photobookie

photobookie

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

I have the standard red dot finder that APM sells for its binoscopes. However this finder is not ideal as it is difficult for a lot of people to "find" the red dot. The finder is so short, you have to look in between the eyepieces to see it and that's not so easy to do for casual viewers.

I'm not keen on mounting a finder on the side of one of the tubes, so I'm looking for a finder that would elevate the red dot above the eyepieces. 

A much taller base (stalk) would be ideal if I could find one. No luck yet. 

The Rigel is not so great either as it doesn't mount easily to the handle. Also, I'm not so sure it's tall enough. My eyepieces sit pretty high up there! 

I have found this interesting finder, but don't see an easy way to mount it. It's 10" tall! Maybe a little clunky for my beautiful APM binoscope.

http://www.dobmod.co...-successor.html

Any other ideas? What do owners of this series of APM binoscopes like to use as a finder that's different from the stock finder? 

Thanks!

Rick

#2 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:23 PM

Cool Quinsight.

I have had trouble finding the crosshairs on the rigel, which will probably apply to the quinsight  also, and sometimes even on a standard red dot finder.

You are not alone. I feel like an idiot when I can't find the projection, but I switch between three different scopes so I can't get the eye position correct right off the bat.

For the backup to my green laser pointer, I picked up one of the tube style pistol red/green red dot finders and the body of the finder helps me find the dot every time.

I did partially disassembedl it to remove the rear window, and also to remove the partial aluminizing on the front window to minimize light loss. Toothpaste will do it, but I just found my ferric chloride circuit board etching solution which is supposed to take it right off. It can be bought cheaply online in powder form.

Like the green laser pointer, I only use pistol style units that have micro adjusters. I have not had any accurate pointing problems since switching over to the micro adjuster style.

I use a pistol laser green laser pointer most of the time. it's accurate enough to hit planets on the first try with a C11, the micro adjusters making all the difference. Sweet.

Awesome on big angled binos,  I lucked into this when first using my 10 by 80 flak binos. Just one of many many people to reinvent this particular wheel.

Mounting a Weaver-Picatinny rail to the top of the binos lets you use a picatinny riser to get the sight up to where you can use it.

It's been awhile since I added one to my APM 100 and it's buried in the packing material pending my move, so I can't take a look and exactly how I did it.

I think I mounted a vixen finder shoe to the binoculars and attached a vixen base to picatinny top riser, now that I think about it. I used existing holes.

I remember the shoe biting into my fingers when I carried it.

In that case I would convert it to a straight picatinny rail, only a couple of dollars and easily redrilled if necessary, and they come in so many varieties it probably won't be necessary. 

More than one way to solve this particular problem.

#3 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

These finders are usually a .22rifle/air rifle finder on a tiny 11mm minidovetail, or a larger Weaver/picatinny rifle dovetail.

Here is a 2"  riser.

https://smile.amazon... riser 2&sr=8-3

And the style of red/green dot I mentioned

https://smile.amazon...=rdd dot&sr=8-7

Just as a random example.

The ladder listing actually includes a built-in riser. Also, the picture lets you see the shape of the diamond edged dovetail. Just go to Wikipedia and look up picatinny rail for dimensions.

I was able to unscrew front and rear windows with a good strap wrench on mine, they put some kind of sealer on the threads. Not needed on our recoilless telescopes and binoculars.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics