•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss 10"

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

And to supplement information in the Stoody Scope thread, here's an interesting biography I turned up from a 2013 issue of the Carbon Canyon Chronicle:

http://carboncanyonc...story-from.html

And check this out as well:

https://aerospacecue...ey-stoody/4484/

And from Griffith Observatory:

"The addition of a 9½-inch Zeiss telescope in 1955, previously mounted for more than two decades on the roof of the car of Whittier amateur astronomer Shelly Stoody, aided Roques in the precise aiming and guiding needed for his photoelectric work."

http://www.griffitho...pe_history.html

So apparently the scope offered for sale on eBay by Mr. Pons is not the same As Stoody's giant car scope. So there must be more than one ~10" scope in Southern California's LA area. 

As confirmed here:

https://www.cloudyni...arty/?p=1538655

so we are in agreement.  The 10" Zeiss is not the same as the Stoody scope.

• tim53 likes this

#27 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:52 AM

so we are in agreement.  The 10" Zeiss is not the same as the Stoody scope.

Is that not obvious? We were never in disagreement. I merely asked if it was as I didn't remember otherwise. Certainly no reason to be contentious!

#28 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:20 AM

I was just reading over all the posts in this thread and there seemed to be some questions about which scope is what.  Just making sure it is clear now.  

#29 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:29 PM

The "9 Shelly Stoody scope is the one mounted on the Griffith 12".

The last time I was at the observatory, in the dome there was a framed photo of it on the car along with a caption on it's history.

I think it's mentioned on their website, and also in an old Griffith Observer.

Posted before I completely read other's comments.

Edited by Kasmos, 27 June 2020 - 02:35 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#30 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:36 PM

The "9 Shelly Stoody scope is the one mounted on the Griffith 12".

The last time I was at the observatory, in the dome there was a framed photo of it on the car along with a caption on it's history.

I think it's mentioned on their website, and also in an old Griffith Observer.

Posted before I completely read other's comments.

I read that some years ago when I was doing research on that scopesmirk.gif

#31 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:54 PM

I just remembered I took a photo of the photo in the dome while waiting in line to look thru the telescope.

Inside the dome there was low lighting so it came out terrible, but I kept it just for the memory.

Zeiss-on-Model-A.jpg

The red light is a reflection from the telescope.

God, I love this stuff!

Edited by Kasmos, 27 June 2020 - 03:57 PM.

• tim53, clamchip, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#32 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

I just remembered I took a photo of the photo in the dome while waiting in line to look thru the telescope.

Inside the dome there was low lighting so it came out terrible, but I kept it just for the memory.

attachicon.gifZeiss-on-Model-A.jpg

The red light is a reflection from the telescope.

God, I love this stuff!

the first time I saw that picture I was thinking I want onegrin.gif

• Kasmos likes this

#33 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:43 PM

Jon I think has gotten to the age where he has a hard time each time he sets the scope up  when  he wants to use it.  But that is what he has done for years.  

Why would anyone not mount something like that in an observatory instead?  I remember the guy in Sky & Tel who had the 11" refractor and carried it around like a missile on the top of his car. 

#34 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

Why would anyone not mount something like that in an observatory instead?  I remember the guy in Sky & Tel who had the 11" refractor and carried it around like a missile on the top of his car. 

That was a guy named Jeff i think in a spring 1978 issue.  The cost of a observatory is not cheap.

Edited by CHASLX200, 27 June 2020 - 04:47 PM.

#35 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:31 PM

Especially for a scope that size.  When i had the Simpson 12" f/8.4 Springfield, I considered having John restore it for me, but I didn't have the folding greens for the telescope and no real prospects for an observatory at the time (I donated it to the Hartness House museum in 2007).  I figured it would need close to a 20' dome to house it.  A rolloff shed could probably be made smaller, as it would only need to cover the scope in a stowed position.

If I were wealthy and hadn't *finally* started on my observatory at Cosmic Acres, I'd seriously consider something like that. 

-Tim.

• Terra Nova likes this

#36 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

Especially for a scope that size.  When i had the Simpson 12" f/8.4 Springfield, I considered having John restore it for me, but I didn't have the folding greens for the telescope and no real prospects for an observatory at the time (I donated it to the Hartness House museum in 2007).  I figured it would need close to a 20' dome to house it.  A rolloff shed could probably be made smaller, as it would only need to cover the scope in a stowed position.

If I were wealthy and hadn't *finally* started on my observatory at Cosmic Acres, I'd seriously consider something like that. 

-Tim.

remember Pons never had this 10" scope in an observatory.  He would set the 10" Zeiss up each time he wanted to use it.   If the desire is there a person will find a way to use it.  I have to carry my 12.5" up a flight of stairs each time I want to use it and then carry it back down when I am done.   It is not a light scope.  

• jcruse64 likes this

#37 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

remember Pons never had this 10" scope in an observatory.  He would set the 10" Zeiss up each time he wanted to use it.   If the desire is there a person will find a way to use it.  I have to carry my 12.5" up a flight of stairs each time I want to use it and then carry it back down when I am done.   It is not a light scope.  

WITW??  Is that a DOB??

#38 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:58 PM

No one is lifting that OTA by them self i can bet on that. My house is not set up for any scope like that no matter how bad i wanna use it and my weather would destroy it in a years time if left outside.

#39 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

WITW??  Is that a DOB??

It is a porta ball

#40 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:00 PM

No one is lifting that OTA by them self i can bet on that. My house is not set up for any scope like that no matter how bad i wanna use it and my weather would destroy it in a years time if left outside.

Then I would suggest not getting a scope like that

• tim53 likes this

#41 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:17 PM

That was a guy named Jeff i think in a spring 1978 issue.  The cost of a observatory is not cheap.

Good memory. March 1978. I just looked at it about an hour ago.

#42 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

Good memory. March 1978. I just looked at it about an hour ago.

I never forget things like that. That was when i first got SKY& TELE and had problems getting my mags for months.  

#43 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

As far as why people put such large telescopes on a car?

Besides the cost of a observatory, amateur astronmers have always traveled to better and darker sites to use their scopes.

I believe that Stoddy was a member of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society and LA's lights were getting bad enough back then.

Jeff also lived in SoCal and the article shows that he took his scope to relatively near and dark sites (especially back then), like Joshua Tree, Idyllwild, and the San Gabiel Mnts..

While it's a little different situation.

It still relates to what Ponds and others have done in the lesson of, where there's a will, there's a way.

• starman876, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#44 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:44 PM

As far as why people put such large telescopes on a car?

Besides the cost of a observatory, amateur astronmers have always traveled to better and darker sites to use their scopes.

I believe that Stoddy was a member of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society and LA's lights were getting bad enough back then.

Jeff also lived in SoCal and the article shows that he took his scope to relatively near and dark sites (especially back then), like Joshua Tree, Idyllwild, and the San Gabiel Mnts..

While it's a little different situation.

It still relates to what Ponds and others have done in the lesson of, where there's a will, there's a way.

Yep, if you want something bad enough you will find a way.

#45 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for finding this thread.  I remember reading that thread bug-eyed.  It sits on the pantheon of refractor/atm threads on this site.  I believe Dan Mounsey also has a similar thread with additional photos and details.  This is such a great value for a large scope especially compared to the 11"? D&G solar rig on the market for the past few years.

Jim

And to supplement information in the Stoody Scope thread, here's an interesting biography I turned up from a 2013 issue of the Carbon Canyon Chronicle:

http://carboncanyonc...story-from.html

And check this out as well:

https://aerospacecue...ey-stoody/4484/

And from Griffith Observatory:

"The addition of a 9½-inch Zeiss telescope in 1955, previously mounted for more than two decades on the roof of the car of Whittier amateur astronomer Shelly Stoody, aided Roques in the precise aiming and guiding needed for his photoelectric work."

http://www.griffitho...pe_history.html

So apparently the scope offered for sale on eBay by Mr. Pons is not the same As Stoody's giant car scope. So there must be more than one ~10" scope in Southern California's LA area. 

As confirmed here:

https://www.cloudyni...arty/?p=1538655

• Terra Nova likes this

#46 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:55 AM

Jon also owned the 6" Goto refractor that he moved on to Steve M M which then moved on to an observatory up in Eagle.  Probably still boxed up and stored there.

I got to observe through a Zeiss 8" f/12 in a private observatory of a Zeiss collector in NJ around 2000 during a Q'fest meet in New Hope, PA.  Another one of the nights where Saturn's ring and planetary detail are etched in my brain.

Edited by Stew44, 28 June 2020 - 03:32 PM.

• Steve_M_M, Bomber Bob and davidc135 like this

#47 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:32 AM

Jon also owned the 6" Goto refractor that he moved on toe Steve M M which then moved on to an observatory up in Eagle.  Probably still boxed up and stored there.

I got to observe through a Zeiss 8" f/12 in a private observatory of a Zeiss collector in NJ around 2000 during a Q'fest meet in New Hope, PA.  Another one of the nights where Saturn's ring and planetary detail are etched in my brain.

I remember a view of Saturn like that one night at the Cincinnati Observatory about five years ago on a particularly stable Spring night whilst observing with the 11-inch Merz and Mahler refractor from 1845. The Encke Gap and the Crepe Ring were perfectly displayed along with all the usual features. It was simply amazing.

• Jeff B, Piggyback and davidc135 like this

#48 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

I remember a view of Saturn like that one night at the Cincinnati Observatory about five years ago on a particularly stable Spring night whilst observing with the 11-inch Merz and Mahler refractor from 1845. The Encke Gap and the Crepe Ring were perfectly displayed along with all the usual features. It was simply amazing.

those are such wonderful viewing experiences that one remembers forever.

• Terra Nova likes this

#49 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:36 PM

Since the Stoddy Model A was posted I thought it appropriate to include this newer but now old '68 Fairlane.

Starship-on-Ford.jpg

You know your old when you realize that more years have past between now and the Fairlane,

than between the Fairlane and Model A.

Edited by Kasmos, 28 June 2020 - 01:37 PM.

• gts055, Jeff B, clamchip and 6 others like this

#50 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:40 PM

Since the Stoddy Model A was posted I thought it appropriate to include this newer but now old '68 Fairlane.

attachicon.gifStarship-on-Ford.jpg

You know your old when you realize that more years have past between now and the Fairlane,

than between the Fairlane and Model A.

I'm always doing that same subtract the years and subtract again game! It gets really creepy when you play it with music from your younger years! When I do that I think I wind up with John Phillips Sousa tunes recorded on paraffin cylinders! :lol:

• clamchip and Kasmos like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics