•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Standout Customer Service - Why Questar Corporation Deserves its Reputation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:55 AM

I know this has been said before several times in this forum, but I felt this had to be expressed. In a time when great customer service is more the exception than the rule, my experience yesterday proved there is still a positive ray of light in the purview of corporations to prove themselves worthy of customer loyalty.

A couple days ago I received a axial port coupling adapter for older Questar scopes that I assumed would work for my '65 Q. After it arrived, it was apparent the adapter was the wrong size. So yesterday I called Questar Corporation and Jim R. answered the phone. I explained what happened including my confusion as to why it wouldn't fit. After further discussion it was determined that my scope had been modified some time in the past by a previous owner. I also discussed what my goal was for a camera (RI2 or ZWO) connection to the axial port. Jim determined what I really needed was a 1.25-inch slip-fit adapter.

Anyway, we agreed that I would ship back the coupling adapter then Questar would send the required new adapter. Then he altered course and concluded that would take an unnecessary amount of time; so, he would ship the slip-fit adapter that afternoon and I would send back the other adapter concurrently when it was convenient. Normally the swap would have involved a $30 price increase for me... but Jim R. decided to just call it even and don't worry about it.

Needless to say, I was incredibly thankful. I understand Questar is somewhat of a small "niche" company that doesn't necessarily cater to a large-volume mass market, but at the same time, I considered that level of customer service well above and beyond what would be normally expected, regardless of the market it serves.

Some people wonder why the Questar product is so special; it's not only the product, but the company that stands behind it and provides individual, personal exemplary service.

Cheers, Allan

• cbwerner, Ed Kessler, Erik Bakker and 20 others like this

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:32 PM

I had a similar experience when I replaced the Televue eyepiece adapther with the current Questar version.  The original unit had a problem (galled thread, maybe, in the focusing mechanism).  Jim R. suggested that the best thing to do was replace the unit Questar had sent me and he told me the same thing he told you: send the uffy piece back and he would ship the new one that day.

Jim

• ETXer likes this

#3 medpeds

medpeds

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

As a new Questar owner, I too have been very impressed with the level of customer service provided by Questar. From the ordering process and through a number of common and "unusual" questions I have posed, the "Jim's" (Reichert and Perkins) have been available and very helpful. When I needed parts replaced under warranty, the turnaround was very fast, and Jim R. personally checked the replacements! In a day when one finds customer service becoming outsourced and/or automated, the personal attention given by Questar is refreshing!  

• ETXer and rcwolpert like this

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:29 PM

Well said all and a testimony to the customer service-DNA of Questar and Jim R: outstanding waytogo.gif

• ETXer and daddymouse like this

#5 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

I had a similar experience when I replaced the Televue eyepiece adapther with the current Questar version.  The original unit had a problem (galled thread, maybe, in the focusing mechanism).  Jim R. suggested that the best thing to do was replace the unit Questar had sent me and he told me the same thing he told you: send the uffy piece back and he would ship the new one that day.

Jim

That's yet another aspect of their service I'm not accustomed to; not only friendly and knowledgeable, but as prompt as possible.

... In a day when one finds customer service becoming outsourced and/or automated, the personal attention given by Questar is refreshing!  

Definitely a unique characteristic these days; funny how such a simple concept can generate customer loyalty, an example for others to follow.

• JamesMStephens likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics