•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tasco Lumina 110450 Refractor Telescope

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jiblet65

jiblet65

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:06 AM

I posted this in the Tasco-itis thread not wanting to start a whole new one. Yesterday I just got my first ever telescope for $75. After cleaning her up a bit my wife and I took her for a short spin late afternoon until the lightning sent us packing. I have a lot to learn from what I could tell on my first outing. I don't think the scope is aligned with the eyepiece so I was trying to get that right and I did locate the moon and part of it was showing in the eyepiece but I had to head for cover. The eyepieces that came with it are pretty much basic or even junk units so my thought is to get a 2" adapter, a Barlow lens, a light pollution and moon filter and a couple of decent eyepieces like a 26mm and 40mm. I've already found the price tag jumps a bit going from 1.25" to 2" but I think it will make the experience much better and if I do upgrade to a better telescope I can use them with that and have this one for travel. Anyway here she is salvaged from a life of collecting dust in a house.37fd1a8537d691748072771564988bdb6e49b0d5

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

Hello and welcome to CN.

First figure out what size eyepieces you currently have.   This scope uses either .965 or 1.25 inch eyepieces.

If I had to guess from the picture it looks like .965.   But be sure.  Just turn the eyepiece upside down and measure the

diameter of the barrel with a ruler. 

If it is .965.  you will want to get a .965 to 1.25 inch diagonal from scopestuff.  Then buy a 1.25 32mm  and 20mm eyepiece, 2x barlow,

These should cost roughly $30.00 each.  You can shop the want ads here and probably get them for $20 each or less.

That will give you 32, 20, 16, and 10 mm equivalent power.   You may get one shorter eyepiece but I would hold off on that.

High power sounds enticing, until you find out how narrow the view gets, and how wobbly your mount is.

Do not buy 2 inch eyepieces.

1) a 2 inch eyepiece  will vignette (which means the image brightness will fall of a lot from the center to edge)

2) will require a two inch diagonal (expensive).

3) are very heavy and will probably unbalance this scope and mount.

It looks like the EQ mount is not setup right.    There are two axis on this telescope.  One is called Right Ascension or RA,

and the other Declination.  The RA shaft is the one connected to the tripod hub.  That shaft should be pointing at the

north star.  It should have an angle relative to the ground of your latitude.  For example I live in Chicago, and the angle of my RA

shaft is 42 degrees.   Once you have that set, Adjust the sliding counter weight so the scope is in balance when the

clutch is loosened.

For small scopes I find moon filters are not needed. 

It is easiest to align the finder with the main tube in the day time.  Sight a distant tree, phone pole, cell tower etc.

Use your longest fl eyepiece and get the item in the scope, then adjust the finder to match.  I see this scope

has an "internal" finder.  I have not used one of these.  Are there adjustment screws for it?

Good luck.

VT.

• jiblet65 likes this

#3 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:05 PM

I would expect that scope to be originally set up for .965" eyepieces, which can work really well, but it's hard to find decent ones these days. If you can adapt it for 1.25", you'll have a lot more options. With a scope of this type, though, there's no reason to splurge all the way up to 2"; it won't have the kind of wide field of view that would make that worthwhile. You actually can see quite a bit with a small scope.

• jiblet65 likes this

#4 jiblet65

jiblet65

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:05 AM

Hello and welcome to CN.

First figure out what size eyepieces you currently have.   This scope uses either .965 or 1.25 inch eyepieces.

If I had to guess from the picture it looks like .965.   But be sure.  Just turn the eyepiece upside down and measure the

diameter of the barrel with a ruler. 

If it is .965.  you will want to get a .965 to 1.25 inch diagonal from scopestuff.  Then buy a 1.25 32mm  and 20mm eyepiece, 2x barlow,

These should cost roughly $30.00 each.  You can shop the want ads here and probably get them for $20 each or less.

That will give you 32, 20, 16, and 10 mm equivalent power.   You may get one shorter eyepiece but I would hold off on that.

High power sounds enticing, until you find out how narrow the view gets, and how wobbly your mount is.

Do not buy 2 inch eyepieces.

1) a 2 inch eyepiece  will vignette (which means the image brightness will fall of a lot from the center to edge)

2) will require a two inch diagonal (expensive).

3) are very heavy and will probably unbalance this scope and mount.

It looks like the EQ mount is not setup right.    There are two axis on this telescope.  One is called Right Ascension or RA,

and the other Declination.  The RA shaft is the one connected to the tripod hub.  That shaft should be pointing at the

north star.  It should have an angle relative to the ground of your latitude.  For example I live in Chicago, and the angle of my RA

shaft is 42 degrees.   Once you have that set, Adjust the sliding counter weight so the scope is in balance when the

clutch is loosened.

For small scopes I find moon filters are not needed. 

It is easiest to align the finder with the main tube in the day time.  Sight a distant tree, phone pole, cell tower etc.

Use your longest fl eyepiece and get the item in the scope, then adjust the finder to match.  I see this scope

has an "internal" finder.  I have not used one of these.  Are there adjustment screws for it?

Good luck.

VT.

Thanks you guys are a wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately it sounds like I'm more over my head than I thought...lol I didn't get a chance to mess with it over the weekend but I did measure one of the eyepieces and I'm pretty sure this model takes 1.25" so I won't need an adapter. Below is a pic. I've found a Meade diagonal and a Celestron Barlow lens and 20mm eyepiece on here I just need to contact the sellers. There are a couple of Orion SKyGlow filters for about $25 so should I get one of these or try to find a Celestron UHC/LPR filter? Thanks for all your help!

c4ecd9b26f96ec040c77b235331c4f6517f00341

#5 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:54 AM

The info you get from people here usually reads a lot more complicated than it actually is, heh... If that's an eyepiece barrel, then it does look like a 1.25". The focusers on scopes like these are almost always made for .965", so I suspect the diagonal may be a .965-to-1.25 hybrid, letting you use the larger size. Nice!

#6 jiblet65

jiblet65

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 June 2020 - 11:12 AM

The info you get from people here usually reads a lot more complicated than it actually is, heh... If that's an eyepiece barrel, then it does look like a 1.25". The focusers on scopes like these are almost always made for .965", so I suspect the diagonal may be a .965-to-1.25 hybrid, letting you use the larger size. Nice!

Ah you are correct sir. I went back and measured the opening on the telescope itself and it is .965". I now have an Edu Science telescope somebody just gave me because they know I'm getting into it. It must also be .965" so I'll probably get a better diagonal adapter and piece together something to give to somebody whose kid might be interested in astronomy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics