•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi TSA120 - Backend Plumbing

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:08 AM

I think Takahashis are used by “infinite” configurations and NOT with by a in exclusively offered/suggested optical accesory (say a X bino) from the scope’s manufacturer. There is freedom into adapt what bino you want. AND ... enough couplers in the “adapter hell ”. 

Thanks for you contribution to my thread.  You and I have been around this bend before.   If this is freedom, I find it to be quite constricting. 

• edif300 likes this

#27 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for you contribution to my thread.  You and I have been around this bend before.   If this is freedom, I find it to be quite constricting. 

Upps sorry. Never understood this as your thread. good luck with adapters.

#28 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

I  may be a little bit overboard, but consider having a tube extension made .  An aluminum tubing cut to the length that would put your focuser position at about 1/3 extended at focus. It appears that it would need a female thread to match the tube and a Male thread to fit the current back end.  A fairly simple lathe project. Square the inside of the bottoming female end to keep the tube extension in columation. It could be considered a tube extender and a binoviewer tube shortener when not in use. 

Thanks.  This was my exact thought, too.  Astro-Physics had what I needed.

#29 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:28 PM

Upps sorry. Never understood this as your thread. good luck with adapters.

No worries.  Its just that you and I have had similar discussions over the years.

You are OK with all of the maddening number of tubes/adapters that Takahashi provides to accomplish seemingly simple tasks.  To me, its an overly complex system and at the end of the day, TAK still does NOT manufacture 2 inch (50.8mm) extensions tubes that utilize compression fittings. 

#30 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

No worries.  Its just that you and I have had similar discussions over the years.

You are OK with all of the maddening number of tubes/adapters that Takahashi provides to accomplish seemingly simple tasks.  To me, its an overly complex system and at the end of the day, TAK still does NOT manufacture 2 inch (50.8mm) extensions tubes that utilize compression fittings. 

I am OK with all of the maddening number of adapters just because I spent a good time with them. AFAIK, there is 2" eyepiece adapters in 3 different lenghts as there as extensions tubes for 2" adapters. The numbers of adapters are just enough to ensure compatibility for scopes manufactured 40 years ago and manufactured year ago. So for me, I am not understanding your claim, just only because you can't find a compresión ring adapter or you are having some problems into knowing all possible adapters combinations for your setup. If you don't want spend time with this, you are right, simply ask about your requirements and thank you!. But something you must understand about TAK is that TAK manufactures good amount of diverse telescopes (not only one refractor and one bino setup).

The lack of compression ring for 2" eyepiece adapter (while there is available for 31.7mm) doesn't mean nothing other that they went in other direction. When I using my ZAOs the 31.7 compression eyepiece adapter is actually unconfortable, there is a doubt zone where I don't know if the ZAO is safely locked or not.

#31 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:34 PM

The 6 TSAs I have owned over the years have all come to focus with any 2" diagonal and any eyepiece...

Seems the problem is with the added FT focuser not being configured to work correctly with the back focus of the Tak OTA...
  • rerun likes this

#32 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:28 PM

Seems the problem is with the added FT focuser not being configured to work correctly with the back focus of the Tak OTA...

The issue is that you have to use all the TAK extension tubes to come to focus which is fine.  However, neither of which include compression fittings and are not in the same league regarding fit/finish as either the FT focuser or the 3 screw A-P end cap.

To get compression fittings I had to ditch the TAK tubes in favor of A-P threaded tubes.

Edited by peleuba, 25 June 2020 - 07:29 PM.

• RAKing likes this

#33 gjanke

gjanke

Ranger 4

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:54 PM

Is it a TSA120 issue? The TSA102 I have with the very same starlight focuser you have Paul reaches focus with all of the Televue ethos line and at least one of the Delos. Now I am using the Tak 2” diagonal and not my AP diagonal. So that might be the difference. 

Btw I believe this is the piece you’re looking for

https://www.landseas...ing-fs-102.html

#34 marcus_z

marcus_z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Germany

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:56 PM

The 3" Feather Touch with M72 endcap for the TSA-120 has exactly the same length as the original Takahashi focuser. So the Takahashi system chart applies here as well.

#35 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:10 AM

If so, following the System chart is the only trick to do. Am I understanding the situation rightly?

Edited by edif300, 26 June 2020 - 03:13 AM.

#36 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:56 AM

Is it a TSA120 issue? The TSA102 I have with the very same starlight focuser you have Paul reaches focus with all of the Televue ethos line and at least one of the Delos. Now I am using the Tak 2” diagonal and not my AP diagonal. So that might be the difference. 

Btw I believe this is the piece you’re looking for

https://www.landseas...ing-fs-102.html

Gerald - Its a TSA120 "issue" in the sense that for the TSA120 to come to focus, you need to use an extension tube(s).  TAK provides two of them with the telescope.  These thread into both the stock TAK focuser and the FT with the 72mm endcap. 

According to my conversation with Darren at TNR two days ago this part is no longer available.  It was made by a local Houston, TX machinist for TNR.  Its not a stock item made by Takahashi Japan.  I think I purchased several of them for my Sky90.      

The 3" Feather Touch with M72 endcap for the TSA-120 has exactly the same length as the original Takahashi focuser. So the Takahashi system chart applies here as well.

Correct.  But for visual use without a binoviewier, you must use the provided extension tubes.  I get lost in the system chart.  To me, the system chart is more for the astro-photographer.  My needs are simple.

Perhaps I am not being clear so let me state it more plainly:  I do not like the Takahashi extension tubes.  They are weak compared to other offerings and do not have compression fittings.    My premise my original post on this topic was to look for alternatives to using the TAK extension tubes.  And, thanks to RAKing, I have found them.  I received yesterday, from Astro-Physics, a full set of threaded extension tubes of various sizes that I can mix/match to my liking.

Edited by peleuba, 26 June 2020 - 06:56 AM.

#37 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:41 AM

TKA23250 in question has 140gr. of weight and 4mm thickness with male/female M72p1. 52mm lenght. For beeing weak has good numbers. Good to know, after all seems this is reducing all to I like/dislike.

#38 marcus_z

marcus_z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Germany

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:53 AM

Correct.  But for visual use without a binoviewier, you must use the provided extension tubes.  I get lost in the system chart.  To me, the system chart is more for the astro-photographer.  My needs are simple.

The system chart is for visual as well as for photography. It is easy to follow and for visual the adapters come with the scope.

Perhaps I am not being clear so let me state it more plainly:  I do not like the Takahashi extension tubes.  They are weak compared to other offerings and do not have compression fittings.    My premise my original post on this topic was to look for alternatives to using the TAK extension tubes.  And, thanks to RAKing, I have found them.  I received yesterday, from Astro-Physics, a full set of threaded extension tubes of various sizes that I can mix/match to my liking.

Everyone has a different taste. It seems like you found your individual solution waytogo.gif

#39 BCNGreyCat

BCNGreyCat

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:52 AM

This is my Tak 2” extension tube with compress ring. Labeled as Takahashi and “made in japan”. I have another almost identical one except two set screws.

Attached Thumbnails

• 711A8899-8DE5-452E-84BB-BF9C8B763D14.jpeg

Edited by BCNGreyCat, 26 June 2020 - 11:52 AM.

#40 ryderc1

ryderc1

Viking 1

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

This is my Tak 2” extension tube with compress ring. Labeled as Takahashi and “made in japan”. I have another almost identical one except two set screws.

My impression was that TNR used the original Tak adapters and then had a local machinist add an interior channel and compression ring. So the parts retained the Tak  "Made in Japan" label.

To add a possible word of caution: I've found that the above process may not have been consistently followed. As an example,  I bought a used, but like new,  2" Tak visual back about 6 months ago to replace the set screw version on one of my Tak refractors. It arrived without a Tak "Made in Japan" sticker on it. The visual back threaded onto the focuser drawtube of my scope just fine but the diameter of the compression ring end of the back was too small to accept the nosepiece of my 2" Baader diagonal which fits into my set screw version Tak visual back just fine. This made me wonder if some of these 2" compression ring visual backs were made by an outside machinist from scratch as opposed to starting with a Tak visual back and adding a compression ring to it.

#41 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:44 PM

Compression ring is added by TNR. Isn't made by Tak in japan.

#42 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:20 PM

You should send that photo to Darren at TNR/Takahashi USA.  He told me there was never such a thing made by TAK.  It was TNR that had these made...

#43 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:33 PM

My impression was that TNR used the original Tak adapters and then had a local machinist add an interior channel and compression ring. So the parts retained the Tak  "Made in Japan" label.

To add a possible word of caution: I've found that the above process may not have been consistently followed. As an example,  I bought a used, but like new,  2" Tak visual back about 6 months ago to replace the set screw version on one of my Tak refractors. It arrived without a Tak "Made in Japan" sticker on it. The visual back threaded onto the focuser drawtube of my scope just fine but the diameter of the compression ring end of the back was too small to accept the nosepiece of my 2" Baader diagonal which fits into my set screw version Tak visual back just fine. This made me wonder if some of these 2" compression ring visual backs were made by an outside machinist from scratch as opposed to starting with a Tak visual back and adding a compression ring to it.

Hi Charlie - this is very interesting...  Here's my story...  I bought several of the shorter versions for my Sky90-II.  Here is a photo.  Like yours, one of them was slightly too small - the 2" nosepiece of the diagonal would not fit.  It was put on a lathe and a few 1000's of metal was machined out.  Works like a charm now and the new owner is enjoying it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• TAK1.jpg

#44 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

I’m not sure what your friends in Houston are telling you Paul but this is the extension tube I have used with all my TSAs. M72 threaded on both ends.

https://www.kyoei-os...oringFS102.html

Edited by Kunama, 26 June 2020 - 03:30 PM.

#45 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:34 PM

That is like the one I had with my FS128 some years back.

#46 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:35 PM

Hi Charlie - this is very interesting...  Here's my story...  I bought several of the shorter versions for my Sky90-II.  Here is a photo.  Like yours, one of them was slightly too small - the 2" nosepiece of the diagonal would not fit.  It was put on a lathe and a few 1000's of metal was machined out.  Works like a charm now and the new owner is enjoying it.  

Those cross-knurled ones were not a Tak item.

#47 ryderc1

ryderc1

Viking 1

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:34 PM

Yes! And that's the same knurling pattern that was on the on the 2" visual back that was too small to accept my diagonal's nosepiece.

#48 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

I’m not sure what your friends in Houston are telling you Paul but this is the extension tube I have used with all my TSAs. M72 threaded on both ends.

https://www.kyoei-os...oringFS102.html

Matt - Thanks but the the photo below found at the link you posted is not what we are speaking about.  I have all the TAK tubes that come stock with the telescope.  I also had both the Takahashi focuser and the FeatherTouch focuser that is availble for the TSA120.  I evaluated both and kept the FT and sold the TAK to someone that's participating in this thread.  FOr the scope to come to focus, I needed to use either the TAK extension tubes or some after market extension tube.  I crossed the TAK off of the list because they do not manufacture a tube with compression fittings.  I would have to attache a Baader click lock.  Bu, to me, it looks kludgy on a refractor.  I wanted an elegant design

"My friend's in Houston" are telling me exactly what I said in my several posts to this thread which is this:  there is no such thing as TAK extension tube with a compression fitting.  I don't embellish - ever; and I don't make stuff up.  If you have a question with what TNR/Takahashi America told me all you have to do is call/email them.

I am not interested in chasing it down as the A-P parts I ordered work perfectly and the fit/finish is superior to TAK and its a perfet match to the A-P visual back and FT focuser.

Attached Thumbnails

• TAK.jpg

• RAKing likes this

#49 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:50 PM

Correct.  It was a local machine shop in Houston, TX.  TNR offered this to the folks in the U.S. who demanded compression fittings.  

At the end of the day Takahashi needs to start making compression fittings for their 2" visual backs.  

Edited by peleuba, 28 June 2020 - 07:51 PM.

• Paul G likes this

#50 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:55 AM

Ok, I thought you were after the M72 threaded ones.  I understand you wanting to keep it streamlined rather than kludging up a system.

For my FT3545 I was able to get a specific ClickLock endcap which marries in well with my BBHS ClickLock diagonal for monoviewing and the T2 for binoviewing.

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7975s.JPG

Edited by Kunama, 29 June 2020 - 01:55 AM.

• peleuba, paul, M44 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics