•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New scope for the Mars opposition.

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

I dont USE EPs!

Arnr

Then it's reflector all the way. It makes planetary imaging/video observing SO much easier than with a refractor. For imaging, you need APERTURE (of sufficient quality!), more than anything else, really.  

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Bomber Bob and ArneN like this

#77 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:48 AM

The 10" can resolve to 0.45 arcsec.  The 152 to 0.76 arcsec.  Hmmm...wonder why so many amateurs seem to have consistent sub-arcsec seeing when the professional observatories have such a hard time finding that idea.gif

That is because amateurs and professionals define seeing in completely different ways. When amateurs can resolve a 0.5" double during moments of good seeing, they call the seeing 0.5", but such moments can happen on almost any night, if you wait long enough. When professionals call the seeing 0.5", then they mean that the diameter of the speckle seeing disk IN THE WORST MOMENTS are no larger than 0.5"! 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

• Rollo, payner, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#78 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:08 PM

I must be a professional then because when fine detail pops out on a planet for one half a second every 10 to 20 minutes I don't consider it a night of good seeing. More of a cosmic tease. 

#79 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for that advice. My current laptop is an old HP, have been thinking of an upgrade.

Upgrades! That is all this hobby is about......

Arne

IF you use a Bluetooth connection from your tablet or laptop to your imager, you have some mobility, too.  Whatever device you choose, make its video specs a priority -- you'll see that it's worth it.

• ArneN likes this

#80 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

That is because amateurs and professionals define seeing in completely different ways. When amateurs can resolve a 0.5" double during moments of good seeing, they call the seeing 0.5", but such moments can happen on almost any night, if you wait long enough. When professionals call the seeing 0.5", then they mean that the diameter of the speckle seeing disk IN THE WORST MOMENTS are no larger than 0.5"! 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

Thank you.  Of course I asked the question to be facetious.  I know many purport the ridiculous about their seeing, like it is .5" most all the time lol.gif  Crazy.   Not that I ever "measure" the to assess whatever arsec it is, but if I did it would have to at that level the vast majority of the time for me to say the figure.  Those imaginative "moments" mean little IMO.  If I depended on that for fulfillment in an observing endeavor would have abandoned the hobby a loooong time ago.

• Rollo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics