•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A "wierd" advice from SW technical assistance

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 eblanken

eblanken

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon Area NW USA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:36 AM

smile.gif  If you had a Fiat-Chrysler and got that advice you'd be getting good advice!  

I used Moonlite focusers for many years but finally made the conversion to FT with Rack and Pinion.  It's a good move (for me anyhow) but it's an expensive one.  

Greg N

I went to a car & truck enthusiast meeting & show. I saw an old FORD Truck with a "primer" grey paint job. But when the owner lifted the hood, all were amazed to see a Jaguar V-12 engine under the hood.

Food for thought,

Ed (aka eblanken)

• gnowellsct likes this

#27 beanerds

beanerds

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:00 AM

I have a sweet iStar 127mm f8 with an Esprit focuser I got off a club member for nearly nothing as he got sick to death of fiddling with it ! just could not get it right .

I stripped it and found a few small problems , reassembled being careful to adjust each step as best I could before moving on , it took days ! but in the end it's now a great focuser that I have only had to adjust the bottom tension screws once in 3 years ( less than 1/16th of a turn each ! ) , its action is nice now and it holds my 1kg Celestron Axion LX eyepiece at the zenith easily .

Here it is on the scope .

The other scope is my now sold 127mm f7.5 triplet with its Feather Touch FT3035 fitted , almost perfection in a focuser that never needed touching in the 5 years I owned and used it ,, both sadly sold now but I enjoy the iStar / SW combo as much .

Yes these focusers are fiddly and touchy to get right and if you don't take your time and be very careful as to what you do it will be heartache !! trust me , I had the bearings fall out as stated above !!! not much fun putting these back into place !! .

You will be more than happy with the Moonlight , these are awesome !! enjoy .

Beanerds.

ps. Don't mind the poor Vixen SP mount under the iStar , I was playing around with combos on the day this photo was taken , it's ususl home is the mighty Celestron CI700 .

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180608_093210 (3).jpg
  • 022 (2).JPG

#28 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:34 AM

What's not lined up? Everything looks lined up. Are you concerned about the vertical spike? 

Thanks for your answer. The central, horizontal spikes.

Regards, Fernando

#29 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:40 AM

They changed the design in recent years, the new focuser is leagues better.

Good news for those who bought a SW Esprit recently. Otherwise the focuser, I am very happy with the scope, even to the point of getting a moonlight focuser for it. It is nice for observing and imaging. Right now, I can not get the central, horizontal spikes on line, whatever I try.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#30 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:42 AM

I have a sweet iStar 127mm f8 with an Esprit focuser I got off a club member for nearly nothing as he got sick to death of fiddling with it ! just could not get it right .

I stripped it and found a few small problems , reassembled being careful to adjust each step as best I could before moving on , it took days ! but in the end it's now a great focuser that I have only had to adjust the bottom tension screws once in 3 years ( less than 1/16th of a turn each ! ) , its action is nice now and it holds my 1kg Celestron Axion LX eyepiece at the zenith easily .

Here it is on the scope .

The other scope is my now sold 127mm f7.5 triplet with its Feather Touch FT3035 fitted , almost perfection in a focuser that never needed touching in the 5 years I owned and used it ,, both sadly sold now but I enjoy the iStar / SW combo as much .

Yes these focusers are fiddly and touchy to get right and if you don't take your time and be very careful as to what you do it will be heartache !! trust me , I had the bearings fall out as stated above !!! not much fun putting these back into place !! .

You will be more than happy with the Moonlight , these are awesome !! enjoy .

Beanerds.

ps. Don't mind the poor Vixen SP mount under the iStar , I was playing around with combos on the day this photo was taken , it's ususl home is the mighty Celestron CI700 .

Thanks for your answer!!!

#31 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:48 AM

I would recommend posting this as a new thread in the imaging forum.  More people using Bahtinov masks over there, plus the topic of this thread doesn’t cover this issue, so a lot of people might miss it.

As to your question... I have seen this before. I’m not sure what the cause is—slightly decentered mask (my guess), seeing conditions that vary across the aperture of the scope, imperfections in the mask, choosing a star that is not quite centered in the field of view (my second choice guess), or something else entirely. Usually when I have run into this the lack of centering of the middle spike has varied from one exposure to the next by at least as much as the difference between sides, so I just pick a reasonable compromise and move on.

I would recommend posting this as a new thread in the imaging forum.  More people using Bahtinov masks over there, plus the topic of this thread doesn’t cover this issue, so a lot of people might miss it.

Thanks. I may do that.

As to your question... I have seen this before. I’m not sure what the cause is—slightly decentered mask (my guess), seeing conditions that vary across the aperture of the scope, imperfections in the mask, choosing a star that is not quite centered in the field of view (my second choice guess), or something else entirely. Usually when I have run into this the lack of centering of the middle spike has varied from one exposure to the next by at least as much as the difference between sides, so I just pick a reasonable compromise and move on.

Does not matter how I play with the mask in different nights and positions, the spikes are always not in line. I use SGPro to plate solve to center DSO. Never failed before.

Thanks for the comments, regards, Fernando

#32 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:03 AM

If you are outside the US which appears to be the case, then it would most likely cost you just as much money in round trip shipping fees plus the cost of a replacement focuser from SkyWatcher since it sounds like it's out of warranty. The price of an aftermarket focuser is not weird advice, it's smart advice. 

The price of an aftermarket focuser is not weird advice, it's smart advice.

With all due respect, I do not agree with you. As I wrote before, it is a honest advice, but not a smart one, whatever a a smart advice means. By the way, the stock focuser of my C8, Celestron Edge HD 11 ( that I sold) and the Astro-Tech AT65EDQ are of higher quality. And they are older than my SW Esprit. And yes, it will cost a lot to send it back to SW for fixing.

#33 Jond105

Jond105

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:43 AM

Little late... but I remember before calling them(US Support) asking about an upgrade to a focuser on my skywatcher dob. Kevin recommended me a moonlite back then. To be honest, it’s not like they’re wrong. Since then I’ve made sure to put a moonlite on all my skywatcher ED scopes. I feel it’s smart advice only because, a company like skywatcher tries to save money for the consumer somewhere and it generally seems to be at the focuser end and make you pay pretty much for the tube and glass aspects of it. Some like their stock focusers, I’m one who doesn’t and applies the extra money I’ll need for a better focuser. It’s not to say I feel bad for you and your situation with your focuser. I can only imagine how upset you were about it. 

• Daniel Mounsey and RossW like this

#34 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:22 PM

The price of an aftermarket focuser is not weird advice, it's smart advice.

With all due respect, I do not agree with you. As I wrote before, it is a honest advice, but not a smart one, whatever a a smart advice means. By the way, the stock focuser of my C8, Celestron Edge HD 11 ( that I sold) and the Astro-Tech AT65EDQ are of higher quality. And they are older than my SW Esprit. And yes, it will cost a lot to send it back to SW for fixing.

What’s the smart solution?

• Jon Isaacs and BFaucett like this

#35 tonyt

tonyt

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted Yesterday, 01:13 AM

It seems the focuser was out of warranty but developed an unexpected fault. Perhaps Skywatcher could have offered to send a new focuser at cost price? Some sort of negotiated agreement would keep the customer happier and support the company's reputation.

• beanerds and delorehal like this

#36 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 03:14 AM

We provided support for this issue as much as we could. Usually we would have offered to get the focuser back for inspection and adjustment but the OP is not within the North American region which we cover.

My understanding is the local support was not up to the task which is unfortunate. We try to provide as much logical support as we can for Sky-Watcher customers outside our region but at times can not provide our full capabilities.

For this it would have been either get the focuser back which would have cost the OP a fare amount of money in shipping. Or recommend a replacement focuser.

We have no control outside our region of coverage so we can only do so much. If that was consider “weird” or less than satisfactory support then so be it.

Edited by skyward_eyes, Yesterday, 03:16 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Jon Isaacs, sixela and 5 others like this

#37 hyia

hyia

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 01:46 PM

We provided support for this issue as much as we could. Usually we would have offered to get the focuser back for inspection and adjustment but the OP is not within the North American region which we cover.

My understanding is the local support was not up to the task which is unfortunate. We try to provide as much logical support as we can for Sky-Watcher customers outside our region but at times can not provide our full capabilities.

For this it would have been either get the focuser back which would have cost the OP a fare amount of money in shipping. Or recommend a replacement focuser.

We have no control outside our region of coverage so we can only do so much. If that was consider “weird” or less than satisfactory support then so be it.

First, I appreciate that vendors come onto these forums and contribute to the discussions.  I do think they do it in as much of a neutral, non-marketing manner as can be expected.

Now, my understanding of the characterization of "weird" is that the OP had a problem with his focuser.  He already ordered a new focuser, so that was not the point of contacting the vendor.  I believe that his point was that the focuser seemed very poor in relation to the rest of the scope and that he contacted the vendor, perhaps, to see if the vendor would say something along the lines of, "This is how you need to adjust the focuser."  Instead, I believe he got a response that was, to him, along the lines of, "Yes, these focusers suck.  If you want a good focuser on this scope, buy a Moonlight or Feathertouch."

I may be totally misreading this, but that is why I think he is calling it weird advice.  I don't think he is otherwise criticizing the scope or vendors.

So, I think the desired input from the vendor (or others) would be whether or not they think that, correctly adjusted, the focuser is just as good as the replacements suggested.  I don't think this is a fair question since I know that a lot of people consider Feathertouch focusers to be the best, but if a vendor wants to make that assertion, I think it will certainly lead to an interesting discussion.

My apologies to the OP if I am misreading his statements.

#38 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted Yesterday, 03:46 PM

My Skywatcher is not the cost of yours but at one time and no idea why but I just could not get focuser to operate right.

Took it apart and 2 V shaped low friction inserts. So sort of reads alike.

Realised how the thing worked, but more importantly how I would have to make setup and tension adjustments. I have to do about half a turn on the 2 outer screws, then half a turn on the center one, then repeat until the rod contacts the flat surface face of the focuser tube. Then getly undo about 1/8 or less of a turn.

On mine the adjustment screws were just so far out from each other and where they should be that all was a bit kinked and would not function.

When people talk of adjustment and tightening a Skywatcher it is described as one action, whereas I found it an itterative process of 3 screws in order to maintain the rod and focuser face flat relative to each other. If they are not kept on the same plane then you lose a lot of the friction created between the rod and tube face.

Focusers seem odd. Have recently noticed people praise a Crayford, R&P's get a bit of a poor press. Used to be the other way around some years ago when people would recommend an R&P over a crayford.

#39 eblanken

eblanken

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon Area NW USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:00 PM

My Skywatcher is not the cost of yours but at one time and no idea why but I just could not get focuser to operate right.

Took it apart and 2 V shaped low friction inserts. So sort of reads alike.

Realised how the thing worked, but more importantly how I would have to make setup and tension adjustments. I have to do about half a turn on the 2 outer screws, then half a turn on the center one, then repeat until the rod contacts the flat surface face of the focuser tube. Then getly undo about 1/8 or less of a turn.

On mine the adjustment screws were just so far out from each other and where they should be that all was a bit kinked and would not function.

When people talk of adjustment and tightening a Skywatcher it is described as one action, whereas I found it an itterative process of 3 screws in order to maintain the rod and focuser face flat relative to each other. If they are not kept on the same plane then you lose a lot of the friction created between the rod and tube face.

Focusers seem odd. Have recently noticed people praise a Crayford, R&P's get a bit of a poor press. Used to be the other way around some years ago when people would recommend an R&P over a crayford.

I prefer R & P, but have learned to live with Crayfords. Some of my Crayfords are stock, but others are an upgrade from the "bottom rung" stock R & P "junk" that shipped standard on some scopes. FeatherTouch R & P are TOP RUNG & REALLY, REALLY NICE, but I hesitate to put a FeatherTouch on a $100 ST-80 (not that I haven't thought about it, LOL !?!?!?!).

My advice to Fernando134, (the OP), find the money for a FT for your otherwise nice refractor and never look back.

Best Regards,

Ed (aka eblanken)

Edited by eblanken, Yesterday, 04:04 PM.

#40 Fernando134

Fernando134

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 04:11 PM

We have no control outside our region of coverage so we can only do so much. If that was consider “weird” or less than satisfactory support then so be

To clarify: I bought the SW Esprit 120 ED from a dealer in Brasil that went out of bussines, named "Armazém do Telescópio". I also bought a SW AZEQ6 GOTO mount from them. I can not say for sure if they were an authorized SW Dealer. "Then so be..."

I have a Astro-Physics Mach1 mount. The support provided by AP to mounts owners is just amazing, fantastic. "Then so be.."

So, a new focuser is coming to the SW Esprit 120ED. Looking forward!!!

Regards, Fernando

• delorehal likes this

#41 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted Today, 03:32 AM

To clarify: I bought the SW Esprit 120 ED from a dealer in Brasil that went out of bussines, named "Armazém do Telescópio". I also bought a SW AZEQ6 GOTO mount from them. I can not say for sure if they were an authorized SW Dealer. "Then so be..."

I have a Astro-Physics Mach1 mount. The support provided by AP to mounts owners is just amazing, fantastic. "Then so be.."

So, a new focuser is coming to the SW Esprit 120ED. Looking forward!!!

Regards, Fernando

Fernando:

It seems that your focuser is out of warranty and that you are not within Skywatcher North America's service region.  Did you contact Skywatcher Global?  If so, what did they say?

http://skywatcher.com/contact/

No one should be surprised that Astro-Physics support is superior to Skywatcher.  Astro-Physics is a small company run by a legendary figure whose goal has been to provide the highest quality product.  Roland can give your scope individual attention. 

Jon 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics