•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One Minute Doubles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 river-z

river-z

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:21 AM

It's "June Gloom" season here in LA, when morning clouds give way to partly sunny afternoons, followed by clear evenings.  And then at some point in the night the clouds return.  Lately they have been returning around 11pm, earlier than I'd like but happily the seeing has been pretty good, and that got me thinking about close double stars.  On Friday I made a list of about a dozen 1" doubles and in the 60-90 minute window I've been getting to observe I tracked a few of these down.  I'm not quite done with my list yet, but since it's supposed to be pretty cloudy the next few days I thought I'd do a report and then add to the thread once I wrapped it up.  I've been using the 12" Meade LightBridge truss dob I bought used a few weeks ago.  

My strategy for is simple:  

First the finderscope.  Then 64x with a 27mm Panoptic.  Then the Zoom for framing.  Then 350x in the Nagler.

First up: Draco, and couple of vertical pairs.

STF 2054 (6.2, 7.1) // 1.0" @ 352 ... I could tell it was a double but it looked kind of smushed, so I'm going to return to it later this week when the clouds clear.  I'd like to get a clean split.

STF 2118 (7.1, 7.3) // 1.1" @ 337 ... this one split cleanly 

Virgo

STF 1734 (6.8, 7.3) // 1.1" @ 173 

BU 114 (8.1, 8.2) // 1.3" @ 173

Lyra

STF 2465 (9, 10.4) // 1.2" @ 249 ... like a pair of headlights

STF 2356 (8.8, 9.2) // 1.0" @ 63 

Bootes ... clouds moving through Lyra bumped me over to the other part of the sky 

STT 288 (6.9, 7.6) // 0.96" @ 156

Cygnus ... clearing clouds gave me a window here

​STT 410 (6.7, 6.8) // 0.9 @ 3

So that's 8 down and 4 more to go.  It's supposed to be clear again over the weekend so hopefully I get a few more windows to work and see if I can't split a few more of these.   

• payner, gfeulner, R Botero and 6 others like this

#2 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:57 AM

Excellent tight pairs! I like you, enjoy speed dating my doubles :waytogo:
Roberto
  • flt158 and river-z like this

#3 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:44 AM

Great project and I too enjoy tight doubles the most. Suppose it is the challenge.

#4 rugby

rugby

Mariner 2

• Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:18 AM

River-z   Great job.   For your scope, eyes and seeing conditions what pair or pairs would you consider the ultimate challenge. Also, how did you come up with your list?

#5 river-z

river-z

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

River-z   Great job.   For your scope, eyes and seeing conditions what pair or pairs would you consider the ultimate challenge. Also, how did you come up with your list?

Thanks.  This was the first time I tried an observing list like this.  Usually I read about what others on the forum have found and find those.  These lists are typically by constellation.  Because of the weather pattern I knew the seeing was going to be pretty good so I decided to go tight.

I would say that I could see half the doubles on this list as clearly separate pinpricks.  A few were obvious doubles but not perfectly split, for whatever reason.  Sometimes the clouds or seeing conditions were messing with the clarity.  I usually watch the double pass all the way across my eyepiece several times and I can watch the seeing change as the stars get sharper or blurrier. 

I looked at all these at 350x.  Over the weekend I ordered a good barlow so that I can try at higher power (for my 7mm: 500x, for my 5mm: 700x).  Jon Isaacs, who lives in along the Pacific coast a few hours south of me in San Diego, reports on CN that he uses those kind of magnitudes when the seeing is exceptional, so I'm going to try it.  I don't really know what the ultimate challenge would be for my equipment but I'd like to figure out what it would be.

The best resource is https://www.stelledoppie.it 

Once you register you can use the search function in all sorts of interesting ways.

• R Botero and flt158 like this

#6 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:49 PM

Amazing observing report from you, River-z. waytogo.gif

That 12" Light Bridge is going to be a real problem solver for many tight doubles for you in the future. 

I'm sorry to say I have never had a go at any of these extremely tight doubles - not even the ones in Lyra. 

Stelle Doppie is an invaluable website for all double star observers. 

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

• 7Soeurs and river-z like this

#7 river-z

river-z

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:23 PM

Amazing observing report from you, River-z. waytogo.gif

I'm sorry to say I have never had a go at any of these extremely tight doubles - not even the ones in Lyra. 

Thanks, Aubrey.

Most of these were relatively easy to find so you might want to try a quick look at a few.  wink.gif

I suggest STF 2118.

• flt158 likes this

#8 nerich

nerich

Viking 1

• Loc: Greensboro, NC

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:44 AM

Thanks friend. I've added these to my list. Excited to see what I can get out of them. Thanks for sharing!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics