•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi TSA120 - Backend Plumbing

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:12 PM

I had my TSA120 for a 6 night astronomy trip last week.  It was the first multi-night observing session that I've had with the telescope.  Two things became immediately apparent:  (1) The optics are stunningly good and (2) most of my eyepieces did not come to focus,natively, with the FeatherTouch focuser.  I needed more out focus.  In other words the focuser needed to be racked all the way out and the eyepiece pulled out a little for it to focus.  I was not using any of the Takahashi extension tubes that came with the telescope.

I configured the focuser with A-P end cap and then threaded on the A-P 3 knob compression ring adapter.

I can change this out to the Takahashi endcap and then thread in the included TAK extension tube and 2" eyepiece adpater for the diagonal that came with the scope.  But this uses a set screw to clamp the diagonal.  I want compression ring or click lock.  

Help me reconfigure the back-end plumbing so it will come to focus.  I will thread the TAK extension tube on.  But what can I thread onto the TAK extension tube to give me compression fittings?  Does TAK make a compression fitted eyepiece/diagonal holder? 

Below is a photo of the scope as I configured it on my trip.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• 003 (Medium).JPG

• paul, denis0007dl and mtminnesota like this

#2 Star_Shooter

Star_Shooter

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

A binoviewer will take care of everything, just a thought.

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

Try one of these from Astro-Physics. They offer extension tubes in 1.75 and 3.6" lengths.

HERE is a link.

The Tak TSA 120 in normal configuration includes one.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0073 2.jpg

#4 M44

M44

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

I want compression ring or click lock.  

Help me reconfigure the back-end plumbing so it will come to focus.  I will thread the TAK extension tube on.  But what can I thread onto the TAK extension tube to give me compression fittings?  Does TAK make a compression fitted eyepiece/diagonal holder? 

You can use Astro-Physics 2" extension which has compression ring. 

With my TOA 130(2.7" focuser) , Both Tak 2.7" to 2" adapter and 2" extension don't come with compression ring. 

For Binoview, I used Baader/Takahashi click lock and for Mono view, I use AP extension, but Tak 2" extension is longer.

#5 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:23 PM

You could get a Baader ClickLock Extension.. I think they make a few different sizes. 

https://agenaastro.c...clsc-29562.html

Also, the ClickLock mechanism that threads onto my 3" Feather Touch focuser [SVA130T] adds some distance to the light path. Some of my eyepieces won't reach focus bc they can't be racked in close enough with the ClickLock in place. 

Edited by rkelley8493, 23 June 2020 - 10:28 PM.

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:26 PM

TNR sold a compression ring visual back to me for my TOA-130. It might work for you. Contact them.

Thank you.

#7 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

I  may be a little bit overboard, but consider having a tube extension made .  An aluminum tubing cut to the length that would put your focuser position at about 1/3 extended at focus. It appears that it would need a female thread to match the tube and a Male thread to fit the current back end.  A fairly simple lathe project. Square the inside of the bottoming female end to keep the tube extension in columation. It could be considered a tube extender and a binoviewer tube shortener when not in use. 

Edited by drd715, 23 June 2020 - 02:54 PM.

#8 marcus_z

marcus_z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Germany

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:58 PM

There is the Baader M72 Clicklock eyepiece holder, which works fine for me with almost all accessories on my TSA-120N. Another option you might consider is a 3" feather touch riser.

#9 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:43 PM

There is the Baader M72 Clicklock eyepiece holder, which works fine for me with almost all accessories on my TSA-120N. Another option you might consider is a 3" feather touch riser.

Yes - I did purchase the FT Riser which does address the issue (see photo of it installed below).  I ordered it while I was away on the trip and it was waiting for me when I returned.  Just installed it last night.  But, not sure I like it as it adds some weight - more then I thought it would.  I may prefer threading on the TAK extension tube and then threading on some type of compression ring adapter.  Its this option I am looking for feedback on - what do folks use for visual if wanting compression fittings to hold the diagonal?  The stock extension tubes from TAK are set screw.

Attached Thumbnails

• TSA120 VB1.jpg

Edited by peleuba, 23 June 2020 - 07:24 PM.

#10 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:45 PM

TNR sold a compression ring visual back to me for my TOA-130. It might work for you. Contact them.

Thank you.

Thanks.  I will.  

***EDIT***  Just spoke to Darren at TNR - these are not available any longer.  They were not a Takahashi part, but rather, were machined by someone locally to TNR.

Edited by peleuba, 23 June 2020 - 03:54 PM.

#11 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:01 PM

Try one of these from Astro-Physics. They offer extension tubes in 1.75 and 3.6" lengths.

HERE is a link.

The Tak TSA 120 in normal configuration includes one.

Bob

Thanks Bob.  My TSA120 came with an extention tube and the set screw diagonal holder.  Is this what you are using?

#12 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:24 PM

just fit this into the current AP visual back. You can even replace the AP thumbscrews with grub screws for a more streamlined look.....

https://agenaastro.c...clsc-29562.html

Edited by Kunama, 23 June 2020 - 05:42 PM.

• eros312 likes this

#13 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

https://agenaastro.c...lsc-29562.html 

just fit this into the current AP visual back. You can even replace the AP thumbscrews with grub screws for a more streamlined look.....

Matt!   Thanks!   The link is not working for me...

#14 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:32 PM

Thanks. I will.

***EDIT*** Just spoke to Darren at TNR - these are not available any longer. They were not a Takahashi part, but rather, were machined by someone locally to TNR.

Not available?? Oh, that is bad news. The one I had was exquisitely machined.

Edited by Heywood, 23 June 2020 - 04:33 PM.

#15 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:44 PM

Matt!   Thanks!   The link is not working for me...

Fixed it, also just saw that rkelley posted the same Baader part before me...

using that adapter will allow monoviewing with all your eyepieces, removing it should allow binoviewer use.

Edited by Kunama, 23 June 2020 - 05:45 PM.

• peleuba and rkelley8493 like this

#16 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

Fixed it, also just saw that rkelley posted the same Baader part before me...

using that adapter will allow monoviewing with all your eyepieces, removing it should allow binoviewer use.

Got it.  Thanks!

#17 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:27 AM

Paul,

I am late to your party, but I have another solution to your problem.  It's expensive, but solid and it works great.  Plus, it doesn't look like an afterthought on your beautiful new TSA.

Order an Astro-Physics threaded end cap from Starlight for the back end of your focuser.  Then you could use one or more A-P extensions along with an A-P visual back.  The A-P threaded spacers come in lengths from 0.6" to 2.55" and you can stack them as needed.

Sure, it's more expensive, but it's also solid and works great.  I used this setup on my old TMB 130SS many years ago (with a 3.5" end cap).  I preferred the A-P visual back with the three larger thumb screws to a ClickLock.  They were easier for me to use with my arthritis, plus my ClickLocks had a tendency to hang up and jam every once in a while. 

Cheers,

Ron

FT_Extention_TMB.JPG

• ryderc1, Heywood and mtminnesota like this

#18 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

Order an Astro-Physics threaded end cap from Starlight for the back end of your focuser.  Then you could use one or more A-P extensions along with an A-P visual back.  The A-P threaded spacers come in lengths from 0.6" to 2.55" and you can stack them as needed.

Ron,

Thanks!  I have the Starlight  A-P threaded endcap as I currently use the 3-screw A-P visual back - see my photo a few posts up.  The focuser/scope came with the Starlight Takahashi threaded end cap, but i quickly ordered the A-P threaded endcap so I could use my A-P visual back.

I am on the A-P website now...  

Thanks.   

Edited by peleuba, 24 June 2020 - 09:03 AM.

#19 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:30 AM

Thanks Bob.  My TSA120 came with an extention tube and the set screw diagonal holder.  Is this what you are using?

Yes. Mine has 2 set screws and the metal band compression ring. 

Bob

#20 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

Ron,

Thanks!  I have the Starlight  A-P threaded endcap as I currently use the 3-screw A-P visual back - see my photo a few posts up.  The focuser/scope came with the Starlight Takahashi threaded end cap, but i quickly ordered the A-P threaded endcap so I could use my A-P visual back.

I am on the A-P website now...  

Thanks.   

Awesome!  I did not notice.  foreheadslap.gif  I guess that shows how good those parts match up.  lol.gif 

Now simply pick the length(s) you want to use and enjoy!

Ron

#21 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

Awesome!  I did not notice.  foreheadslap.gif  I guess that shows how good those parts match up.  lol.gif

Now simply pick the length(s) you want to use and enjoy!

Every refractor I have, I try to configure to accept A-P accessories.  This one was not different - its one of the reasons I went with the FeatherTouch focuser which as you pointed out allows one to swap out end-caps to configure it how you want.

I really appreciate you pointing me toward the threaded A-P extension tubes.  bow.gif     As a visual-only person, I never paid much attention to the threaded extension tubes for the different focus requirements of different cameras.  I purchased 5 different extensions to mix/match to suit.  

The real solution is for TAK to make the tube longer and make compression fittings for the 2" eyepiece/diagonal holders.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#22 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:01 PM

Every refractor I have, I try to configure to accept A-P accessories.  This one was not different - its one of the reasons I went with the FeatherTouch focuser which as you pointed out allows one to swap out end-caps to configure it how you want.

I really appreciate you pointing me toward the threaded A-P extension tubes.  bow.gif     As a visual-only person, I never paid much attention to the threaded extension tubes for the different focus requirements of different cameras.  I purchased 5 different extensions to mix/match to suit.  

The real solution is for TAK to make the tube longer and make compression fittings for the 2" eyepiece/diagonal holders.

Sounds good!  I'm glad I could point you in that direction.  I also use the thin A-P CCD spacers with my Leica zoom eyepiece to adjust the Barlow factor with the Baader VIP Barlow.  It's amazing what you can find with a bit of scrounging. cool.gif 

Tak does make a 2-inch visual back with compression fittings, but they seem to be hard to find.  I have one here at home, but everytime I try to order another, it shows up as a single set screw VB.  Apparently, they use the same part number for these things and you cannot be sure unless you see it beforehand.  With luck, I'll be able to go to NEAF next year and can sort through some parts bins.

Cheers,

Ron

• peleuba and Defenderslideguitar like this

#23 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:45 AM

Tak does make a 2-inch visual back with compression fittings, but they seem to be hard to find.  

I appreciate all the help.

Darren at TNR told me they (TAK) did not make a two inch compression fitted visual back.  The 2 inch brass compression fitting visual back that they (TNR and other astro-retailers) sold was machined by a local machinist and was quite expensive.  Its not a stock Takahashi part but was available for several years.  My old Sky90-II had a couple of them.

Darren was pushing me toward the Baader click-lock, which would have worked.  I use (and like) the Baader click-lock on my CPC1100, but prefer the A-P three screw visual back on my refractors.

What TAK needs to do for the U.S. market is include two extensions tubes.  The first would be a single 2½ inch extension tube that threads into the focuser on one side and has brass compression ring on the other allowing guys like me to use the scope visually with a single eyepiece and diagonal.  The second should be a short 1 inch (or less) extension with same design - threaded on one side with a brass compression ring on other.  This would allow the binoviewing crowd to use the scope.

I've often lamented here on CN the "adapter hell" I find myself in EVRYTIME I try to outfit the scope to my liking.   It was that way with the FS152 and the Sky90 and now the TSA120.

I just don't understand it. 

#24 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the info, Paul.  I received a 2-inch compression VB with one of my Tak scopes and have been looking for another one.  Now I know why they are so difficult to find.

I am okay with the ClickLock for the most part, but it can jam and hang up at the most annoying times and with my arthritis and wrist fusion, it is hard to release.  So I replaced the one on my SCT with a regular 2-inch Baader VB and would like to convert the rest of my scopes to thumb screws.  I miss my FT focusers and A-P visual backs, but cannot afford to convert everything.

And even though I often curse at my ClickLock, Baader is the "King of Adapters" right now.  Their T-2 selection is without peer and they have a great selection if you like ClickLocks.

Cheers,

Ron

#25 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

I think Takahashis are used by “infinite” configurations and NOT with by a in exclusively offered/suggested optical accesory (say a X bino) from the scope’s manufacturer. There is freedom into adapt what bino you want. AND ... enough couplers in the “adapter hell ”. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics