•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 06-23 09:00 UTC

art dob observing report observing sketching
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

The last few nights have been a mixed bag - we've had a mix of either average seeing with really poor transparency (fog from the SF Bay) or really good transparency with poor seeing. Tonight was more of the former except that the seeing was good - I'd rate it 6.5 or 7 on the Pickering scale. Jupiter was fantastic for all of 15 minutes around 0900 UTC before a thick layer of fog completely obliterated everything in the sky. Here's a quick sketch from 0900 UTC.

Jupiter 2020-06-23 0900 UTC.jpg

• Special Ed, jim kuhns, Dean Norris and 2 others like this

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 23 June 2020 - 08:26 PM

That's a pretty detailed sketch--well done.  Too bad about the fog, but 15-20 minutes is all the time you have when sketching Jupiter because of its swift rotation--it just won't stand still.  smile.gif 

One suggestion--you will get a more realistic looking drawing of Jupiter if you make or use a template that is more elliptical--Jupiter is an oblate spheroid.

• AstroVPK likes this

#3 Quinnipiac Monster

Quinnipiac Monster

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:10 PM

I observed the same longitudes this morning, those formations in NEB were very interesting indeed. I have quite a few  notes and sketches, here's one with color estimates. I have not had time yet to turn them into an actual color drawing. Newton 10" f/7, 350x, seeing very good (I-II Antoniadi). I also second Ed's suggestion smile.gif

Ivano

20200623_0850_dalp_notes.JPG

• AstroVPK likes this

#4 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:30 AM

Thank you both for your encouraging words! I'm going to try to create a template using Christopher Go's stunning images of Jupiter.

Tonight is looking like it's a wash - the sky is completely opaque right now and I doubt it'll clear tonight.

#5 Quinnipiac Monster

Quinnipiac Monster

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:02 AM

No need to create a template yourself, you can just download one of these:

https://britastro.or...003obsforms.pdf

http://pianeti.uai.i...s/Modgiove1.pdf

If you feel adventurous, when you are more advanced you can even make strip-sketches, and draw Jupiter as it "unrolls" under your eyes:

http://pianeti.uai.i...s/Modgiove2.pdf

• Special Ed and AstroVPK like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: art, dob, observing report, observing, sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics